OIF II and Fallujah fight 1st Mar - RCT 1 - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather12404 View Post
    first post here, just wanna say whats up to everyone on here. i was a grunt in 3/1 in nov of 04 during operation phantom fury, its pretty crazy to look back at all we went threw, but there isnt a day that goes by that i dont think of all my close friends i lost in fallujah.
    3/1 here as well both Fallujah and Haditha....miss my fellow brothers...we proved we really were the Balls of the Corps!

I was there with y'all...

check out what i just found.... Looks interesting.....

The Last 600 Meters (Movie)

The two deadliest battles of the Iraq War occurred in 2004. The Battle of Najaf was fought in the South against the Shiite Mahdi militia. The Battle of Falluja was fought in the West against Sunni insurgents. These brutal urban conflicts were not the high-tech battles the military had prepared for after the first Gulf War in 1991--but they are the face of modern warfare. This film tells the story of these battles, not through narration, but through the words and deeds of those who fought there.

Gina Pack
    Executive Producer

Leslie Sewell
    Coordinating Producer

Michael Pack
    Producer; Director

Runtime: 01 hr : 26 min

Bump... Anyone here anything about this movie yet?

Semper Fi!

2/2 Fox Co. attacjed to RCT-1

Al Mahmudiya, Al Kharma, Fallujah, and Al Zadan.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKnip0331 View Post
    Those days were absolutely a blur my friends. I was their during the called off assault in March and April '04. My old unit, brothers and younger guys from 3/1 went in during Phantom Fury, and I watched from home as my closest friends finished the job we should have been allowed to do six months earlier. It was a hard and terrible yet exhilirating feeling all at the same time as you wtched them push south from Route Mobile blow the breech lanes and commence what had to be done. My friends who didn't come home from that fight and the ones that followed will always be in my thoughts every day of my life.
    Blur is right, I was there Nov 8 2004 with 1/3 C co machine guns, it was my first deployment. Have any of you guys ever gone on google earth and found old houses you were in? I managed to find our last pos! I'll see if I can link it here somehow

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Arrow If there was a Campaign Book of OIF 2 and it was free to Marines . . .

Hello Devil Dogs! Back in 2004, while one MSgt Russ Whitney with Headquarters Bn, 1st MarDiv, I MEF was doing OIF2, I was stateside @ Pendleton working on a Campaign Book for him (yes, I am his wife). It took me 3 years and it's a Campaign Book of the entire Marine Corps (I, II, III MEFs, MarForRes and the Devil Docs that served with you). Entire Marine Corps means EVERY UNIT of every Regiment for every Bn for each of the MEFs (grunt units, wing squadrons, Intel, CEB, EOD, CAGs, etc). It's 24 chapters; 4700 pages; 4600+ photos; it recounts the battles, the holidays, life in the camps, deployments, redeployments, there are two chapters devoted to the Fallen (OIF 2, 3 and 4, and includes Devil Docs who served with you guys; not just names but a full page given to each Fallen, filled with photos and info I found on each one -- very respectfully and tastefully done) to mention a few. I had a website I put up for a year so that any Marine or Devil Doc (or your family and friends, too) could download it. Of course: it was totally free!

If you are interested in getting it or would like for me to email you the Table of Contents so you can see that and see what the full scope of the content is, I will gladly do that.

The book concludes on January 11, 2007 with Cpl. Jason Dunham's posthumously being awarded the Congressionl Medal of Honor. This seemed to be the fitting moment to conclude the project.

This publication was created as a gift to my husband who was over there, too, and so it's a 'private library collection' as I call it. It's not something that we ever intended to publish for profit. We just thought since I compiled a 'book' or collection of these events and memories that you Marines created, you might want a copy of it as well.

It's no small book! All total, it is about 277 megabytes. (I might have to put another website again.)

One of the attached files is the Portal page graphic for the website I spoke about. I have included it so that you can see the graphic of the Marines: this is a real photo of Marines in Iraq in 2004 (of course, I put two of these same photos back to back to create a much longer version of it, but it's Marines during OIF 2 just the same).

The other attachment is a graphic I created which looks like a book -- and it is. It's just a graphic of what the cover of the OIF2 Campaign Book ~A Personal Library Collection~ would look like.

Russ retired as MasterGuns in 2008 after serving over 24 years in the Corps. He was at Headquarters Marine Corps Quantico and now we are in the Lone Star. We miss the active duty life in the Marine Corps very much. Unfortunately, we don't get to keep our youth as long as we'd like and circumstances such as that sometimes require a change in plans. If there was any way we could have been able for him to stay Active Duty for 300 more years, we would have wanted to do that.

