Asthma
Create Post

Thread: Asthma

Asthma

I was in the National Guard and they discharged me for asthma before i went to boot camp like 5 months ago and my Marine recruiter is doing a BUMED on me today. I gave him all my medical records since i was born and i was going through them and the last time i was seen for an asthma attack was in 2001 by my doctor since then i have taken 4 pulmonary function tests and they where all normal my most recent one was this past October. I also have a note from my doctor saying that i am do not have asthma now. When the National Guard discharged me they did not have any of my pulmonary tests. Is there any way you think the Marine Corps would give me a waiver?

Possibly, but getting a waiver for asthma these days is almost impossible. The bottom line is, it has a chance of recurring, and when it does, then the military is responsible, and they don't want that.

While waivers do happen, they are extremely uncommon.

Having problems with asthma after age 12 can cause some serious problems for someone wanting to enlist. However, a normal pft can help in many ways. All you can do is wait and see what BUMED says. It could easily go either way.

As a medic, I can tell you that if you had a documented asthma attack after the age of 13, the chances are bleak. Since you were medically discharged from the Army National Guard, I would not count on being brought into any other branch of service ever again.

I am sorry for the bad news.

Thread Information