Marine To Return To Iraq, Remembers Fallen Comrades
Tuesday, April 8, 2008 8:29 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A Lima Company Marine who returned from Iraq more than two years ago is preparing to go back to war.

Since the start of the war in Iraq, 23 Lima Company Marines have lost their lives.

"The incident on the August 3 was my platoon, I was about 100 yards away when that happened," Sgt. Gabriel Gonzales said.

Gonzales is one of ten Marine reservists from Lima Company who will be returning to Iraq, 10TV's Lindsey Seavert reported.

"Nobody is excited to go to war, but everybody wants to do their job," Gonzales said. "That is why I am an infantry Marine. I have been afforded all the opportunities in my life, so I can pay it forward."

Gonzales will leave his job as a financial analyst at the Defense Supply Center to be an officer in charge of a dozen other Marines. He said the lessons of loss will make him a better leader, Seavert reported.

"That is why I push myself so hard, to make sure they come home," Gonzales said.

He said the 23 Lima Company Marines who lost their lives will be right there with him.

"I feel their support from heaven," Gonzales said.

Nine of the ten Marines heading back to Iraq were deployed there in 2005. They will be assisting the 2nd Battalion 25th Marine Regiment. They are scheduled to be in Iraq for seven months.

Stay with 10TV News and 10TV.com for more information.

Ellie