Why I joined the Corps - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I just graduated high school. didn't know what to do. couldn't really afford college. a buddy of mine suggested that we join the Marine Corps. so off we went to the recruiter. Turns out he couldn't pass the asvab and eventually lost interest despite my efforts to help him out. I got in. earned the EGA, Did my service honorably, got out. I got money to pay for college, now. Just glad to know that I could've been working at 10 bucks an hour somewhere had I not joined. Oh and about that buddy of mine who suggested that we join the Corps? He pretty much still has the same ****ty job to this day.

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    i remember i was in the 8th grade and i was doing a school report on the different branches of the military, i had always wanted to be a pilot like tom cruise on top gun, but i was going into the recruiting offices and trying to find information of the different branches of the military, all of the recruiters from the army, navy, and airforce all laughed at me and told me to get the **** out of their offices, so i decided i might as well try the marines, so i went into the marine corps office and they accepted me as an equal right away, told me a 6th grader that i should come to some of the dep functions and work out with the other poolee's so from that day on i knew i was going to join the marines. and to this day i still thank those 4 marine recruiters for giving a little kid a chance. semper fidelis to all of the marine recruiters i know. " ssgt gonzalez, sgt james, sgt dittillo, sgt howle, cpl luzaider, ssgt madson, ssgt ludlow, sgt darby, ssgt hamblin, semper fidelis guys and hopefully we will meet up again someday.

My experience began in 1990 when I was 3 years out of high school, thought I knew it all, etc.... I had been working in a machine shop and making some real money for a change after high school, (7.50 an hour+ overtime), when I was laid off along with 33% of the work force within the company. After about 3 days of looking for a job and finding none, I did what my dad had been instructing me to do for years. I went looking at the military. I went down to the recruiter's office, promptly walked into the Army recruit station and there sat this little, fat, unsat., balding, army recruiter with a totally f***ed up uniform on and a mouth full of tobacco that was falling out of his mouth. He looked up from his desk and asked, " Can I help you?" It took me all of about 3 seconds to say no and did an about face. I went to the Marine recruiter's office next door and as soon as my foot crossed the plane of that hatch, a 6'4" Marine in dress blue Deltas jumped up and greeted me at the door with his hand outstretched. He introduced himself and asked if he could help me and I told him to sign me up right then. As they say, the rest is history, and if I would have been smart, I would have done this at 18 instead of 22 and would still be in the Corps upholding the traditions.

To be a United States Marine is more than any typical United States citizen could ever accomplish therefore it is an organization of the few and the proud. “Once a Marine, Always a Marine” holds no gender boundaries. Women have become a big part of the history of the Corps as well. I wanted to be a part of that history and I decided to sacrifice all personal opinions, comforts and life to take on the status of a United States Marine. My family was proud as most are. My father was especially proud because he served two years in the Marine Corps. I think joining made our relationship better as we didn’t have much of one before. Friends were proud of me too but would never understand the changes I made. I came along way from growing up in a childhood of not having much money for anything and where my parents put me second. I proved anyone can overcome anything and do great things in life no matter how they’re brought up. I was ecstatic with my new journey in life as a United States Marine.

Being a Marine means being part of one of the greatest military organizations in history. In my time as a Marine I’ve learned many things. I became part of a team and worked together to get the job done. I also acquired skills to problem solve and apply logistics to situations to get the job done. I learned to be independent and responsible. I gained self-confidence and the courage to do things I had never done before. I am honest, dependable and organized and was able to show my qualities when performing my duties. I have found that I am able to overcome obstacles and achieve anything I set my mind to do so. I came to understand that always striving to better myself and education is really important. I attended college for the first time in my life after a Marine I worked with motivated me in that direction. I started believing in myself and realized I have accomplished so much. I have lived by standards that others will seek to emulate. Not anywhere else would you find someplace to work where someone would do anything to help a fellow Marine in a time of need and have your back at any moment.

As Marines we stick out because of our professionalism, manner, and the way we handle the job. Being a Marine means doing whatever it takes to protect themselves, their fellow comrades, their family, and their nation. The most important thing that I will ever take from the Marine Corps is the sense of family and camaraderie.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Cause I was looking for a few good men my damn self! (GAH! I LOVE IT WHEN I GET TO USE THAT!)

