Why I joined the Corps - Page 7
Create Post
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    I was young and stupid. I thought the pretty blue uniform with a sword would get me lots of great sex with beautiful women. I didn't get the pretty blue uniform. I got green jungles with a filthy flack jacket instad of the blues and a 28 pound radio with a whip antenna instead of the sword and I didn't get a lot of great sex with beautiful women, I did get F*cked a lot though.

Now I'm old and stupid but I'm still a United States Marine and proud of it!

Like many of my generation I saw flashing videos of men fighting lava monsters and scaling mountain faces. Though I don’t think these are the reasons I joined the Marine Corps you can’t help but draw a little pride out of the fact that many do see these metaphors as literal dealings.

I joined the Corps from a family that had little military tradition. I was aware of one of my Grandfathers serving in the Army but nothing beyond that. No war torn hero to pass on his legacy to me or plant the seed of service excitement. I did however have one thing going for me in the way of motivation. Everyone in my hometown said I couldn’t make it as a Marine, let alone a specialized MOS like Reconnaissance. Living in rural Indiana allowed me the opportunity to face many challenges as a Hispanic child growing up.

I was on the swim team which was already a shocker to most of the individuals that thought I was “colored” (a term I heard uttered often). Though I never make Michael Phelleps medal run at the Olympics, I did however have a good time. By my junior year of high school, I had participated in enough things to really confuse myself as far as future plans went. I then saw one of the commercials I wrote of earlier. Everything became crystal clear, I’d be a Marine!

Well I went to school the next day shopping the idea of being a Marine to my friends. It was met with lets call it a some resistance. No one really saw me as the Marine type, though none could really define what type they were talking about when they stated this. My girlfriend at the time was all about me going, NOT. She was full of tears when I told her that I was going to go.

So I’ll try to make a long story short by saying that I joined the Marine Corps because of racial bigotry and to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was one of the “baddest mofos” my hometown had ever seen. I’d have to say with just a wee bit of guilty pleasure that is now how I’m viewed when I visit home fon leave. At least to those that have an inkling of understanding of what my MOS entails.

My dad is a Korean War Doc and retired Navy Officer. I was around the military a lot, as my uncles all served and most retired from Army/Air Force, so it wasn't a difficult decision for me. So when I was a bored 19 year old, not liking college, I enlisted. Great experiences and great comraderie. I shudder to think what would have happened to my undisciplined, defiant and cocky-headed for trouble self if I had not joined. I finished college after I got out and went ahead and got 2 graduate degrees, this would not have been possible without the discipline the Corps instilled into my formerly defiant and non conformist persona. To this day, my greatest feeling of accomplishment and self-awareness was the day I graduated Marine Recruit Training!

Ooh-rah!

I was in my second year of college at 18. College was great, grades were great, the girls were great...But I felt life wasn't moving fast enough. I wasn't getting big enough "high" on life. Let me tell you my time in the marines was the best "crack" i've had from 2000 - 2005 because life went into overdrive! Now i challenge myself everyday to be great.

Sempfer Fi. MALS -31 Avionics

Hope everything is good with all you Marines and you all are succeeding in life!

Semper Fi. RIP to my fallen brothers.

Last edited by thedrifter; 09-30-09 at 11:51 AM.

Why I Joined.

I came from a very small town in California called Hanford and it wasnt until my senior year in highschool that the Marine Corps interested me. I played football with my men, cruised around town looking for women every friday night, sat around bonfires and lived it up to the fullest and it got me thinking around the end of my senior year one night that i wanted to be someone who protects this. Not only did i want to defend my small town and all the fun i had in it, i wanted to be someone who protected this country and everything in it for im thankful for all its given me. I never wanted my small town to change, i wanted it to stay the way it is and I wanted to be the big bad sherriff that kept it in shape but instead i found myself thinking, hanfords not the only little small town around and theres probly kids like me who love there freedom and would die for those at home so I decided I wanted to protect everyone and give back to my country. I have a beautiful family, freinds, and Country and theres no greater feeling being a United States Marine defending all I have and all this country has. Semper Fi.

