5.2 Earthquake
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.2 Earthquake

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member

5.2 Earthquake

Did anyone feel that earthquake this morning? It weren't no hangover that was shaking!

5.2 earthquake rattles skyscrapers, nerves across Midwest

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing
    Did anyone feel that earthquake this morning? It weren't no hangover that was shaking!

I slept right threw it but the news says we did rumblee a bit

Marie

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing

Yeah brother...it knocked a a picture down off the wall!! I was sure it was that old lady ghost that lives with us, but then I heard about this earthquake!!

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

I was talking to one of my friends who i served with. He lives in Chicago and said it woke him out of his sleep. He lives in an apartment and first he thought it was his neighbor getting busy by banging the headboard against his wall....lol

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

ya i didnt feel it either but everyone else said they did. i slept right through it. im up by chicago. but who else isnt asleep at like 4 a.m.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Earthquakes in the Midwest?

So now besides tornados we have to live under the dark cloud of an earthquake. Being from the west coast, I am kinda used to quakes, but I have to admit when I felt that little rumble in Michigan in 96 I was a little unnerved. Now that I know the history of earthquake fault lines in the midwest and south, I feel safer on the west coast then in the midwest.

Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Felt it in southern Ohio, and parts of northern Ky.

I love earth quakes, I was born in Sonoma CA and lived there for 18 years threw some of the biggest quakes cali had seen in 100 years. I remember in high school i wouldn't get out of my bed for anything under a 6.2. My bed was rocking one night and i think it turned out to be a little 5.6 or so when i woke up i sat up in my bed and was like "not even a 6er" and feel back asleep just as quick as i had woke up.

This makes two in a week... Hope this is not a preamble to something bigger.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Description of the New Madrid Earthquake that created Reelfoot Lake in 1811
    The quakes caused much destruction along the Mississippi River as far south as present-day Memphis and as far up the Ohio River as Indiana. During the strongest of the quakes, great cracks and fissures opened and spewed out sand and water. Gaping crevices formed, some twelve feet wide and deep and more than twenty feet in length.
    That would really screw up the modern day Mid-West transportation system. It would make Hurricane Katrina look like a moderate inconvenience.

I have just read the article you posted. You are right... the human consequences of such a natural disaster these days would be incalulatable. The last ones happened only a year before the Lewis/Clark expedition. I wonder what type of geographical effects they would have noted such a short time after.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    ONE OF THE LARGEST FAULT LINES ON THE PLANET RUN'S IN THE MIDWEST OF THE U.S.OF A!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    LCpl, a preamble has to be an introductory fact or circumstance. Your use of the word is incorrect in the current context. A correct choice of words would have been premonition or forewarning; I am an English Major.

Credits
    Savings
    When I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area there was always a threat of "The Big One" and falling off into the sea. It didn't help to have the San Andreas Fault right next door along with Los Alamos and Lawrence Livermore Laboratories in close proximity. I experience a few.
    Now that I am in Florida there doesn't seem to be an earthquake threat unless it comes from the ocean floor and the following tsunami...big time and the prognosis that Florida will be covered with water. Either way my azz will be grass even if I do know how to swim.
    FISTFU68- I believe that the fault goes through Illinois if memory serves me correctly and it is, as you say, a biggie.

Credits
    Savings
    Ooops, I omitted the letter "d" on the word experience. Please send me to my room. LOL
    I understood what PaulR was saying, in print, regardless of the correct or appropriate word used but it is always good to be shown a better choice of word/words.
    As much as I would hate to admit...I'm terrified of being corrected, in terms of my use of the english language, written or spoken. It must have been all those run-ins with English Majors in the past.
    Adios, for now.
    Gary

Thread Information