US Marine Corps/why/when
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

US Marine Corps/why/when

Sgthermogenesm:
    Why did you join the Marine corps???????

Old topic but the Navy recruiter told me to come back after I graduated, so I walked next door and the Marine recruiter was more than willing to take me if my parents signed the papers.

This was in 1968 during the Vietnam conflict and the Marines were taking all kinds of bodies back then, even a lot of draftees.

I had run away from home and was in Eureka, Ca. (Way up north) and now I had to get home to Colorado. The parents signed and in a few days I was on my way back to Eureka then San Francisco to go through AFEES (Armed Forces Entrance Examination Center, now MEPS) and finally San Diego courtesy of the government. The rest is history, that was the best choice I ever made in my life and I have never regretted it...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Cause I was looking for a few good men myself! Dammit! I LOVE when I get to use that!

I joined the Corps because I didn't know there were other branches of service to choose from. LOL!

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Dark Green 0311

I wanted to be a Marine ever since i was ten years old. I turned down a brand new car and college to join the Marines. It was something i had to do for myself and i knew they were the best and and i wanted to see if i had what it took to be a Marine. I also have no regrets i'd do it all over again and that was in 1982.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Cause I was looking for a few good men myself! Dammit! I LOVE when I get to use that!

I joined the Corps because I didn't know there were other branches of service to choose from. LOL!
    Thanks Kim made me spit my juice all over the montor and keyboard

Ellie

My Dad is a 30 year Navy Master Chief, so the Army was out
    The Navy blew me off when i talked to them. Didn't even give me a brochure.
    Never went to either the Air Force or Coast Guard. (May have had a different life)
    Marine Recruiter was outside, asked me one question. "Do you think your tough enough?"

Why did I join?

Because there was a war on and I wanted to fight.

SF, Jay

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I wanted to be a Marine from the time I was old enough to understand the difference. My family had a tradition of Marine Corps service. There was no other option for me, in my mind.

Going to war was a possibility I fully accepted, but Vietnam was essentially over for the Marine Corps when I enlisted. It was pure chance that things hotted up and I was in the right unit at the right time to go there anyway.

I do not regret my decision to enlist, nor do I regret going to Vietnam despite some unpleasant times. I learned many things about life, in boot camp and in Vietnam.

I knew very little about the Corps but my best friend had a brother that had been in and talked me into joining with him. I dont regret on miniute of it. I know I am a better man today because of the Corps.

On my Fathers side, my Grandfather retired with 27 years in the Navy, my Pop and both uncles served during Viet Nam, and on my Mothers side, her father served in the US Army during WWII all over Europe, while her brother served as a Crypy in the USN during Viet Nam...so there was no question as to my service to our country. I initally joined the Corps to pi$$ off the family as they werent thrilled with having a Jarhead in the family...It passed, and I am grateful to be a Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    Dad was the first Marine in the family. I was going to prove to him I could do anything he did. Pretty stupid reason looking back.

No jobs worth a hill of beans up home. The steel industry whent away. When I left there wasn't even a Wal-Mart with in 30 miles.

Knew I didn't whant to go to college. Even if I did parents couldn't afford it.

Felt then, and still do that every one should serve. All the recruiters were in the same building with doors facing each other. The Marines were the only professionals in the building. There was one Navy recruiter that looked like he might have been hard. He was squared away, but all 3 Marines were squared away and none had a gut. Parents made me bring home recruiters from all branches and that just solidified my stand to join the Marines.

I don't regret the choice. I would do it again. Got to live in a warmer climate and met the wife.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    John Wayne made me do it,,,, Any Probs with that????????

Quote Originally Posted by darkgreen0311
    I turned down a brand new car and college to join the Marines
    Damn JB, that gold 82' Brougham might be worth a couple thousand cash today!

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

Yeah i would think so....lol

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

I Live In This Great God Given Country, I Reap The Benefits, I Owed It To My Country To Serve. And If I Was Going To Serve, I Was Going To Do It With The Leanest. Meanest, Green Fighting Machine Man Could Produce. God-country-corps
    Semper Fi

Thread Information