Do you miss it?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you miss it?

Do you miss it?

I don't know about how a lot of you Marines feel but I miss the **** out of the Marine Corps. In a lot of ways thats why I came to this site, to be able to feel apart of it all again and connect with Marines again. Like some of you I could not wait to get that DD214 in my hand and get the hell out of Camp Lejeune and never have to drive down to the PX to buy beer (while i'm already completely smashed). So when my time came I took all of my stuff and packed it into my car and sat my boots in the passenger seat next to me. Before I left I slapped a bunch of moto bumper stickers on my Section Leaders truck and drove to the gate - where i stopped held up traffic and laced my boots togeather and threw them onto the telephone wire where they will hang till PMO takes them down, than I sped off. But since than sitting here all alone watching my brothers die it came to me, I miss the Marine Corps - Never would I have ever thought i'd miss it while i was active. But here I sit missing the **** out of it. So my question is basically this - do you miss the AD life, and do you wish you could return. If i was not 50% SC for PTSD I would be back in right now but that is no longer an option. So sound off Marines, sound off! Semper FI! KILL, KILL, KILL!!

You better believe I miss it. There is nothing like the days spent woking my ass off to see that CH46E make mission later on. Nothing like the BSing with your brothers and sisters to make the day go by faster. Miss being senior and picking on the new guys in the shop. Busting each others chops and of course the fridge full of Mt Dew because on long nights food just wasn't that important. Last but not least I miss the great commraderie that we had in a tight unit. Oh forget it I could go on forever. I miss it everyday but I also remember why I got out everytime I look at my children.

I miss it for about the same reasons.

At first, i was happy about being out of the Corps. No one was on your case about this or that. Long hair and a beard.
    But after about 1 year of the civilian life, i started to miss the commraderie of the corps. Missed the "field-ops" with my squad. Missed the BS sessions about leave and the women that they "hooked up" with.
    I soon learned that i would have work friends and friends. But i would never ever again have buddies. You know, the kinda of guys that would kill or be killed for you. I will never have guys that i know will have my back in any situation.

That is what i truly miss about the Corps.

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

I was the same way couldn't wait to get out couldn't wait to be a PFC(PROUD F****NG CIVILIAN) I started missing the ways guys had your back and you had theirs. I missed it so much that i've found six of my friends i haven't spoken to in 22 years and were having a reunion this year. If i could go back and change time i would have stayed in. I miss working hard during the week and playing hard during the weekends.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT DO OR DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader20
    I miss it for about the same reasons.

At first, i was happy about being out of the Corps. No one was on your case about this or that. Long hair and a beard.
    But after about 1 year of the civilian life, i started to miss the commraderie of the corps. Missed the "field-ops" with my squad. Missed the BS sessions about leave and the women that they "hooked up" with.
    I soon learned that i would have work friends and friends. But i would never ever again have buddies. You know, the kinda of guys that would kill or be killed for you. I will never have guys that i know will have my back in any situation.

That is what i truly miss about the Corps.

man you hit that right on the head. You have friends and work friends but you dont have buddies. Thats the best way Ive heard someone describe it.
    I couldnt wait to get the hell out of Horno. Drove away and told everyone we would stay in touch and wed be best friends for life and I've never heard or seen most of them again. I miss the hell out of it but then I tell myself even if I were to go back again , never would I have the same caliber of friends that I did then. So Im just glad that I was able to have friends even for that short period of time that I was able to become brothers with.
    Luckily for me I still have a whole new set of Marine friends back home. All are former Marines right around the same age, we all still talk and act like were dumbass jarheads on libo, so I still have alot of what I miss. Semper Fi Marines.

My brothers...no where else on earth, will we ever see the kind of comraderie and dedication to each other but our beloved Corps. I still think it, live it and dream it without even trying!! Nobody else but another Marine could even begin to understand what we go through when we miss our brothers and the lifestyle and just being a part of something so damn perfect, you know? I got out after 12 years to be with my wife and kids and I still regret it. I know my kids don't but it was more than like leaving a family, it was leaving a part of me behind I know that I'll never get back. I think its still a part of me but you can't care about something so deeply without giving something of yourself to make it yours and thats what I feel I left behind. Its something that I helped make and shape for the future generations of Marines! My heart, my blood and sweat and even sometimes my tears. I tried talking about this stuff with the ol' lady or another good friend who just don't get it...only my brothers, those who were there....truly understand...thank you, my brothers...for being there when I needed you.

I missed it so much I tried to go back in after being out over 5 yrs was almost in when we got a memo from HQ USMC saying because I would have been a S/Sgt by then if I had stayed in and woulld have to come back as a L/Cpl ( I was a Sgt) I could not get back in. Man what a bummer that was.

I think we all miss it to some degree. There is nothing like waking up (too early) in the morning and putting on that uniform. Clearly, all of us that didn't retire from the Marine Corps saw greener pastures and went a different direction. But, nowhere in life will we have the bonds that we had in the Marines.

I guess there's a reason why the majority of my close friends are Marines. We can relate to one another, we have a common experience. Whether they are now driving a school bus or are working as a vascular surgeon, we all have that one thing in common.

There are days, yes, I miss it. But there are other days I can say I do not. All good things must come to an end and we take another path laid before us. I took what I could from that four years and use it everyday, so in essence, I am still in. As they say, "Once a Marine, Always a Marine." It's just in my heart and soul.

Credits
    Savings
    Absolutely miss it. Many days I wish I stayed in. I didn't ,so there is not much sense in dwelling on it. I continue to live my life with the same discipline, integrity, etc..... that exemplify the Corps. Hopefully my kids will pick up some of that.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    When I was married I didn't miss it too much. Now that I'm pretty much single, yes I do miss The Corps.

I miss my brothers and sisters

Hello Everyone,
    I miss the H#$% out of the corps now. I too could not wait to get my DD214 and get the blank out of cherry point. But now, over 5 years later, I realize what it meant to be part of such a close knit group. We all shared at least one thing in common, which was being a Marine. Even if we talked different, came from different places, didn't like the same music, or even if we didn't like each other at times, we were still Marines, and that is something that will never die. To this day, if I see or meet another one of the few and proud, I try to make a point to thank that person for their service.

I don't regret for one minute being a "lifer". It cost me my marriage but I chalked that up as an occupational hazard.

There is no feeling in this world that could ever match leading a group of hard-charging Devil Dogs. For me, that is the part I miss the most.

Heck yes I miss it. I can trust Marines, it is civilians I have a problem with.

Every....davmn....day.

Luckily, my part time job is with the United States Marine Corps Historical Company...so I get to be around Marines and do cool stuff STILL.

It's my dream job and I love it.

But yeah...I miss 'the suvck' too.

Thread Information