Are all Marines equal?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Are all Marines equal?

I served as a scout swimmer/0311 with 31st MEU/SOC 1995-1996. I enlisted durring te Gulf War but it was long over by the time I got to the fleet. I have always been very proud of my time in, I wanted to be a marine since birth.

I was at a party with my best friend (whom has never served) this weekend. I was extremely offended by the coment. When pressing him he claimed that I did not deployed to war so I am not a "real marine". I do feel guilt that there are many marines that have had and are having a much more difficult time in.

My question: I would like to hear from other marines their opinion (that is the opinion that matters to me). Do you feel I am a lesser marine? Is there such a thing? Should I sever the relationship with my friend?

Credits
    Savings
    In my opinion you served your country.
    They did not deploy you.This does not make you any less a Marine.
    Secondly I question this "friend"
    What kind of person would even say these things ?
    What is his backround ?
    Thirdly-There is no glory in war-only survival

The Marine Corps is founded on teamwork. As long as you're on active duty, you're making your contribution to the overall team effort, therefore every Marine is equally important. As long as you do the job the Corps requires you to do, it's not your fault you weren't sent here or there, as long as you were ready, willing, and able to do what ever the Corps asked of you.

I know where you're coming from. My wife has four brothers who all were Army Korean war vets. One has, on a couple of occasions, made snide remarks inferring that I didn't really accomplish anything worthwhile in the military since I never set foot in Korea. No matter that the Corps chose to have me involved in activities equally important elsewhere.

However, when the other three and I all BS openly about our military experiences this one just sits there and keeps his mouth shut. Be it personality, adaptability, or whatever, I suspect something did not go well for him in the Army and he's stroking his own ego by trying to put me down. I've always wanted to ask one of the others.

It's possible your friend may have a few regrets that he never served.

crate

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart1
    I served as a scout swimmer/0311 with 31st MEU/SOC 1995-1996. I enlisted durring te Gulf War but it was long over by the time I got to the fleet. I have always been very proud of my time in, I wanted to be a marine since birth.

I was at a party with my best friend (whom has never served) this weekend. I was extremely offended by the coment. When pressing him he claimed that I did not deployed to war so I am not a "real marine". I do feel guilt that there are many marines that have had and are having a much more difficult time in.

My question: I would like to hear from other marines their opinion (that is the opinion that matters to me). Do you feel I am a lesser marine? Is there such a thing? Should I sever the relationship with my friend?
    My Fellow Marine......sigh.......I would re-evaluate that friendship if I were you! It's easy to say "you are less of a Marine", to someone when they have never served! Don't let his feelings of guilt drag you down, you served with Honor.....that's more than he can say!

Are you less of a Marine....Hell no! I'd share a fighting hole with you anyday!

Semper Fi my brother,

Dave

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member
    You should show him what you 'learned' in the Marine Corps and he will understand why nations don't generally fzck with us

You graduated boot, earned your EGA, you are a MARINE, tell him to kiss your ass.

Please fill out your profile.

We are all Marines and are the same. It is just based on when you were in, what you did but nothing changes the fact that you are a Marine and part of our brotherhood.

You were also in at a time there was not much going on, Somalia and Haiti were the big issues. The field and floats were all there was to do.

I agree with Crate, he may have regrets that he did not serve and may have some jealousy that you did and this is what he can not compete with.

In general the ones who only talk about war stories, brave ventures and secret missions more than likely did not do anything.

Always keep you head up and know that the honor of wearing the EGA is something no one can take from you and they can not buy, it is earned.

I'll drink a beer with you anytime.

As far as the comments he made, did you hand him his teeth after? At least a nice kidney shot for that smart azz remark?

There's a new thread started today by Ellie that has an interesting story, here's a quote relevant to your question.

I'm proud to have been a Marine Corps sergeant. Nothing spectacular by any measure of a career. No machine gun nests rushed, no rooms full of insurgents and terrorists neutralized, no Silver Stars. But no matter what the sum of my life tallies up to in the end, I will go to my grave knowing that, at least once, I did the right thing and for the right reasons. I could have done any number of things. I chose that.