Post your thoughts here in this Forum and I will check back in to see what any of you might have to say about 'the possibility' of wanting to get the book. ~ Lawren Whitney ~

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	webcover_OIF2 CAMPAIGN BOOK - A Personal Library Collection_1257x768_.jpg‎
Views:	588
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	8388   Click image for larger version

Name:	OIF2 CampaignBook_book.jpg‎
Views:	618
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	8389  

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by zx6rdr View Post
    Bump... Anyone here anything about this movie yet?

Semper Fi!
    I did an online search (Dec 2009) and found:
    1. The film was shown @ Camp Pendleton's movie theater this past summer (http://www.scrippsranch.org/hottopic...asp?Number=344).
    2. The film was featured at the GI Fim Festival. The website whereby in 2008 is shows the same information you posted earlier about the film (http://www.gifilmfestival.com/2008/0...600meters.html).
    3. San Diego's North County Times news outlet featured an artilcle regarding it: http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/mi...9e1b0d412.html

And beyond that, I cannot find any other information. I attempted to locate the film at YouTube but was unsuccessful. Personally, I would have liked to have seen it or would like to see it so my search was not true altruism.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawren Whitney View Post
    Hello Devil Dogs! Back in 2004, while one MSgt Russ Whitney with Headquarters Bn, 1st MarDiv, I MEF was doing OIF2, I was stateside @ Pendleton working on a Campaign Book for him (yes, I am his wife). It took me 3 years and it's a Campaign Book of the entire Marine Corps (I, II, III MEFs, MarForRes and the Devil Docs that served with you). Entire Marine Corps means EVERY UNIT of every Regiment for every Bn for each of the MEFs (grunt units, wing squadrons, Intel, CEB, EOD, CAGs, etc). It's 24 chapters; 4700 pages; 4600+ photos; it recounts the battles, the holidays, life in the camps, deployments, redeployments, there are two chapters devoted to the Fallen (OIF 2, 3 and 4, and includes Devil Docs who served with you guys; not just names but a full page given to each Fallen, filled with photos and info I found on each one -- very respectfully and tastefully done) to mention a few. I had a website I put up for a year so that any Marine or Devil Doc (or your family and friends, too) could download it. Of course: it was totally free!

If you are interested in getting it or would like for me to email you the Table of Contents so you can see that and see what the full scope of the content is, I will gladly do that.

The book concludes on January 11, 2007 with Cpl. Jason Dunham's posthumously being awarded the Congressionl Medal of Honor. This seemed to be the fitting moment to conclude the project.

This publication was created as a gift to my husband who was over there, too, and so it's a 'private library collection' as I call it. It's not something that we ever intended to publish for profit. We just thought since I compiled a 'book' or collection of these events and memories that you Marines created, you might want a copy of it as well.

It's no small book! All total, it is about 277 megabytes. (I might have to put another website again.)

One of the attached files is the Portal page graphic for the website I spoke about. I have included it so that you can see the graphic of the Marines: this is a real photo of Marines in Iraq in 2004 (of course, I put two of these same photos back to back to create a much longer version of it, but it's Marines during OIF 2 just the same).

The other attachment is a graphic I created which looks like a book -- and it is. It's just a graphic of what the cover of the OIF2 Campaign Book ~A Personal Library Collection~ would look like.

Russ retired as MasterGuns in 2008 after serving over 24 years in the Corps. He was at Headquarters Marine Corps Quantico and now we are in the Lone Star. We miss the active duty life in the Marine Corps very much. Unfortunately, we don't get to keep our youth as long as we'd like and circumstances such as that sometimes require a change in plans. If there was any way we could have been able for him to stay Active Duty for 300 more years, we would have wanted to do that.

Post your thoughts here in this Forum and I will check back in to see what any of you might have to say about 'the possibility' of wanting to get the book. ~ Lawren Whitney ~
    I am very interested; do you have the web site?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by zx6rdr View Post
    I am very interested; do you have the web site?
    No sir; sorry sir, the website was up for over a year but it is no longer. However, if you are interested in exchanging direct contact information (mailing address) via email (so that you don't disclose your email info here but I will provide mine): lawrenwhitney@yahoo.com

As I said in my original post, the entire Campaign Book together is much too large to send via email. However, with the exception of 3 chapters which nearly are 25 megs each, the other chapters are less (no more than 15 megabytes) in size, and all could be sent via email (multiple files, obviously) assuming that your email account does NOT have a maximum capacity storage!

Otherwise, if you desire, I would gladly burn you a disk and mail it to you. And assuming you enjoyed the book and knew of others who, too, would like their own copy, you could burn them a copy or transfer the book to their thumbdrive or whatever.