Joining the brotherhood

I grew up in a small farming community in Illinois. My upbringing helped pave the way for the Marine Corps. I joined because of my church pastor. He was a Marine in Vietnam and he seemed like a stand up guy. The other reason was become a part of the best fighting force in the world. I was in from 87-91 and the United States Marine Corps was a definite highlight in my life thus far. I am proud to be one of the few and always will be. I also got my wish granted back in 91 during Desert Storm. As the saying goes, war is hell but combat is a m********cker. I attribute 3 reasons why I made it thru our 4 days of combat. The first is God, secondly the Corps, and my family. Marines never retreat we just fight from another direction.

Lets See

Well I joined the Corps, because I always admired my Dad and Uncle who are Marines. My Dad served 8 years in the Communications Electronics Field, and my Uncle was an 03 who served in Vietnam. I remember sitting around the table late at night with my Dad, and Uncle while they swapped Sea Stories. Even then when I was a young kid, sitting at the table. I always told myself that one day I would be a Marine. Well sure as hell, when I turned 18, on my 18 b-day at that I was at MEPS signing on the dotted line. I would never trade any of it. I am proud to be a Marine today, as I was the day I graduated Boot Camp. Plus now I can sit down at the table with my Dad, and Uncle, and swap some of my own Sea Stories. Semper Fi

I joined the Marines because I felt that it was the only one out there. Both of my granddads & both uncles & my dad was A Marine. That is my mons brother & my dads brother. So when I truned 18 I went to join the Marines I forgot that they close on fed. holidays. So I went back home and went back 2 years later joined and spent 7 great years in the Crops, I should have never got out. Semper Fidelis SSGT. Francisco

I joined the Army right out of high school and hated all 3 years of it. Right after Army boot camp, I was sent to Somolia during Operation Restore Hope. While I was there I ended up spending most of my free time with the Marines (who stayed in the tent next to ours), playing spades. One night I had to open fire on a skinny while on guard duty. As soon as the first shot rang out, those Marines were there, backing me up (which is more than anyone else in my platoon did). Long story short, some a-hole in my chain of command started a CID investigation into me possibly breaking rules of engagement. No one in my chain of command had my back, and I felt like I was thrown to the wolves. Luckily for me, those Marines came to get my back. Even the Gunnery Sgt of the platton came to speak on my behalf (which was more than anyone in my chain of command did). I came out of that situation cleared of everything.....mainly because of the Marines who had my back. After I got out of the Army, I played civilian for a few years, but always had a yearning to become a Marine. In 1997 I finally took the plunge and stepped on the yellow footprints. It was the best discision I ever made. I planned on doing 20+, but I f-ed my right shoulder real bad at a CAX, and was medically discharged in 2003. I miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by firedog974 View Post
    I joined the Army right out of high school and hated all 3 years of it. Right after Army boot camp, I was sent to Somolia during Operation Restore Hope. While I was there I ended up spending most of my free time with the Marines (who stayed in the tent next to ours), playing spades. One night I had to open fire on a skinny while on guard duty. As soon as the first shot rang out, those Marines were there, backing me up (which is more than anyone else in my platoon did). Long story short, some a-hole in my chain of command started a CID investigation into me possibly breaking rules of engagement. No one in my chain of command had my back, and I felt like I was thrown to the wolves. Luckily for me, those Marines came to get my back. Even the Gunnery Sgt of the platton came to speak on my behalf (which was more than anyone in my chain of command did). I came out of that situation cleared of everything.....mainly because of the Marines who had my back. After I got out of the Army, I played civilian for a few years, but always had a yearning to become a Marine. In 1997 I finally took the plunge and stepped on the yellow footprints. It was the best discision I ever made. I planned on doing 20+, but I f-ed my right shoulder real bad at a CAX, and was medically discharged in 2003. I miss it.
    Simply put Marines Do It Best, Semper FI.