So you got out as a Lance Coolie, still no mata

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    AT LEAST YOU HAD ENOUGH BALL'S TOO GO INTO THE USMC MARINE.I HAD A VERY BIG MOUTH UNCLE,WHO WAS AN E-7 SAT ON HIS AZZ;BUT ALL HE TALKED ABOUT WAS WAR.EVERYONE KNEW HE WAS A FRIGGING LIAR,MY PAPA ALL OF HIS BROTHERS MY UNCLES ALL SERVED.WELL DURING THE ANNUAL THANKSGIVING FAMILY GET TOGETHER,I CAME LIMPING IN;HE GOES JACKIE BOY AT LEAST I WASN'T DUMB ENOUGH TOO EAT A BULLET.THERE WERE 23 PEOPLE THERE,ALL FAMILY.I GO UNCLE RAY HERES THAT$20 I OWE YOU.I DROPPED IT AS BY ACCIDENT ON PURPOSE,AS HE BENT DOWN IN HIS CHAIR TOO PICK IT UP;I KICKED HIM HARDER IN THE FACE THAN I'VE EVER KICKED ANYTHING IN MY LIFE!THAT BIG MOUTH BASTARD STILL AIN'T CHEWING RIGHT.I'VE BEEN IN COMBAT,NEVER WANNA GO BACK;I'M NO BETTER THAN ANY OTHER MARINE.BUT I'M JUST AS GOOD,SOMETIMES A LITTLE BIT WORSE(LOL)RESPECT YOURSELF-F**K THEM MARINE!!!CONSIDER THE SOURCE YOU'R BUDDY IS A COWARD???

This friend of yours has never served so he really has no opinion in the first place. I'm just gonna say what everyone else says: It's not your fault that you were never deployed to a warzone. That doesn't make you any less of a Marine. As long as you are willing to go, that's all you can control.

I had a similar experience just last week. These really really stupid girls sitting behind me in my class were being stingy as hell and wouldn't let me borrow their extra lab sheets (that they didn't even need because their group had extras and my group had none). Anyway, one of the girls says to the other two girls about me "Don't be mean to her, she serves our country...part time." I was so ****ed off at that ignorant remark that I calmly snapped back with "Well, it's better than sitting on my ass eating cheetoes full time." (The girl who said that to me was really fat).
    Anyway my point is that just like you feel like less of a Marine sometimes for not having served in war, reservists get crap all the time too about "not being real Marines". The fact is, that every Marine is a real Marine. We all answered the call and are ready and willing to go fight our country's battles in a moment's notice. Whether we are called up or not is not in our control.

I felt the same way for a long time. When I went through boot in 99, we all thought that Kosovo was going to be a huge deal, and we were going there.
    Well it did'nt last long eather.

Since I've gotten into firefighting now, I've had that same conversation and then some with about every co worker I have. Now that I have done it for 4 years, not to mention the other years. Almost every engine, or hand crew asked me to come and work for them now. Including the Cedar City Hotshots, which only had 1 opening this year, and offered it to me first. Not because I'm such a better firefighter than they are, but because of my dedication, my commitment, and little things like pulling my engine out to wash it for something to do instead of sitting on my a$$. It's because I carried the same dedication thats required of every Marine over into fire and exercise it there.

Long story short, they don't say much now. Even when I bring up the military.
    It also does'nt hurt to bring up the conversation when your smoken em, humpin up a mountain carrying 25 lbs. more than they are. LOL

I'd have questioned his friendship then and there. Like Jack said...YOU were the one that had the balls to join the Marine Corps...not him!! A Marine is a Marine...no more, no less!! I don't believe in the PI Marine or Hollywood Marine crap either!! You are a part of the brotherhood...don't let ANYBODY ever tell you anything different!!!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart1
    I was at a party with my best friend (whom has never served) this weekend. I was extremely offended by the coment. When pressing him he claimed that I did not deployed to war so I am not a "real marine".
    Sounds like your best friend knew exactly what button to push to get under your skin. Was he trying to impress some girl at the party at that moment?

We had another of this type question back in the Marine Only forum.

We are all Marines. Just know that your best friend can no longer use that to get your goat!

Semper Fi

Thread Information