Swim Qual
Create Post

Thread: Swim Qual

Swim Qual

Can anyone enlighten me on the process of swim qual? Can you still qual CWSQ in boot camp? Is it hard to qual CWS-2 and up because they tire you out first? Is it possible for someone to give me the requirements of each swim qual or where to find the info? I appreciate any help you can give.

Hell, I don't think anyone's asked that specific question before! Give us some time. We'll find an answer for ya. I never really thought of that one. let me see...

As for yer gettin' tired question. You won't be any more tired than any other day in training.

There's something under the thread "A Reminder" in Sgt Pap's Place forum. There's a bit on that thread about swim qual.. Hell, there's a lot on that thread that'll do ya good. In the meantime, I'll do a search til one of our resident DI's has time to drop around.

Thanks alot its a great help.

Don't thank me! If I thought the info was already on the site, you'd still be lookin' for it!

YW.

Bones

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Arrow CWST-2

If you have actually taken swim lessons and are comfortable in and around water, you should be OK. You will hae to demonstrate a few different strokes and keep yourself afloat a little while longer. I believe 10 minutes. Plus, you'll have to already pass the basics in order to attempt S-2. If your MOS requires it, you must have the swim qual rating before you arrive at the MOS school.

Registered User Free Member jhb3043's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Sixguns, are you a recruiter right now? or not anymore? i have some questions about the Marine Corps reserve & prior service...

Lakeland, Florida smack inbetween Tampa and Orlando
    Credits
    Savings
    I had my swim qual training about 6 weeks ago (I'm on boot leave at the moment). When I went through, cws 4 was swimming a short distance and then they'd teach you different ways to float by putting air in your blouse ect... cws 3 was just swimming a short distance and jumping off a 10 ft tower and swimming a ways with boots flak jacket ect... cws 2 gets a little more difficult. Once again you have on full gear including your rifle and you must swim what i would call a long distance... (about half the length of the long side of the pool and then the width of the pool without stopping.) You have to use a stroke they teach, like the back stroke or side stroke and your hands cant break the surface of the water. The main thing is keeping your calm and getting in a rythm. Many ppl end up having to stop here. Unless your MOS requires you to have this cert, if you fail, that's it. If you do need to be cws 2 or even 1, the instructors will practice with you and you'll get to try multiple times. CWS 1 envolves being taken to the bottom by an instructor and then swimming back to the surface with him giving you resistance. Only 3 ppl in my platoon had to qualify cws 1 and they had helo crew chief MOS's, that kind of thing.
    That's about all the detail you should need... I didnt have that much goin' in. In short, cws 2 is moderately difficult, many wont make it. CWS 1 is indeed difficult if you cant stay absolutely calm in that kind of situation. Dont worry about being tired out by the last cws or whatever you were talking about. You only do one each day. BUT plz note : YOU WILL BE TIRED EEEEVERY DAY hehehe... good luck! I'm here until the 6th if you have more questions

Silver_XAT,
    How did you like the Marine Corps chow? Otherwise, hope you're enjoying leave and looking forward to the next duty station.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Ahh- Swim Qual. What a boring day for me. I was lucky enough to have been raised in a real sportsman and civic family. Dad taking us out to the lake. Mom dropping us off at the YMCA to get rid of us for an afternoon.

Swim-Qual took me 90 minutes. I spent the rest of the morning and all afternoon on gear watch, roasting in the sun. No, I didn't have an MOS demanding extra swimimming training.

I asked my Apache S.E.A.L. buddy about his diving pin. He said, "I won't drown as fast as you jarheads!" (long story!)

Lakeland, Florida smack inbetween Tampa and Orlando
    Credits
    Savings

mmmmmm... chow...

lurchenstein, I must say Marine Corps chow is freakin' awesome. They especially know how to do it over at 3rd Bn . Let me see, for breakfast i'd have me some Lucky Charms cereal, fruit, bread, eggs, bacon, waffles/pancakes/frenchtoast, hashbrowns/grits/oatmeal, and you cant forget desert ie. pie or cake. How can you beat that?!
    Now in the field's a little different, but i think i like MRE's better than most I bet they used to didnt come with skittles and M&M's like they do now :lick:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    JHB3043,

I am at the Marine Corps Recruiting Command headquarters. I'm not a recruiter or NCOIC anymore, but I am one of the several on staff here. If that's helps you to determine if I can help, I'm not sure.

SF,

Sixguns

The thing to remember about swim qual is that you're not in the water by yourself, so just because you can pull off a given skill in the comfort of your home pool doesn't mean you'll do it in the pool. There will be several others flailing around in there, not all of whom will keep their cool. As soon as one of them decides to use you as a flotation device, the lifeguards will pitch you both a real life preserver, and you might not be able to make your case. If this sounds like personal experience, it is. I had to make a special effort after boot camp to get certified level 2 for the 1371 MOS. Best advice: stay away from other people in the water, particularly those with panic-stricken faces.

Thread Information