Dads Records WW II
Create Post

Dads Records WW II

I receive his records today from the NPRC. I find that he was with the 9th Defense Bn. Would any one know what Division that would have been with.

I don't think the Defense Battalions were part of any particular division or wing, rather they were independently assigned to a base or island. Here is some info on the 9th Defense Battalion:

9th Defense Battalion - Formed February 1942 at Parris Island, South Carolina

Nicknamed the "Fighting Ninth". After moving to Guadalcanal this battalion reorganized to emphasize mobility and artillery at the expense of the coastal defense mission usually expected of defense battalions. This included a battalion light tank unit.

Commanders
    * Feb 42 - Maj Wallace O. THOMPSON
    * unkwn 42 - Lt Col Bernard DUBEL
    * unkwn 42 - Col David R. NIMMER
    * 1943 - Lt Col William SCHEYER
    * pre Jul 44 - Lt Col Archie E. O'NEIL

Movements
    * Feb 42 - Formed at Parris Island, South Carolina
    * 1942 - Moved to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
    * Nov 42 - Deployed to Guadalcanal
    * 1943 - Fought in central Solomons first at Rendova, then New Georgia, then Arundel Island
    * 21 Jul 44 - Invasion of Guam, landed on D-Day
    * Sep 44 - Redesignated 9th Anti-aircraft Artillery Battalion
    * EOW - Apparently remained on Guam unti end of war
    * 1946 - Returned to United States

Unit Citations
    This unit was awarded the Navy Unit Citation for its actions on Guadalcanal, Rendova, New Georgia and Guam.

So these Battalions were deployed where ever they were needed and not attched to any one division. They could be with anyone who needed them. I quess that is why my Dads records has him moving around alot.

Thread Information