Popular MOSs
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Popular MOSs

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Popular MOSs

Yes, just look at this as a Poll/Survery...

Trying to understand what are the popular MOSs for new recruits..

To my understanding...

It Goes From Infantry to Avionics..

Anyone have anything to add...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xRaVeNx
    Yes, just look at this as a Poll/Survery...

Trying to understand what are the popular MOSs for new recruits..

To my understanding...

It Goes From Infantry to Avionics..

Anyone have anything to add...
    Well, the most popular MOS I've seen from Poolees here is Recon. I could be wrong - doubt it, but I could be.

Credits
    Savings
    I agree with Chris - recon/sniper/seal/jet pilot

Whatever, do not forget 1369!!

I saw a lot of people go as 03XX (infantry). Of course, us ladies can't go into that field, so I saw a lot of the females go into 01XX (admin).

aircrew/ mechanic/ avionics is pretty popular around where I am. I'm doing avionics.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just once I'd like to see a post from a poolee that says hey I aint Rambo but I am real excited to join the Marines so I just went open contract.

You will never see them do that they think they are recon or sniper material and haven't earned the title and they all think they are guaranteed their MOS if it's anything like we went through there will be many sad people, We never did promise anybody a Rose Garden,Semper FI.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Marines. Like the Army, enlisted jobs in the Marine Corps are called "MOS's." The Marines also offer two programs: Guaranteed Job, and general field. Very, very few Marine applicants get a guaranteed job (mostly those with college degrees or high ASVAB scores, applying for certain, designated technical specialties). It's been my experience that a majority of Marines are enlisted in a general field (such as Avionics), and will have their actual job (MOS) designated during basic training. One must remember, in the Marines, one is expected to want to be a MARINE, first & foremost. MOS (job) is a distant second.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker
    Just once I'd like to see a post from a poolee that says hey I aint Rambo but I am real excited to join the Marines so I just went open contract.
    Some people (or maybe just me) tried to get a particular MOS because of the job opportunities it gives you when you get out.

Personally, I really wanted 02xx (Intel). However, that was secondary to me. Like xRaVeNx quoted, I really do just want to be a Marine. I didn't get 02xx on my prelimanary contract, instead I have 04xx (Logistics).

That doesn't really bother me that much anymore, because for the past about 5-6 years, my dream has been to be a Marine. In a week, I go to MCRDPI to see if I can hack it.

EDIT:
    And as far as the popular MOS is concerned, on here I have seen a lot of people with 03xx (Infantry).

Quote Originally Posted by xRaVeNx
    Exactly.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I went in open contract and ended up in Ordnance - WOOHOO! IYAOYAS! Swing with the WIng!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan0217
    Some people (or maybe just me) tried to get a particular MOS because of the job opportunities it gives you when you get out.
    People of your age making statements like that bother me a little bit! If you take the time to select a particular MOS, then why "GET OUT"? After 20 years in the Corps you will be.......what 39 years old? You can use that 20 years experience to nail down a pretty darn good job in the civilian world, plus have a fairly good retirement income on top of whatever job you do get! If money is your driving force then why choose the Corps in the first place? Why not one of the other services that offers those huge enlistment bonuses, after all isn't that part of that money you are looking for? It just doesn't make sense to me that you would enlist in the Corps, knowing that you are getting out after your first enlistment! What if you decide you like the Corps but not your MOS, sure you might be able to change your MOS, but in the meantime, you have thrown away 4 years of your experience that you, think you, want now!

From experience, the ones that do elect to stay in are in the Combat related areas of the Corps! A lot of civilian job markets would rather hire a grunt with his vast experiences, than a person with experience limited to a smaller field! So Grunts (03XX) is the most popular MOS now a days, then maybe the 13XX, 08XX fields, but mostly Combat related!

Now, having said that, the Corps usually places you where you are best suited for the good of the Corps! Contract MOS.......well lets say this.......it's like the "Buddy Enlistment Program", you are Guaranteed to start in the same platoon, but what if one of you gets dropped for some reason? Do you want to get dropped just because your "BUDDY" did? NO! A MOS Contract only guarantees that you will have the opportunity to try for that particular MOS! You either make the cut, in school, or you don't! If you wash out, then the Corps will pick your home for the rest of your enlistment, based on your line scores on your ASVAB, they don't let you out because you failed to pass the course for your "Guaranteed MOS"!

I hope this answers your guestion, I didn't mean to ramble or lecture...just my humble opinion from my own experience.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker

Hi my name is Joe smuckitelly and I am not a rambo but I super duper really want to just be a Marine. I went in open contract just to be put somewhere in the Marines where they see fit.

couldn't resist.

I know what you mean. these kids have know idea what it takes. I remember giving Marines TAD when going on OPS cause we didn't want them with us. They may have been excepted into the MOS(what ever that may be) but it doesn't mean your going anywhere if someone doesn't think your acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by davblay
    People of your age making statements like that bother me a little bit! If you take the time to select a particular MOS, then why "GET OUT"? After 20 years in the Corps you will be.......what 39 years old? You can use that 20 years experience to nail down a pretty darn good job in the civilian world, plus have a fairly good retirement income on top of whatever job you do get! If money is your driving force then why choose the Corps in the first place? Why not one of the other services that offers those huge enlistment bonuses, after all isn't that part of that money you are looking for? It just doesn't make sense to me that you would enlist in the Corps, knowing that you are getting out after your first enlistment! What if you decide you like the Corps but not your MOS, sure you might be able to change your MOS, but in the meantime, you have thrown away 4 years of your experience that you, think you, want now!
    Maybe I should have elaborated, by get out I mean after a lengthy time in the Marines. I don't want to get out right after my first enlistment.

Thread Information