Reserve Deployment
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Reserve Deployment

Hi, I have a question about reserve duty. I am a 25 year old male who wants to sign on for reserve duty with the goal of serving in either Iraq/Afghanistan. I asked the recruiter if I would be able to volunteer to go Iraq/Afghanistan after boot camp (I understand that I would then have to go to SOI) and he said that I could. (Assuming that the reserve unit I am assigned to isn't about to deploy.) I am just wondering how often this happens. In other words, if I signed a contract as a reserve marine and then volunteered to go to either Iraq/Afghanistan would I be able to go with an active duty unit? Is there anyway to tell which unit is deploying there and when? Also, what MOS is needed in Iraq/Afghanistan the most? I want to sign on as an Infantryman (0311). I guess my basic question is what would be the best way for me to get to Iraq/Afghanistan if I enlisted this summer.

Also, I realize that my best option if I wanted to serve overseas would be to go active. The problem is that I am 25 and in a job I like (and one that is very hard to get) but I still want to serve. I would have joined active when I was younger but injuries prevented me. (I am waiting for Dr.'s clearance on those same injuries now.) Anyway, I feel that if I could sign on as a reserve marine and still be able to serve in Iraq/Afghanistan it would allow me to serve and keep my job (since they would have to keep it for me). Is this a realistic goal? I have asked the recruiter all of these questions, but since they are opinion questions I feel like its best to get a variety of opinions on them.

Thanks for all the help marines,

25 with a job. No excuse for not reading the rules.
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59447

wow...

anyway ..I would tell you that you can join a reserve unit. Once you join your unit , find out what infantry units are scheduled for a deployment. Even if that unit is from Alaska or whatever. Then transfer to that unit either right before they get activated or right after. Then you can do your deployment come back and stay with that unit or transfer back to your unit.

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry about not reading the rules, I don't have an excuse just being careless. I guess my question is how often do active duty units need another member before they deploy? I understand how the transfer works, I am just curious as to how often they take place. Do active duty units usually look for volunteers from other active duty units or would they take someone from the reserves? Also, is there any way to know which units are about to deploy. Thanks for the help.

Any information about transfering now will be outdated by the time it applies to you. Many variables are factored in. Mostly it depends on your MOS. However, the bright side is that CMC says that every Marine that wants to get into the fight should be given every opportunity.

Now, another thing you mentioned is your job. Reservists jobs are protected if they are ALREADY Reservists. There are no federal protections for your position if you leave to JOIN the Reserves. You had better check with your employer to see if he is voluntarily willing to offer your position back after 6-8 months of your IADT.

Also, there are no official listings of what units are going to deploy. That would be a violation of OPSEC. However, you can find out with tidbits of info here and there on the internet.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the help, rvillac2. I am a little surprised about the Reservists' jobs not being protected by law. That was the impression that I got after talking to the recruiters from the Marines. It shouldn't matter in my case because the recruiters were talking about scheduling boot camp for me during the summer break (I am a teacher). That would involve me missing only a week or so of work (providing I complete training on time). Out of curiousity, if I was able to get the time off to complete boot camp and was then deployed would my job be protected? I realize that they will not save my job if I had to leave for 5-6 months of IADT, but if I finished boot camp over the summer (and did not miss much work) and was then deployed (I realize that I would have to then be sent to SOI) would my job be safe? Or would they say that they did not have to protect my job because I joined the Reserves after I started working for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris24
    Thanks for the help, rvillac2. I am a little surprised about the Reservists' jobs not being protected by law. That was the impression that I got after talking to the recruiters from the Marines. It shouldn't matter in my case because the recruiters were talking about scheduling boot camp for me during the summer break (I am a teacher). That would involve me missing only a week or so of work (providing I complete training on time). Out of curiousity, if I was able to get the time off to complete boot camp and was then deployed would my job be protected? I realize that they will not save my job if I had to leave for 5-6 months of IADT, but if I finished boot camp over the summer (and did not miss much work) and was then deployed (I realize that I would have to then be sent to SOI) would my job be safe? Or would they say that they did not have to protect my job because I joined the Reserves after I started working for them?
    Reservists jobs ARE protected by law. BUT, you are not a Reservist yet. I am uncertain of your exact situation, but unless you're attending college full time, you are not eligible for the 92day program (boot in summer, SOI the next summer). That program is designed for college students, so that they would not miss school. Not for teachers.

Your employer is the only one who's opinion matters about your job, not the recruiters. Once you return from IADT, then you have several rights pertaining to your job. This includes preserving your job if you are involuntarily put on active duty. Note that I said INVOLUNTARILY. If you happen to volunteer (or augment) to deploy you may not be given the same treatment.

It doesn't matter if you joined after you were already employed. Once you are a Reservist, your current job has to honor your rights.

Hope I answered all your questions.

You are kind of screwed if you work in a "work at will" state (like CA) because even though your job is technically protected, you can also be fired for any reason without knowledge of why.....

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks again. That does answer all of my questions about that issue. It is not the answer I was hoping for, but it does clarify some things. I will make sure to talk to my employer.

Credits
    Savings
    Kbs95125, what is a "work at will" state?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris24
    Kbs95125, what is a "work at will" state?
    There are two types of employee/employer relationships, "At Will" and contract. The terms of employment for contract employees are specifically written in the contract. They may include the conditions when they may be terminated or when they can quit. Unionized employees are considered to be on contract.

"At Will" employees are all other employees. This means that they can either quit or be fired at any time for no reason at all. The only protections they have are from an wrongul termination. These are mostly federal protections against discrimination (gender, ethnic, religious) and harassment. These federal protections include rights for Reservists, too. This means the employer can still fire an employee, but the employee can sue them for damages or the right to regain their job.

Laws are different in every state. In California, you can fire someone whenever you want but they are eligible for unemployment benefits. This is money taken from an insurance policy that the employer must retain.

oops...

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how i would find out or gather information reguarding Deployment Schedules for the Reserves.

you could ask around and get tenative information, but you won't find any schedules because that would violate OPSEC

I think you are covered as far as them holding your job. Go to www.esgr.org and you will find out anything you need to know. We had a guy last year volunteer to go on active duty, and they have to hold his job for five years. He was not a Marine when he volunteered. I was already a reservist when I got deployed, but you are covered also. When you become a Marine, you can look at the available billets and volunteer for mobilization as long as your unit will release you. Keep in mind your unit you are assigned to does not have to release you.

Thread Information