Ooh-Rah SGT7477,

I've heard several accounts of prior service members who re-enlisted in the Marines with similar experiences. Outstanding! We are all glad those Marines backed you up as all Marines will do. Had a recruit who was prior navy, he was Platoon and Series Honorman during my boot camp. Outstanding recruit, he helped me a lot-- thanks L/Cpl Benentende.
    And Thanks for telling us your story Sergeant, glad you took the plunge and became a Marine!

Ooh-rah and Semper Fi!

Why i joined? I didn't join per se. I proved my worthiness. After H.S. there wasn't enough money for me to go to college. My Parents had car loans, a BIG home loan and 2 other kids in college so as my Dad explained.... It would be at least 3 years before we could afford college, plain and simple.

I worked pumping gas for about 6 months and started talking to recruiters, remember the Hostage situation was going on (Iranian)

I went to all the recruiters but the marine one and they ALL told me what i could get, ( Mos's etc.)

Finally I walked into a Marine recruiter's office and sat down (1st mistake) in front of a GySgt that looked as if he'd been in the Corps for a hundred years, no lie his face LOOKED like it was Leather! He said and I quote.... "GET THE HE** OUT OF MY CHAIR DIRTBAG! DID I TELL YOU THAT YOU COULD SIT DOWN? NOW ASK! ( I asked ) Then I asked him what the Marines could do for me (2nd mistake)

He THUNDERED... and again I quote..... "NOT A FREAKING THING WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR THE CORPS?"

I said to him ( after thinking about it for a good minute which SEEMED much longer with his laser eyes boring a hole in my head ) I had no Idea but I wanted to find out.

His eyes softened a bit and he said sit down dirtbag, and we'll see... we'll see.

He said 1st I have to show up every saturday morning at 0600 for a month and run PT with him, ( I had No idea at the time what he was talking about ) before he MIGHT repeat MIGHT let me join his Beloved Corps.

My Parents who had NO IDEA what was going on, were very surprised to say the least ( My dad was in the Navy in Korea as a AMM(AC) - Aviation Machinist's Mate Combat Aircrewmen assigned to the USS Midway) When I came home 1 saturday Morning with a Gunny in Dress Blues with ribbons and Badges (Alphas) to sign the paperwork. ( I really was the typical middle child of 6. My Dad afterword told me ALL the crazy things he'd seen Marines do!)

My only regret is that I was RIF'd in '89, Our group General fought and fought with HQUSMC for 2 years to get a waiver for me. But thats another story.....

A BIG Semper FI to Gunnery Sergeant Thompson for taking this dirtbag and screwing his head on straight!

Circa 1961: I met a man when I was 4 years old. My Mom was divorced and she was dating him. Nice guy, took my sister and I to the movies with them. My Mom married him. He became my "Dad". He was a hard worker and had served in the Marines. He had a picture of himself and his friends in uniform that was displayed proudly. A picture of 3 buddies and him. Everyone in the picture had been killed except for him. He served in Korea. He taught me of the pride and honor of the Marines. He raised my sister and I as his own children. When I graduated high school and was thinking about what I could do with my life I needed to look no further than my "Dad" SSGT Daniel H. Parrow. I knew I wanted to be just like "Dad". We (I speak of myself, my "Dad", and my brothers and sisters of Our Corps) have Honor, Disipline, and Integrity. "Dad" passed away in 1985 but his belief in our Corps and Country live in me. My "Dad" became more than my Dad, he became my Father, my Idol, and my Brother Marine. God Bless you Dad, Semper Fi Brother.

You want to know why I join the
    Marine Corps
    I joined to fight the Cong in Nam!!!!! My cousin was shot down in Nam and I wanted revenged from them azzholes.. so if you think thats wrong frack off!!! I wanted an Eye for an Eye you know what I mean!!! I loved my FAMILY AND STILL DO!! SO ALL YOU AZZHOLES WHO SAY WE ARE CRAZY FOR THAT..., BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER FRACK OFF!!!! family comes first. Semper Fi.

Thread Information