We have thought about putting up the website again, and we might just do that. I will await receiving an email from you to tell me what you want to do next. Please be careful concerning the correct spelling of my name because my first name is a little bit unusual in that I have a "w" instead of a "u" and a misspell will mean that I will never receive your correspondence.

Semper Fi, sir. Lawren Whitney

Credits
    Savings

Ah, what the heck: Here's a couple of chapters for OIF2 Campaign Book ~

In Good Faith, I am uploading the Table of Contents and the Casualties Directory chapter. These are the two smallest files; the other chapters exceed the Leatherneck Forum file upload capacity. If you are interested in receiving the rest of the book, please refer to the earlier posting wherein I post my email address.

Thanks to all you Marines and Devil Docs. Our universe is a safer and better place because of you. You never forget that -- no matter what the pundits and armchair war-quarterbacks say or think. Their opinions can be heard because you all have fought to insure their voice can be heard -- so let'em talk! That's the sound of Freedom!

Semper Fi. LWhitney

Attached Files Attached Files

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather12404 View Post
    first post here, just wanna say whats up to everyone on here. i was a grunt in 3/1 in nov of 04 during operation phantom fury, its pretty crazy to look back at all we went threw, but there isnt a day that goes by that i dont think of all my close friends i lost in fallujah.
    Devil Dog "Godfather 12404": I read your post at Leatherneck Forum Topic "OIF II and Fallujah fight 1st Mar - RCT 1" and I wanted to invite you to take a look at some relatively new postings (Nos. 21 thru 25) that are there now which speaks to your posting . . . as you did OIF2, and I think you might (I don't know actually know, but I think you might) be interested in taking a look at and even getting a copy of the OIF2 Campaign Book ~A Personal Library Collection~. Actually, there are a couple of chapters for this book that I uploaded and which you can download. They are .pdf files so you will need Acrobat Reader.

I watched the Thundering Third A LOT during OIF2. You guys were busy, busy, busy . . . and you Marines just rock!

Please feel free to pass along the info to any Marines and Devil Docs that you think might be interested and I will gladly get a copy to anyone that wants it.

In any event, thank you very much. I know you did it mostly for your fellow Marines, but I reaped the benefits as well, so thank you.

Let me know if you are interested.

Respectfully and Semper Fidelis,
    Lawren Whitney

They say women nv enter combat then explain how I was side by side with you during cimbat???

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by winterwarrior View Post
    They say women nv enter combat then explain how I was side by side with you during cimbat???
    WinterWarrior: Ma'am, I received an email notification that you had responded to me, so I, thinking that another Marine was writing me for me to send them a CD copy of the OIF2 Campaign Book ~A Personal Library Collection~, I immediately came back to the Leatherneck Forum.

After arriving back at the Forum and seeing your post (which does not contain the original Quote Message to which you are responding), I have only to say this:

I have absolutely no idea the reason you think that I, Lawren Whitney, stated I was in the Marine Corps and served in combat with you. I think you must have inadvertantly wrote to me but you intended your message to be to someone else. To further explain: I am neither now nor have I ever been a Marine. I am married to a Marine (retired), but assuredly, I have never even so much as eluded that I was ever a Marine. (I certainly do not have the fortitude and honor to even cast my shadow near a pair of Yellow Footprints.)

As for your statement that "women do not serve in combat": I personally know female Marines who have served in combat! There is the Cobra Pilot (now retired) Captain Vernice Armour who kicked @ss in The Battle of Najaf (Iraq) in 2004; I have a photo of her launching a hell-fire missile at the bad guys in the cemetary.

But as for the reason I respond here -- even though I am not 'that person' : I just thought you should know that your response was received by someone other than the person you intended -- and in this way, if THAT person does not respond (which why would s/he?), you now know the reason why!

Thank you for your service as I see from your bio that you are/were a Warrant Officer and that you served in both OIF 1 & 2. MGySgt Whitney, my husband, served in OIF2 also, which began in Feb 2004.

Regards, LWhitney

Quote Originally Posted by SGT VAS View Post
    I was there with 3rd LAR Commanche Co. Had a lot of good times with my fellow Marines during that operation. I also loved how CNN let the insurgents know we were coming before hand! Gotta love road blocks when your cruising through town in an LAV!!

thats okay, that bushmaster is pretty good at clearing objects that are in its way

i would also like to say R.I.P Lcpl Reppuhn!

Lance Cpl. Justin D. Reppuhn, 20, of Hemlock, Michigan, died as a result of enemy action in
    Al Anbar Province, Iraq. He was assigned to 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion,
    1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, 29 Palms, California.
    Died on November 11, 2004.

Thread Information