Sea Duty
Create Post

Thread: Sea Duty

Sea Duty

I want to be a sea-going Marine, but am unsure exactly what sea-duty consist of, and what MOS will most likley put me on a ship. Please help.

Credits
    Savings
    I gotta get off of here.

Methinks I'm gonna cry!

Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Join the Navy! No just kidding. Look up Marine Security Forces. http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...smc/mcsfbn.htm

I dont think the Marines have sea duty anymore. I may be mistaken though. Join the infantry, youll be in a rifle platoon and maybe youll end up stuck on a boat for 6 months. Trust me its not that cool.

The first job of the Marine Corps. A Marine, trained at Sea School and assigned to the Marine Detachment on board ship. While most Marines at some time in their career will spend time on ship, only those Marines assigned as members of the ship's company earn this title. The insignia of a seagoing Marine is a gold seahorse superimposed on a gold anchor within a crimson lozenge. In 1987 Sea School was closed, 1998 all Marine Detachments on board ships were disbanded, thus ending a tradition that dated to 1775 and the first duty of the Marine Corps.

There are no Marines assigned to Marine Security Forces stationed aboard ship anymore. The Navy has basically taken that job, it was really only a dog and pony show any way. No offense to anyone, we do have traditions aboard ship but for the most part those days are over.

If you want some ship time join the infantry or Go Navy. I spent 11 days on ship from the Philippines to Hong Kong and then back to Oki on the USS DePuke (DeBuke) and it was by far, the worst 11 days of my time in the Corps.

Some units still do Med cruises and other Marines travel aboard ship travelling from place to place but as far as I know, we do not get actually stationed on them anymore.

As I remember when the Navy pulled the the Nukes off the ships the Marines also went off the ships.

Exactly, the nukes were the vein of our existence. I wasn't cleared to exact numbers but ordnance lockers were stuffed with world shakers on Navy vessels in the 70's and 80's, with a full crew of 5k and plenty of sketchy characters laced throughout the crowded decks. The ongoing nuclear weapons training and security drills and scenarios became redundant once the doomsday darts were offloaded. Marine Airwing is still needed but not a full time Mar-Det.

The difference between a unit in transit 'on float' and a sea goer was that we had a 24 hour job on that bucket. Trained to approach it with much concern and grave circumstances. All the unsuspecting innocent had to do was drift across the nuclear buffer zone to see how serious things could get.

--->Dave

When I was at 29 Palms and with 5th 8in. we (the ones with 0812 MOS) would go to the NOP Compound to train on the 8 in. NQ's (that's all you need to know) as we came up to the gate you could see 2 Marines running up the hill, then if you looked close they were behind a M-14 and a M-60 locked and loaded and you were in there sights. What a good feeling that was.

I went to Sea School...MCRD SD in April 1962. Stationed on the USS Princeton LPH5 after completion of school...I did see the world (West Pac) through a porthole.. If you have questions, email me...HHada@verizon.net

This thread is 10 years old. Im not a doctor or anything but im pretty sure this individual doesn't come here anymore if any of them come here.

I started posting here around then... Just saying. but yea, this dude probably framed his DD214 6 years ago.

Mike

Thread Information