Living Marine Up For Medal of Honor
Create Post

Living Marine Up For Medal of Honor

Does any Marine or anyone else have any information on the status of this case.

Article....
    By Brendan McGarry - Staff writer
    Posted : Monday Mar 16, 2009 16:37:41 EDT

The Marine Corps commandant said Wednesday that an investigator is reviewing a valor case that, if approved, would yield the first living recipient of the Medal of Honor in the war on terrorism. “We have a case that I sent an investigating officer out to take a look at on the West Coast that, if proven, I think will prompt me to recommend the Medal of Honor for a living Marine,” Gen. James T. Conway said. If the Corps were to make a formal nomination, the case would go to the secretary of the Navy for approval, followed by the secretary of Defense and then the president.

Conway did not identify the Marine or the country in which the Marine served. To date, five service members — two soldiers, two sailors and one Marine — have received the military’s top valor award for actions in Iraq and Afghanistan, all posthumously. Conway, who was speaking at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., as part of the National Defense Technology & Requirements Conference, described the fact that all five were killed in action as happenstance and not reflective of any kind of award standard.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...y_MoH_031109w/

"On the same day that President Barack Obama presented a posthumous Medal of Honor to Army Sgt. 1st Class Jared Monti at the White House, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said reviews are underway that may result in the nation’s top military honor being presented to a living recipient of the current wars."

http://marinecorpstimes.com/news/200...iving_091709w/

Thread Information