Running Question
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running Question

i know i'll be able to pass boot but my main concern is my running. My recruiter even said he would expect me to make the 3 mile run easily but i am still concerned. I can easily push myself to the limit but i need to be able to rebound from that. When i run, i dont know how to properly eat before running or when to drink so i usually end up eating a little something that probably amounts to maybe about 1/4 of a bagel and then wait a while and then run. Then after i just chug down water. But when i am running, my lungs and stomach does not take it so well which always eventually ends up in me feeling nauseated and sometimes even puking. I dont care about that, but i need to be able to bounce back up form that. 2 Poolee functions ago, we ran i'd say atleast 3 miles. and after i booked it up this steep hill i puked along with some other recruits. But then when i caught up to the group and was continuing my jogging, i didnt feel nauseas but i lost a TON of energy and out of nowherei started getting a cramp. I eventually booked it again to come in first but i threw up again after that lol. And then i felt like i was going to pass out because i has absolutely no energy left in me, so i got some water and then gained energy back and went on to the martial arts part of the meeting and felt energized again. So how the hell can i fix this? How can i stop my body from breaking down after puking? Puking is inevitable because i dont know why but my lungs just arent meant for running anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by FeMzZ
    i know i'll be able to pass boot but my main concern is my running. My recruiter even said he would expect me to make the 3 mile run easily but i am still concerned. I can easily push myself to the limit but i need to be able to rebound from that. When i run, i dont know how to properly eat before running or when to drink so i usually end up eating a little something that probably amounts to maybe about 1/4 of a bagel and then wait a while and then run. Then after i just chug down water. But when i am running, my lungs and stomach does not take it so well which always eventually ends up in me feeling nauseated and sometimes even puking. I dont care about that, but i need to be able to bounce back up form that. 2 Poolee functions ago, we ran i'd say atleast 3 miles. and after i booked it up this steep hill i puked along with some other recruits. But then when i caught up to the group and was continuing my jogging, i didnt feel nauseas but i lost a TON of energy and out of nowherei started getting a cramp. I eventually booked it again to come in first but i threw up again after that lol. And then i felt like i was going to pass out because i has absolutely no energy left in me, so i got some water and then gained energy back and went on to the martial arts part of the meeting and felt energized again. So how the hell can i fix this? How can i stop my body from breaking down after puking? Puking is inevitable because i dont know why but my lungs just arent meant for running anymore.
    Well, after puking, there's nothing for your body to run on, so there's no question that you'll feel weak afterwards...that's inevitable in that situation. But to help reduce your chances of puking, eat dry foods (just the food themselves w/o liquids, such as milk) about 30 minutes before running (ex:cereal, toast, trail mix, chex mix) and drink about 3 1/2 cups of water. 30 minutes should give your body enough time to process it. Afterwards, eat up and drink up, remember to replenish wisely: you should know the rest about what to eat and what not to eat.

Oh yeah, remember to stretch well to prevent chances of muscle cramping.

Sounds to me like you need to try eating longer before your run. Food in your stomach isn't giving you anything anyway. You need to digest the carbs before your run if you want them to give you energy.

It isn't an answer for boot camp, but energy gels may be helpful to you while you're training.

Your lungs aren't meant for running anymore???

BS. And you who can't wait to wade into them Middle Eastern folks and their scorching desolate environments. Inexperienced towards hard work is what you are, and thats my scrutinous guess. It takes effort and patience to get conditioned and years to get tough. If you don't exert and suffer almost daily, then jogging at the park or poolee meeting or to the store for a soda and posing in the mirror after pull-ups will not git anybody tough or in great shape. Breaking a sweat and puking will not make you tough. Sustained daily effort does it changing your mind and body over time.

If you don't work hard at least a few hours everyday except your designated day off you wont be tough two years from now, and thats what you need to suck up the puzzling pain and energy lapses your experiencing, most of which will diminish vastly with extended daily hard work. There's no cheating this video game. Keep on pushing through and pick up the pace and your questions will be answered.

--->Dave

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

Femzz, you said you know that you can make boot camp.....Wrong answer if you can't make runs you won't make it through and i'm not trying to be harsh just truthful. You better suck that sh*t up!!!

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun
    Your lungs aren't meant for running anymore???

BS. And you who can't wait to wade into them Middle Eastern folks and their scorching desolate environments. Inexperienced towards hard work is what you are, and thats my scrutinous guess. It takes effort and patience to get conditioned and years to get tough. If you don't exert and suffer almost daily, then jogging at the park or poolee meeting or to the store for a soda and posing in the mirror after pull-ups will not git anybody tough or in great shape. Breaking a sweat and puking will not make you tough. Sustained daily effort does it changing your mind and body over time.

If you don't work hard at least a few hours everyday except your designated day off you wont be tough two years from now, and thats what you need to suck up the puzzling pain and energy lapses your experiencing, most of which will diminish vastly with extended daily hard work. There's no cheating this video game. Keep on pushing through and pick up the pace and your questions will be answered.

--->Dave
    Very well said Slinger,,,,,,,Whats wrong with pukin, and driving yourself after your brain says your going to die? LOOKIN FOR A DAMM ROSE GARDEN AGAIN.

In terms of hydration we are always told last nights water is being used today. Basically I like to stop drinking about 30 minutes before a run, and at that point your urine should be clear.

In terms of eating... well I'm trying to lose weight but you want to take in carbs early enough so they can be digested. You puke because digestion takes up a LOT of energy, and your body can only apportion it to so much, so if your popping your heart running it wants to end that task of digestion.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    ANOTHER COUNTRY HEARD FROM. Send it to Ophra.

Try eating some yogurt or an apple 15 minutes before your workout. Also, keep in mind to stay hydrated throughout the day. As far as the nausea part, maybe you are running too fast and should slow down your pace a little bit til you can run that particular distance without feeling like crap, then work on the speed.

Banana and peanut butter on a slice of toast. Wash it down with plenty water. That's what I usually do before a run. Seems to help.

I agree that you need to keep pushing and pushing. It will hurt and it will suck A$$, but as a few Marines have said its the only way. I always run after lunch not long before supper i usually eat an apple before i go or something like that. Make sure you stretch before and after you run. I also eat a peanut butter sandwhich ater i get back for protein. Running is hard at first but the most important thing to remember is mind over matter. And when your running remember the Marines core values Honor, Courage, and Commitment. That will keep you moving good luck Poolee : )

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

You also could expel too much air when you run, it's good to run with your mouth shut and breath normally through your nose.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

I dont eat anything before I run. When possible I run in the morning before breakfast. Or right now I run after school for track. Keep yourself hydrated and take a dump before you run always help. Learn to breath correctly as darkgreen0311 said. Also if you are eating anything before you run increase the time before you eat and run

Running

A Sergeant i used to run with told me to breath in through your nose and out through your mouth.

Thread Information