Seriously................cause that was the quickest way for me to get out of Union SC without having to save up money first. Chose the Corps because I knew it was the toughest one to get through and I wanted to see if I could do it. The selling point for me was when I learned if I went through Marine Corps boot camp and later decided to go into another branch, I wouldn't have to go through their boot camp. If I chose any of the other branches first and later decided to go in the Corps, I would have to go through boot camp AGAIN. I figured I would do it right the first time.

Besides, our Blues ARE the finest looking uniforms of ALL branches! You could put the ugliest creature God ever put breath into in a set of Blues and make him/her look good.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post
    Cause I was looking for a few good men my damn self! (GAH! I LOVE IT WHEN I GET TO USE THAT!)

Seriously................cause that was the quickest way for me to get out of Union SC without having to save up money first. Chose the Corps because I knew it was the toughest one to get through and I wanted to see if I could do it. The selling point for me was when I learned if I went through Marine Corps boot camp and later decided to go into another branch, I wouldn't have to go through their boot camp. If I chose any of the other branches first and later decided to go in the Corps, I would have to go through boot camp AGAIN. I figured I would do it right the first time.

Besides, our Blues ARE the finest looking uniforms of ALL branches! You could put the ugliest creature God ever put breath into in a set of Blues and make him/her look good.

Don't know you well enough Marine84 to know whether or not you found "a few good men", but I'm willing to bet you found yourself and haven't looked back since....SEMPER FI SISTER !!

Quote Originally Posted by tripledog View Post
    I was brought up in front of the judge, unfornuately the same one I had seen on numberous occastions, and the said "this time you ******* fool, you really did it. I am going to give you hard time". He then offered me a deal, join the service, get the hell out of town, or go down the river. Right then and there I just knew I was born to be a military man.
    I tried to find the easiest service, I was told to NEVER , NEVER join the corps, or I would go to Leavenworth within 3 days.
    49 years later if that stupid ass judge was still alive, I would go kiss his ass.
    TD sir; my story is about the same , I was standing before the judge at 17 with a juvie officer standing on one side and a Marine Recruiter standing on the other side and the judge said " son I'm going to give you a choice , ether you go with the Marine or you go with the officer for for 4 years" , and I looked at that recruiter in his "Dress Blues" and said thats for me , and they sent my juvie records ahead of me to MCRD-PI and when I got off the bus ,I got an attitude adjustment before falling in , made E-2 out of boot and never once to this day regretted my choice , this was in 1960

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post

Seriously................cause that was the quickest way for me to get out of Union SC without having to save up money first.
    Hey Kim,Union misses darlin......

I joined The Corps to stay out of trouble.
    I was hangin with the wrong crowd,they laughed and said I'd never make it through boot camp.
    After getting thumped a few times by the SDI,I decided I was going to be a Marine and make those guys eat their words plus more..

I can remember when I was about 8 or 9 years old in 29 Palms watch the Drum and Bugle Corps one Veterans day ceremony . I knew then, I wanted to be one of them. They were so impressive and every got quiet when they marched by.

Well I just enlisted. I have wanted to be a Marine since I was five. I was in the mall and got lost and my mom always told me to find somebody in uniform so I fiund a guy in blue pants( a marine recruiter) he took me to the recruiting office and calle mall security. He was doing paperwork and put on this video of Marine Interviews. I saw this baldheaded guy show up on the screen with these gold wings and this scuba mask and i noticed this uniform guy at the desk had the exact same badges. I was a little kid so I asked him waht they where. He took off his Jump wings,EGA, and scuba badge and handed them to me, he told me something I'll never forget"Sacrifice everything for nothing, give your life for people who don't give a ****, get yelled at, and you know what love every minute of it. Marines have a fire nobody else has, they want to die for there country they fight so you can sit here and ask me questions, do you know you have waht it takes, also the Marines jsut look good" I said yes and my mom came and the recruiter came and shook my hand and gave me a Marine T-shirt, I still have it and still wear it.

Don't forget to wear the t-shirt to boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Don't forget to wear the t-shirt to boot camp.

lol...I actually laughed out loud when I read that. Marines are Marines and will never stop being Marines. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw3179 View Post
    lol...I actually laughed out loud when I read that. Marines are Marines and will never stop being Marines. Semper Fi.
    You got that right brother,lmfao.

There were a lot of reasons why I joined the corps. I had a few friends who signed up and I decided to do the same. I graduated high school this past June and went to MCRD a month later for boot camp. The main reason was to become apart of the most elite fighting force in the world and become a part of the tight family. Signing that piece of paper at MEPS was the best decision of my life and I think every 18 year old kid should go through it. Semper Fi.

Thread Information