OCS and Bootcamp...different much?
Create Post

OCS and Bootcamp...different much?

Alright Marines. Another question for you. I've seen some video on what boot looks like, and so I've got a good idea about that. But is Officer Candidates' School much different, lifestyle wise? I searched and couldn't find anything, but point me in the right direction if this has been covered. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 101matt1
    Alright Marines. Another question for you. I've seen some video on what boot looks like, and so I've got a good idea about that. But is Officer Candidates' School much different, lifestyle wise? I searched and couldn't find anything, but point me in the right direction if this has been covered. Thanks.

OCS and TBS are very different from bootcamp. You are being trained for a very different purpose, to LEAD men. There are many differences and the experience is very different.

All officers must go through TBS regardless of how they became an officer, whether it was Annapolis, MECEP, OCS or whatever. Even prior enlisted who become officers go through TBS...

Google search: OCC-186, Making of a Marine Corps Officer.

This is a good place to start getting an idea.

officer candidates get liberty on the weekends

camper... I wouldn't say that they are being trained to LEAD... 'cause they have to follow just as much as we do. There is more diverse training involved... same stuff different technique.

example, Enlisted get broken down and do what Marines do, PT and drill.
    Officers get broken down and do what officers do PT and drill.

while enlisted March everywhere in platoons officers run everywhere so that they are ready to lead from the front. different techniques of training.

Hmm...alright. Thanks for the reply Marines. I'm kind of liking the sound of this, really. If you're pretty much free on the weekends, but have to work harder in actual OCS, that's fine by me. I work when I work, and I relax when I relax. Sounds pretty good. Plus the fact that I'll be leading my fellow Marines will be the best part. Thanks again for the help Marines!

Mostly based on the information I've heard, Enlisted boot camp focuses more on the mental and knowledge part of shaping into a Marine, but the Officer side focuses more on the physical part because they all already have college degrees.

Any Officer I've ever met is a hard charger when it comes to PT.

Sgt. Petzold
    You need to update your PROFILE.

Thread Information