VMA-225 "Skyhawks" - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Weidman View Post
    I don't remember any sort of signs/banners when we landed at Chu Lai back in 1965. We came ashore from an LST from Iwakuni, Japan with our packs/M-14s and REAL ammo. Some of you may have come after and got the sign treatment. We were busy building the bomb dump and unloading the AKs in the bay with "peter boats" that brought the ammo to the beach thru the surf. Remember the Sea Bees building the runway and having running gun fights at night with tracers going each/everyway and some even straight up! Supposedly the largest amphibious landing since Inchon, but never have read anything about it. Lived in tents after we got a chance to erect them and ate C-rats. Was 171 lbs when I went in and when I left around October on Emergency Leave, I was a svelte 154. I think WO Brennon (?) the personnel officer of MABS-12 (my unit) sat me down to make me write a letter home as before, just didn't have the time due to work load. We worked until we couldn't do more, slept for a few hours and started all over again. Seems one of my sisters had written the CO about my not writing. I know now that I should have taken more time for others as I only have a younger brother left out of six kids. He was "in country" in either 1963/64 with HMM-164. He was also a Marine and I had him taken out in 1967 as he was married and I wasn't. I also went back again for the third time Dec 1970. Lots of memories. Went all over the world and states with the Corps. Miss the "Old Corps" and had a hard time adjusting to the "new Corps". Started in Dec 1954 and service number was 14xxxxx before the SS #s. I retired in Oct 1976 with 22 years and my younger brother retired three years later with 20. Both of us are Gunnery Sergeants. Semper Fi my Brother Marines

Went into the Corps in 54 and graduated boot camp in 57???

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Dumb finger. Joined the Reserves in Dec 54 and went Regular in 1957. First squadron was at JHax, Fl and VMF-144 with Panthers & Cougar jets. Went active in New Orleans,La. and traveled via train to San Diego,Ca. Thanks for catching my accidental omission. Trigger finger is still faster than my brain housing group it seems.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Bob and Dan,

I am Lieutenant Colonel Robert W. Baker's grandson and I am looking for more information about his time in the service. I have some, but would like to know more. Do you know where I can find information, pictures, etc.? He's passed away.

Thread Information