Marine Corps Band ...
Create Post

Marine Corps Band ...

Do all of the "Marines" in the Marine Corps Band attend basic training at one of the Marine Corps "boot camps" ??

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Recruit Training (Boot Camp)
    Marine Band members are the only members of the U.S. Armed Services not required to undergo recruit training.
    The Marine Band's mission is "to provide music and perform such other functions as are directed by the President of the United States and the Commandant of the Marine Corps." Unlike other Marine Corps musical units, the Marine Band has no assigned secondary combat role, and its members are exempt from all such training. Marine Band musicians report to Washington fully trained to perform their primary duties in the accomplishment of the band’s unique musical mission. Therefore, there is no requirement for band members to undergo recruit training.
    New band members are instructed by the Drum Major in appropriate military and band-related subjects. This ongoing process of instruction gives each musician essential knowledge about his or her role in the U.S. Marine Corps.

Drum and Bugle "Commandant's Own" Is required recruit training. I believe that only the "Presidents Own" is not required recruit.

Unlike other Marine Corps musical units, the Marine Band has no assigned secondary combat role, and its members are exempt from all such training.
    Actually, band members who aren't a part of the President's Own still have to go to bootcamp. It is like any other job in the Marine Corps. Also, there are at least 4 bands that deploy to Iraq. If you look at the sleeves of the musicians in the President's Own, you will notice that they dont have crossed rifles in their rank. Every Marine is a Rifleman. That includes Marine Musicians.

I heard they start out as SSGT'S also.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    I heard they start out as SSGT'S also.

They do. My daughter's HS Spanish teacher was in the Marine Corps Band (he also teaches the school band). He has two degrees in music from Julliard, and most other MC Band members also have music degrees. So the Corps starts them off at a higher pay scale.

They have no command authority over non-band Marines when it comes to most matters.

The people in the President's Own start out as SSgts. All other Marine musicians start out as PFCs out of bootcamp.

Fontilara, I gotta tell you, the greatest instrument I ever seen anyone play is the one you hold in your profile pic.. instrument of death....SF

i tried out for the band back in 1973 and it was while in boot camp. PS wasn't good enough so had to do rest of boot camp as a recruit. but i still made it

I auditioned for the band in November and made it, and I'm going to boot camp in January.

Thread Information