Do you miss it? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you miss it?

Oh come on Gunny, being a lifer you had/(have?) to overlook the nonsense due to your career choice. Not that you didn't (don't) see it, just you had to ignore it to maintain your sanity.

That is unless you were airwing, then you were more than likely sheltered from such nonsense and haven't a clue as to what went on in the ranks of the Corps you served to support. Did I say 0311?
    Ooops now I did it.
    Oh, and on a personal note, I was a PFC for 18 months until the day I requested to see a lawyer. The problem, I was told by the Company CO, was that I was too quiet. I thought keeping my mouth shut and doing my job was key to success. Not so.

A PFC for 18 months, wow you were almost a Terminal PFC. My heart bleeds for you. I did 10 years as a Sgt. and only reason I got promoted was I became a Drill Instructor. Life in the Corps, I love it.

H*ll yeah I miss it. My time in is why, to this day, I am a loner. After EASing I tried the friend thing, but realized they were not of the same caliber as my Marine brothers. They were friends as long as it was benificial for them to be. But when the sh*t got deep they bailed on me. So I have become sonewhat of a hermit. I rarely go out to social functions, and when I do I generally keep to myself, and am polite, watching the clock for when I can gracefully extracate myself from the fake friendly BS. The only true friends I ever had were my Marine brothers.

Definitely miss it! all of it except the field days, shots, hurry up and wait, standing in line at the chow hall, field days, weapons cleaning for eight hrs., standing in line at the armory, cattle cars, standing in line at B.A.S for more shots after spending the morning field daying the hooch.....aside from that and a few other inconveniences I miss the simple honesty of Marine Corps life.

Semper Fi...

I miss it hell yes. We all *****ed when we were in. Don't mean **** now. I miss you my brothers.

I miss it all the time. Younger Marines will be the same way. Now I go thru life dealing with mouthy sh*t birds that someone said coould be a manger and they can't find their butts with a flashlight and compass. Like the turd I work with now, went from a waiter to an internet manager at work and spends his days reading marketing magazines and telling us how to do things. At least in the Corps you knew that even the lowlest sh*tbird could do his job.

Miss it all the time, wished I would have stayed for 30 years, Semper Fidelis Forever.

I miss it more and more everyday. At 49 though, according to the new standards, I'm too old for the Corps. That sucks.

Might as well make this my first post here, I miss the **** out of it. Been out for only six months after 5 years in and I'm already looking at going back in. Same as most everyone else on this thread I had plenty of days where I lamented the daily BS and minor annoyances of Marine Corps life, but now I sit here going through school and doing part time apartment management and all I can think of how much I miss living a life of purpose. I miss the brotherhood more than anything on this earth, the knowledge that no matter how ****ty things are, there is a brother right there with you hating it just as much as you, and on the converse side, when things are awesome they are right alongside, going, "I don't know how the f**k we just made it through that, but holy sh*t that was awesome." Semper Fi brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by MJV View Post
    Might as well make this my first post here, I miss the **** out of it. Been out for only six months after 5 years in and I'm already looking at going back in. Same as most everyone else on this thread I had plenty of days where I lamented the daily BS and minor annoyances of Marine Corps life, but now I sit here going through school and doing part time apartment management and all I can think of how much I miss living a life of purpose. I miss the brotherhood more than anything on this earth, the knowledge that no matter how ****ty things are, there is a brother right there with you hating it just as much as you, and on the converse side, when things are awesome they are right alongside, going, "I don't know how the f**k we just made it through that, but holy sh*t that was awesome." Semper Fi brothers.
    From what I keep reading on here from retreads trying to get back in they're not taking any prior service Marines because of the drawdown. But, if that's what you decide to try and do good luck to you. Would not blame you for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    From what I keep reading on here from retreads trying to get back in they're not taking any prior service Marines because of the drawdown. But, if that's what you decide to try and do good luck to you. Would not blame you for trying.
    Roger that Top, it seems to be the way of things, if I can't get in now I've still got a few years to keep trying. Fingers crossed that we get into it with some other country and they need to bump numbers up again.

Quote Originally Posted by MJV View Post
    Roger that Top, it seems to be the way of things, if I can't get in now I've still got a few years to keep trying. Fingers crossed that we get into it with some other country and they need to bump numbers up again.
    Looking more-and-more like Iran since they don't want to talk about their nuclear program. Israel says this summer is the latest the world can wait to do something about it. Seems to me though, we would need to beef up our numbers before getting into a shooting war with them. Because of the budget, the Navy is pulling one of its carriers out of the straight (leaving only one there).

