Workout Regimine for Poolees - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks! I got heart, I'll get 'er.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I included protein intake because it's something looked over by many people who are starting a workout to get into the Marines. I needed the protein because I didn't have the abiltiy to do even one pull up. "Mean and lean" is the way of the Marine, but so is being able to do pull ups.

The best thing a Poolee can do physically is to make sure they can meet and exceed the minimum 3 pull ups, 40 crunches and 3 mile run at 33 minutes (end of boot PFT). Those overweight will find this all gets easier when they lose weight and feed their muscles with protein during these training weeks, and ease off the high protein diet when they become more physically fit and can meet the above numbers. This post had no intention of creating a dependency on protein and building bulk, only to properly feed the muscles during this training before boot. One needs to remember though to make sure they continue to get that protein, be it in chicken or whatever. Some things are listed on my original post. Just remember, this post was made for those beginning a workout regimine. Those with the heart and determination to join the best, but can't achieve the physical requirements yet.

I dont how how familiar any of you are with the armstrong pullup routine, but the beginning phase is outlined in the original post. There are 5 training days. Training day three is my favorite. Doing that has increased my pullups from 8 (palms out) to 25 (palms out).

Training day three was described as training day wednesday in the original post. I understood it a little differently when i saw the paper written by the Marine who came up with it. Armstrong described it as9 training sets resting 60 seconds between each set. The first three sets are to be executed palms out at regular width. The next three sets are to be performed palms in with pinkies touching. The next three are neck ups. That is spreading your arms as WIDE as possible and execute the pullup by tilting the head forward and bringing the neck in contact with the bar. Those nine sets are to be followed by a max effort set.

Doing that routine every day, or ever other day has incresed my pullups MASSIVELY over the last three months.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyborg
    I can't do em it sets of 200! You're in shape Sir. I could probably do 200 in one night, provided I broke them up in sets.

I don't know..

Next time you're in WV we can try!

I'm not worried about me sir! I'm training the way that is good for me sir! I am excited for Boot.

Seyborg
    Seyborg the way it sounds you should be ok I have faith in you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trueblujar
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...50C0A961958260

Seyborg great if it works for you that is all that matters. Good luck & congrats on your choice to want to become one of the worlds finest.
    You would think a person like that could make it, strong body weak mind.

Poolees sometimes you are better off making your own workout regimine because people are different what works for one will not work for another, we all want the same but we will all get different results, but the end result should be the same the title Marine.

Sgt, thank you for your support.

I agree with the Sgt. fellow poolees. In making your own exercise you learn to research and you also learn about the human body. It's important to know your personal body so that you can understand it's limits.

My workout is armstrong, crunch routine, some lifting and running a TON.

Seyborg

Also, now that I can successfully do 12-15 pullups, I'm going to start weight training to add some bulk(and maintenence on my pullups), but remember STRETCH. Long muscle is better for moving and doing the stuff in boot.

Running everyday!

correct me if I'm wrong.

Seyborg you motivate me! If you don't leave the depot as the guide, i will hunt you down and end you! Carry On!

Sir, thank you, Sir! I will do just that, Sir!

Seyborg

Good afternoon,
    I'm Dave and this is my second day on the forum. I'm not actually a Poolee yet, I'm still in the wannabe stage (in the process of getting that changed). I'm a highschool athlete, and am in fairly good shape, but my pull-ups are garbage. I think it must be my technique, the only way I can get a respectable number is by swinging and using my momentum, and I'm pretty sure that's cheating. What do I need to work on to be able to a straight pull-up? Thanks for your help.

Dave

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    During the PFT it is required that you come to a complete dead hang at the end of each rep with no bend in your arm.

The best way to work up your pull-ups is to just do them. If you can focus on stopping that swing, maybe put something in the way of your legs either stationary or a friend's arm works. Push ups are the second best exercise for increasing your pull-ups. Follow the pull-up 5 day regimine at the first post. This is used by a great deal of Marines and is proven to increase your capabilities.

Seyborg, just a word to the wise. I know you probably PT your ass off which is good. You said you wanted to get to the gym and ad mass. Thats great. That was my idea. My best run time was 8:47 for 1 1/2 miles. THen I decided to hit the gym everyday with my fellow poolees. Every day before schol, then three times a week after school. I gained lots of muscle. Pullups shot up to 25 (do the armstrong with waits hanging on your waist) Crunches shot up. But i lost almost a minute on my run. I was weighed down and felt a very noticable difference. I know it sounds obvious, but i didnt think it would affect me as bad as it did. So be more careful than I was and make sure that you run just as much as you lift.

What is your MOS and how do you do your pullups? (palms in or palms out)

Thomas - My MOS as of now is Military Police (hopefully! they need these the most now so I will probably get it) 58xx. I do my pull ups the right way and the hardest way, palms facing foward. I run everyday and I'd rather lose a min on my mile to gain mass lol =) Ya dig?

I dig. haha. However, the way I see it is that there is plenty of time to get big in the fleet. Right now i need to focus on what is going to help me with bootcamp...and to help me get my 300 pft. At this point id rather run long and fast than than be jacked and run slow. Its all about what you want i reckon.

Thread Information