Thoughts of Recruit Training
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Thoughts of Recruit Training

This is for all you pool-terds like me. What do you guys think about recruit training. What are all of your thoughts and expectations?
    Ready.
    Set.
    POST!!!

Personally, I don't think it'll be extremely hard (I know the Marines are going to jump all over me for this, but hear me out). I'm smart, I'm in pretty good shape and have been working out since depping in, I can swim (albeit I've never tried it with a bunch of gear, but we'll see) and I was brought up to be respectful and to do what people tell me to.

Do I think it'll be hard? Yes, of course. It wouldn't be MARINE boot camp without difficulty. But will I have the really hard time like I hear some Marines have? Probably not.

And who knows, I just might fulfill my goal of graduating LCpl.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Good luck on graduating LCpl!
    I think I'll throw in my $.20, I expect it to be a royal pain in the butt until I can start understanding what my Drill Instructor is saying. Then after that, I'll end up getting broken down because that's their job, and I'm gonna want to fight back, and that's gonna make it even worse. But, oh well, I get what's coming to me, I can either put it to good use, or be a terd and be terdful.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebec
    This is for all you pool-terds like me. What do you guys think about recruit training. What are all of your thoughts and expectations?
    Ready.
    Set.
    POST!!!
    Well Andrew, I am glad to see yet another Tennessean enlisted in my beloved Corps! Cleveland is not all that far from me, I trained to be a store manager of a Dollar General Store there, in the shopping center next to Big Lots, then!

If this old salt can give you guys some information about boot camp, I would say that you need to know that it is 90% Mental and 10% Physical! You can train and PT all you want and that will help you when you get there, But unfortunately, there is no way to prepare for the mental part! That is dictated by the Drill Instructors, and they are not on a schedule on how to do that! Every DI is different and has his own way of getting his point across, you will find that statement is true soon enough.

Remember that the DIs don't wake up in the morning and say "Well now, who am I gonna F*ck with this morning", they get out of the rack, get dressed and walk into the squad bay and, trust me, some recruit will start his day! It could be you, and most likely will be at some point in time while you are there. They are not friendly guys, they are hard of hearing, for the most part, but they can hear a gnat fart from 100 yards if you speak in formation! They like to hear you yell as loud as your lungs will allow, they love to see you move as fast as you can, they love it when you pay attention in class.

To give you guys something to think about, score good on your PFT, Score high with your Rifle, learn the recruit knowledge, score high in your swimming, never drop out of a run, keep your gear squared away, and last, but not least, never question an order from your DI....NEVER! Remember this advice and you should be ok! It's only 13 weeks...right? But it is the longest, and the shortest, 13 weeks of your life!

Good luck to any, and all, poolees that read this!

Dave

Is it naive for a potential recruit such as myself to say that they are looking fowrward to the basassery of boot? As in, there's an aspect of me that anticipates the grueling hell and getting yelled at...and kind of likes the idea of it.

Is that nuts?
    J

Excuse me: "Badassery".

It's normal, I loved every minute of it. It was fun getting messed with and most of the stuff I heard or saw DI's say make me smile(inside of course!). Don't smile btw...

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Xebec
    I think I'll throw in my $.20,
    Not to nitpick, but I think you mean $.02

Good to hear it's normal. I sometimes worry myself.

$.20 sounds like a decent upgrade, what with inflation/recession and all.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Im a little worried about boot camp and thats only for one reason its to be picked up by my parents, friends, girlfriend etc. in the same clothes that I departed to Paris Island in. That would be just the ultimate humiliation for me. As far as the physical part im a little worried about im in decent running shape and crunches and all that nonsense its the pullups that are killing me. I know that its what I want is to be a Marine and I will strive in every aspect of it to succeed. Im deffinately nervous but extremely excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Goss

$.20 sounds like a decent upgrade, what with inflation/recession and all.
    Sadly, a good point.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Drock54
    Im a little worried about boot camp and thats only for one reason its to be picked up by my parents, friends, girlfriend etc. in the same clothes that I departed to Paris Island in. That would be just the ultimate humiliation for me. As far as the physical part im a little worried about im in decent running shape and crunches and all that nonsense its the pullups that are killing me. I know that its what I want is to be a Marine and I will strive in every aspect of it to succeed. Im deffinately nervous but extremely excited.
    You don't sound like you want it bad enough!!!!! Cowboy Up!!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Recruit Training will be extremely tough. Hands down, there is no question about it.
    I am moving to Wyoming MI from Northern Canada to even have the opportunity to go to MCRD San Diego. Failure is not an option. The only way I think about failure, is how I can avoid it.
    Everytime I get off the phone with my recruiters (I have only met them once) they say "Stay Motivated". Those words have kept me going, even when all else hasn't.
    ...Just thought I would through my $.02 in.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I have quite a long way to go until I should even start thinking about recruit training, but quite frankly, I just can't get it out of my mind. Well, I suppose that's mainly being a Marine in general, but either way i'm still excited. Is it natural to be excited for Recruit Training? I dont know, but I think that's about where i'm at right now. Unfortunately, I haven't arrived at the 'Nervous' stage yet, which is most likely because I have more than a year left until I ship out to the Recruit Depot.

As I mentioned before since I haven't spent a lot of continuous time away from home, and consider myself someone who likes my home, I think that will be the hardest part for me. However, I usually find myself able to reason through bad feelings. For example, if boot completely sucks I could tell myself "well OK, there is no way I could EVER live down dropping out, and even if I did, there is a good chance I would be stuck here on a work party until my platoon graduated anyway. On top of that, it could be worse, I could be in prison, going through worse crap for no reason at all with no end in sight..."

Logic over emotion equals a win.

I have a question about the yelling. I hear you are supposed to yell as loud as possible. I suppose I will find this out when I get there, but does this literally mean as loud as you possibly can, so you are spraying spit into the DIs face? I mean, I assume it does since all the Marines who come back sound like they've been kicked in the throat even after they have been back over a week.

Mike

Thread Information