Of course, you can't rule out the nut job in North Korea. He may want to exploit the situation with Iran (and he already has nukes!).

I would say you won't have to keep your fingers crossed for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Looking more-and-more like Iran since they don't want to talk about their nuclear program. Israel says this summer is the latest the world can wait to do something about it. Seems to me though, we would need to beef up our numbers before getting into a shooting war with them. Because of the budget, the Navy is pulling one of its carriers out of the straight (leaving only one there).

Of course, you can't rule out the nut job in North Korea. He may want to exploit the situation with Iran (and he already has nukes!).

I would say you won't have to keep your fingers crossed for very long.
    Amen to that Top, I pay closer attention to the news now than I ever did when I was in lol. But it looks like the world is headed up sh*t creek in a hurry and one thing you can count on is wherever there's sh*t, there will be Marines.

You know I havent been on this site in a very long time. Obviously after bootcamp I was all gung ho and wanted to be a lifer. Upon hitting the fleet my whole dream came crashing down. I realized that the Marine Corps I thought existed was in fact a fantasy I was looking forward to living. I hated the next 2.5yrs. I am actually in the process of getting out. Now there will be many things I miss such as the easy money, and benefits. My friends have either PCSd or EASd by now and only a few of us remain. Also in this the <4 yrs Ive been in I really did not feel this camaraderie everyone speaks of. Out in country everyone is really close because its only us but upon returning its completely different and everyone does their own thing to get away from other Marines. I won't miss the hurry up and wait, going to pointless formations 1 hour early, garrison BS that does not matter in combat, long lines for the simplest things, CIF (I hope it burns down) there are many things that I do hate, BUT the truth is while I hate the current state of the Corps and retarded leadership Ive have to deal with... I will miss being an Active Duty Marine. A person that wore that uniform everyday and regardless of the BS and b*tchin always got the job done quickly and efficiently. Ill miss leading junior Marines and actually doing my job as a radio operator, not this bs of "your boots are muddy" (ya its raining). I guess I have mixed emotions about getting out and Ill probably miss it. Its been a fun ride but am ready to open another chapter in my book. I wouldnt want to lose a marriage over a job. Im sorry that isht happened to you Top.

Understand what you're saying Tookie22. Being a lifer is not for everyone obviously. I actually got out myself after my first enlistment. This was in 1976 under the Carter administration when there were fuel embargos and long lines at gas stations. He granted amnesty to all the Vietnam war draft dodgers and brought the boat people over from Vietnam (I couldn't find a job but our government made sure they did). Stayed out for about a year and went to college on my GI Bill. My old recruiter called me and offered me my Sgt chevrons back if I reenlisted (should've come back in as a Cpl after being out so long) so took him up on it (lost all my time in grade however).

You won't be able to understand this because you haven't lived it but things change quite a bit once you hit the SNCO ranks. Does not get any easier, you gain more responsibilities and your leadership responsibilities grow too obviously. Best part though is you get to lead more troops and experience more challenges like a special duty assignment (DI, Recruiter, or MSG as a detachment commander).

Looking forward to getting out and startng a new chapter is fine; like I said, I did it. But, the grass is not always greener on the other side. The 1st CivDiv is not all it's cracked up to be either. You may not be happy with your current leadership but at least you have some; out here, it's nonexistant. It's common on this site to see former Marines who regret their decision to get out and are trying to get back in (with no success). Just don't leave believing your life as a civilian will be a bed of roses because it won't work that way. I always like to say "be careful what you ask for because you may just get it"!

Losing my marriage to a tour on OKI was tough at the time. Saw it happen many times but never thought it would happen to me. But, it is an occupational hazard. Half the marriages in our country fail and even more do in the military services for obvious reasons (numerous long separations being #1). All my friends told me my ex never really loved me and was only looking for a green card (met her on embassy duty in Nicaragua) but I was "in love" and didn't want to hear it. Well, turned out to be true so she hooked up with Jody while I was on the rock. Luckily for me, we never had any kids. Learned my lesson though and never walked down the aisle again. Actually, I owe her a lot because being a single SNCO made things a lot easier (and more fun the second time I went to OKI if you know what I mean!).

Good luck to you and enjoy your life as a civilian.

Thread Information