WWII Marine Enlisted Pilot
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WWII Marine Enlisted Pilot

Am looking for any info on Francis Arthur Miller Jr. who was a Marine enlisted pilot. Most likely in VMF 121 or VMF 214, as he said he had flown with Boyington and also Joe Foss during his tour. He was shot down and spent several years in Japanese POW camp.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated. Or any other site I could go to for info ?

H.L. Burns

This is obviously before my time, but this doesn't make any sense to me. I though that being a pilot was for officers only. The father of Marine Corps aviation was a Lt afterall. Anyone have any better insight on this subject?

There were enlisted pilots in the Marine Corps during WWII! I'm not sure when the last enlisted pilot exited the Corps, but when I was in during the late 60's there were still a few around that flew the C-47's and C-117's. I don't know if they were active or reservists during that time, but never the less, they were enlisted.

Thats outstanding. I did not know that, thanks for the info Sgt. Well i officially have nothing to offer information wise. Good Luck & Keep us Posted!

Enlisted pilots were called Naval Aviation Pilots (NAPs). I think the last one retired in 1981. As for Francis A. Miller, I don't see his name on the NAP roster: http://www.bluejacket.com/sea-service_nap_l-n.htm

Are you sure he was a NAP? If so, what is your source.

Francis Miller Jr. is my uncle and as long as I knew him he never talked about his service in the Marine Corp. Although I know he suffered from what was called "Battle Fatigue" in the early 1950's. He passed away on 3/14/08.In speaking with my brother, he tells me that my uncle had spoken of flying F4F Corsairs and being shot down & spending the rest of the war in a Japanese POW camp which was liberated toward the end of the war. The last time I spoke with him, the only thing he related to me was that Joe Foss was a close friend from the war and he had flown with him. I'm not really sure what his rank was, as I never saw any pictures of him in uniform. Just assumed he was enlisted as he hadn't gone to college.

'

'

All of the WW-II Marine pilots I know were officers not NAPs. I'll bet that only 2% of the Marine Corps' pilots were NAPs.

With that said, it was possible to be a Naval Aviator (pilot who is an officer) without a college degree during WW-II. A few of the pilots I know who flew with the Marine Corps became Naval Aviators with as little as one year of college. It was also possible to become a Naval Aviator with no college if you had some civilian background in aviation, such as a private pilot's license. My bet is that your uncle was not a NAP but rather a Naval Avaitor.

Perhaps you should try to obtain his military records. As a family member you may be able to do so at: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/

I hope this helps.

We Had An Enlisted Mstg That Flew A Piper Cub Off The Deck Of The Boxer Lph4 In 1959 Had The Pleasure Of Seeing It Happen On Training We Were Doing. He Flew Observation And Anything They Required Of Him.

I was a aircraft mech./crewchief on C-119's back in the mid 50's at Cherry Pt.and we had a few enlisted pilots..I didn't remember their names so I emailed a buddy that kept his flight papers.Tsgt R .Stefanik and Msgt Nemeth were two he recalled..

Those two Marines were NAPs without a doubt:

STEFANIK R STEPHEN USMC 1947
    NEMETH JOHN J USMC 1943

What I do remember about the enlisted pilots is they were all old guys.At least to us young bucks,18-to 24 year olds..Even the Officer pilots were young 25 to 35.. I know the enlisted plane Commanders all had a chest full of ribbons and medals..

Many of the NAPs received temporary commissions in the latter part of WW-II. Following the war, most were reverted back to their former enlisted ranks.

They called themselves the "Flying Peons". I witnessed the last of the F8U Master Sergeants when he parked his plane at El Toro in Jan. 1960.

Actually, the last 4 were retired on the same day, Jan. 31, 1973. Two at El Toro and two at Cherry Point. They were MGySgt's Joseph A. Conroy and Robert M. Lurie at Cherry Point and Leslie T. Ericson and Patrick J. O'Neill at El Toro. Top O'Neill has the distinction of being the last Marine Naval Aviation Pilot on active duty. The last NAP on active duty was a sailor, Master Chief Air Traffic Controller Robert K. Jones. He retired Jan. 31, 1981.

Gunner James R. Casey, Deputy Executive Director, Marine Corps Aviation Association, is a great source of Marine Aviation History - - he lived it for over 30 years. Try him at www.flymcaa.org.

By the way, just so you know, I got all of the above from Gunner Casey back in Jan. 2004. You just had to know that I didn't have all that "stuff" stored away in my pea brain. ROTFLMFAO

I remember while in Danang Vietnam the squadron next to us which was photo recon the Stars and Stripes had an article about the SgtMaj and the Co. The SgtMaj had been an officer in Korea and had been his Co's commanding officer. I always believed it to be true as it was in the paper.

Thanks for all the info mates, will continue to research and post if I find something !

Thread Information