Transfer from Army to Corp - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    oh I got the loss of rank part. I assumed that was pretty standard. I meant it must have taken a good recruiter to finagle a promise of an NCO rank to someone that didn't have prior service as a Marine.

I mean, does the promise just ignore cutting scores or does it take his score out of the list entirely, does it just give him a meritorious...I dunno. It's interesting.

my buddy the chief would have been livid if he knew this was possible

It all depends, as I said, on the time period and what the Corps is 'offering' at the time for Prior Service folks. Sometimes they get lucky, other times, not so much.

The contract negates any cutting score, and the only TIG requirement is the six months, (or whatever). It's NOT a 'meritorous' promotion and it isn't considered one.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    At one time there were quite a few contract Cpls. The way it worked is you signed a 6X2 contract and if you had been a good boy and were recommended throughout for promotion you were guaranteed Cpl after 18 months of service. That was then and this is now.

Rapid assension through the ranks guantees are being offset/replaced by large enlistment bonuses. You may not be a corporal after 18 months of service but you are driving a brand new mustang.

You really don't want to hit the fleet with more weight on your collar than you can handle. Your first day in the fleet goes something like this .... ok Lcpl you are in charge of these three guys as your new fireteam. Don't screw it up! Let me introduce them to you ... this is private smuck he has been in Corps for 3 years and just got out of the brig. This is PFC smoe he is just short of his EAS and has two tours in Iraq. This is private jones he just graduated SOI yesterday. Good luck!

Back in 1979, my dad was offered Cpl as a re-enlistment bonus. He decided to get out instead...lol.

Just goes to show that the Marine Corps is always changing!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    At one time there were quite a few contract Cpls. The way it worked is you signed a 6X2 contract and if you had been a good boy and were recommended throughout for promotion you were guaranteed Cpl after 18 months of service. That was then and this is now.

Rapid assension through the ranks guantees are being offset/replaced by large enlistment bonuses. You may not be a corporal after 18 months of service but you are driving a brand new mustang.

You really don't want to hit the fleet with more weight on your collar than you can handle. Your first day in the fleet goes something like this .... ok Lcpl you are in charge of these three guys as your new fireteam. Don't screw it up! Let me introduce them to you ... this is private smuck he has been in Corps for 3 years and just got out of the brig. This is PFC smoe he is just short of his EAS and has two tours in Iraq. This is private jones he just graduated SOI yesterday. Good luck!
    HAHAHA! One's just out of the brig, one's a terminal PFC and the other a boot. That would be one hell of a fire team

Quote Originally Posted by FattyTheFerret View Post
    What kind of contract guaranteed you E3 upon graduation? I went to boot camp with a guy that left 9 years in the Navy as a Chief-select. Graduated MCRD with 12 ribbons on his chest and two service stripes. Under no circumstances would they guarantee him LCpl upon graduation. It only goes to the company honorman and that's if he's already a PFC. Our company honorman was a private so we had no LCpls.

And I really don't see how any contract could promise Cpl after any period of time. The promotion regs are pretty specific about it, including meritorious promotions.

Well man I'm not going to print out a copy of my contract and post it here for you so if you don't believe me then I there's probably nothing I could tell you to change your mind. Everyone who comes in prior service has to get a waiver package worked and not everyone gets the same deal. The majority of the guys in my BRC class got a 20,000 dollar bonus on graduation and I got nothing.

I'm not asking you to do all that. I'll take your word for it, I was just very surprised.

Bulk, that is dead on for the contract Cpl program in the 80's!

Thread Information