Transfer from Army to Corp
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Transfer from Army to Corp

I am currently serving my second deployment in Iraq with the Army. I am wanting to transfer to the Marine Corp when I get back. I've been told different things. I know I will have to go through recruit training again. I am currentky an E-4. I've been told I can come in no higher than E-2, but I've talk to prior Marines that have said they had E4's in their recruit training but the recruit had to give up their first duty station. So, I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any insight on this.

Dont know an answer to your question but thats awesome that your planning on becoming a Marine. Stay safe man.

Hopefully they'll teach you how to spell Marine Corps while you're a poolee. You're the second person in about 4 days to spell "Corps" wrong TWICE in one post on this forum.

I don't know if it's attention to detail you two are lacking, or common knowledge, but the word is CORPS!

Now, I personally know a E4 that transferred from the AF and she was a E2 in the Marine Corps. I also personally know there's no sense in giving up your first duty station, since there's a good chance you won't get what you asked for anyway. You will be an E2.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sorry bout the spelling. Thats why im a grunt im not the smartest person. Im more worried bout completing my mission.

You don't have to be smart to spell Corps. You seem ready to give the next few years of your life to it, why not learn simple things about it. You obviously know how to spell Army, that word ain't much smaller than Corps. Just FYI, you will take MANY tests while in bootcamp and in the FMF, so if you truly feel you aren't too bright you may want to rethink your decision already.

Anyway, keep your head down, get back safely!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No Cpl rank out of boot camp. You go in as a E-2 (PFC), but if you make Honor Man, you could pickup L/Cpl at graduation.

If you have your stuff together, getting E-4 back may be smoother for you than others.

Be prepared to take some crap from DIs about being a doggy, but since you're a two-tour infantry vet, they probably won't be too bad for too long (a small gesture of respect for your service) - as long as you have your stuff together.

There was an ex-soldier in my platoon and he didn't take as much crap as you'd think. He had his stuff together and was a squad leader from start to finish.

Stay safe and watch your six.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BR03Hopeful
    You don't have to be smart to spell Corps. You seem ready to give the next few years of your life to it, why not learn simple things about it. You obviously know how to spell Army, that word ain't much smaller than Corps. Just FYI, you will take MANY tests while in bootcamp and in the FMF, so if you truly feel you aren't too bright you may want to rethink your decision already.

Anyway, keep your head down, get back safely!
    Stand down L/CPL! This man is serving his second tour in Iraq as we speak. He's seen more time over there than you have in the Corps! So AT EASE!

Quote Originally Posted by JCobb
    I am currently serving my second deployment in Iraq with the Army. I am wanting to transfer to the Marine Corp when I get back. I've been told different things. I know I will have to go through recruit training again. I am currentky an E-4. I've been told I can come in no higher than E-2, but I've talk to prior Marines that have said they had E4's in their recruit training but the recruit had to give up their first duty station. So, I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any insight on this.
    I worked with a guy who was prior service in the Army way back when...yeah, E-2 out of bootcamp is best you can hope for joining the Corps! But, you DO get to transfer some awards and medals, ,like your jump wings and some campaign ribbons and medals you've earned but he was also disappointed with the Army and found the Marine Corps more to his liking. I'm sure you will, too! Good luck, doggie!!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I appreciate your service in Iraq and glad to hear that you saw the light and want to enlist in the Marine Corps.....but do yourself a favor...and belay your last on this statement....

Sorry bout the spelling. Thats why im a grunt im not the smartest person. Im more worried bout completing my mission

I take exception to that statement.....in the Marine Corps you need to be fairly intelligent to complete the mission with any MOS.

Good luck to you in your endeavors...but change your mindset!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Roger that SSgt.

I had a very good buddy who had 6 years Army, then into the Marines he went for 4 years. Never did get above L/CPL. Every time he was to be promoted to Cpl. he would go out and get drunk and not show up for a couple of days so no Cpl. for him. He then went back into the Army and stayed a E3 for a few years. Then he seen the light and up the Army latter he went. Retired as SGTMAJ. He said he owed it all to the USMC.

Quote Originally Posted by JCobb
    So you decided to join the best force in the world could you tell us why in your own words? Be prepared for boot camp the DI's just love doggies, Good Luck, BTW a GRUNT is the backbone of our Marine Corps.

I was discharged in 1996 as a LCPL.I went into the Army in 2005 and picked up my E-5in 2007.Now the question I have is it worth losing rank
    to wear the CORPS uniform again or should I stay where I'm at.

I think that's a question only you can answer. The question should be, is it worth it to you?

Thread Information