Are all Marines equal? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Just in case you're curious.......

With your help the decision has been made......

I was talking to my future father n' law (a crusty, angry, Viet Nam Era Marine). We had to come to decision of wether to invite my "best friend" to my wedding. My future father in law is going to knock him out if he shows.

If he's not invited to the wedding it will end the freindship. I decided this guy out of jealousy or whatever, doesn't respect me or my Marine Corps Swagger. I need to sever the tie. I've been thinking about it for days, I'm OK with that. Our fundementals are too out of sync.

Besides there will be several other Marines there, My father in law, his brother (just as crusty, not quite as angry). My brother from 2/5, A former recruiter my parents adopted (gave him a place to spend Christmas and what not) who is now a Master Sergeant. I feel his presence shows disrespect to them.

Any one of these guys would lay a nice beat down on him. Especially if he maintains the same attitude.

We really weren't that close anyway, more or less drinking buddies.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Welcome back to The Brotherhood!

We are all Marines no matter what our job was, we had a job to do and we did that's what it is all about. If he did not serve he has no right to pass judment on anyone.

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

A Marine is a Marine whether it be peace or war you've been through the hardest boot camp in the world if he was was my friend i'd probably severe ties with him. He probably couldn't do more than half of what you have accomplished.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart1
    My question: I would like to hear from other marines their opinion (that is the opinion that matters to me). Do you feel I am a lesser marine? Is there such a thing? Should I sever the relationship with my friend?
    No you are NOT a lesser Marine. You are a MARINE.

Should you sever your relationship with your friend? I can't answer that one, only you can decide if this friend is worth your time.

One of my best friends was in the Army as a chaplains assistant in Germany during the Vietnam era. Does he deserve any less respect for having served than I do? No, he doesn't. He did what the Army told him to do, just as I did what the Marine Corps told me to do. He may have been a lowly doggie (I just had to do it) but he enlisted and served. He deserves everything I do, no more, no less...

Blind old me. Guess I should have read all the posts before crafting my witty reply. I am glad things worked out for you. Any one who puts you down is NOT your friend, but only you can make the decision on whether to accept a person like that or not. ( I sure as hell wouldn't ) and I see that you won't either...

Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I served as a scout swimmer/0311 with 31st MEU/SOC 1995-1996. I enlisted durring te Gulf War but it was long over by the time I got to the fleet. I have always been very proud of my time in, I wanted to be a marine since birth.

I was at a party with my best friend (whom has never served) this weekend. I was extremely offended by the coment. When pressing him he claimed that I did not deployed to war so I am not a "real marine". I do feel guilt that there are many marines that have had and are having a much more difficult time in.

My question: I would like to hear from other marines their opinion (that is the opinion that matters to me). Do you feel I am a lesser marine? Is there such a thing? Should I sever the relationship with my friend?
    So are you a marine as some kind of sea animal or Marine. "Marine" is with a capital M if you are not a sea animal.

remember That Day Back In Sept 1992,when You Recieved Your "eagle,globe,and Anchor"?
    that's When You Became A Real "marine".

Remember That Day Back In Sept 1992,when You recieved Your "Eagle,Globe,and Anchor"?
    That's When You Became A Real "marine".]

Not deploying doesn't make you less of a Marine. Sure I gave a bunch of crap to guys that didn't deploy that where POGs or that where boots but i never not once ever thought of them as a lesser Marine. I have respect for anyone who joins the Marines like i did. If they didn't deploy oh freakin' well, you still served your country and **** that "kid" he wouldn't know anything about earning the title wearing the uniform or anything like that. War is over glorified and it is no fun. Semper Fidelis.

I served as a scout swimmer/0311 with 31st MEU/SOC 1995-1996. I enlisted durring te Gulf War but it was long over by the time I got to the fleet. I have always been very proud of my time in, I wanted to be a marine since birth.

I was at a party with my best friend (whom has never served) this weekend. I was extremely offended by the coment. When pressing him he claimed that I did not deployed to war so I am not a "real marine". I do feel guilt that there are many marines that have had and are having a much more difficult time in.

Doesn't sound to me like he's your "best friend" if he's going to talk to you like that. Plus, he wasn't/isn't even a Marine. His opinion counts for exactly NOTHING.

What the hell has he ever done besides sit on his ass and bask in the freedom that is ensured to him (and he most likely takes for granted) by everyone who does have/did have the spine to serve in one of the branches of our military?

Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ecfree
    remember That Day Back In Sept 1992,when You Recieved Your "eagle,globe,and Anchor"?
    that's When You Became A Real "marine".
    Once again....It's "Marine" with capital M

You are not a lesser Marine what you are is a lesser experienced Marine. Deployments don't make Marines. Drill Instructors make Marines and if you heard the words dissssmissed spoken by your Sr. Drill Instructor you are a Marine and always will be.

Your question is like saying because I have a Combat Action Ribbon you are not a real 03XX..... Sort of silly if you think about it. Tell your friend to grow up.

Please do not show up at a VFW (or actually not even on this site) and say , "man I was a Marine four years and I really wish I could of went to war" You may get knocked the f out. You are no less of a Marine but honestly I can see how it would bother you. Marines think that way. Marines that expeirenced some hard times really hate to hear a young man echo that statement I put in parenthesis above......YOU ARE NO LESS A MARINE SEMPER FI!!!!

pfft.
    You've come a long fckn way grunt brother.
    No man can take that away from you.

I feel guilty I didnt go through 90s bootcamp.

Thread Information