Motor T looked down upon?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Motor T looked down upon?

I have been told by several different people that Motor T is looked down upon by fellow Marines and it is also very difficult to get promoted in it. Is this true?

Currently I went reserves with the MOS3531 (Mobile Vehicle Operator) and hope to get into PLC as soon as I come back from my MOS training, in late January...I have also been told that I am "out of my mind" for going 3531 since Motor T is considered pretty dangerous???

Sorry if these questions are common sense but I just want to hear what you Marines have to say....

Dave

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    PM SSGT Nelson he was MT.

young infantry are envious of them who ride wheels or hooves from way back

I was originally a 3531 and the only reason why that MOS might be looked down upon is because every Marine and their brother has a Hummer license. And it might be different now, but if you're assigned to a grunt battalion you only have hummers, we didn't have any deuce in a half's or any 5 tons with 1/3 when I was there. We had some nice a suped up 151's but hummer's was basically it. Other units, and other MOS' within the 3500 field get to play with more stuff, from the mechs working at higher echelons to the drivers who get to drive the big fun stuff for a living.

And if you are talking to grunt, well, they by nature look down on most MOS' other then 03, get used to it.

As far as dangerous goes, I guess it's up there with many other MOS'. You are a big, usually slow moving target, think about it.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    And if you are talking to grunt, well, they by nature look down on most MOS' other then 03, get used to it.
    Grunts rather ride than hump....it gets ya to the objective faster.

But from what I hear and read MT is pretty dangerous as far as the new war goes with IED's and roadside bombs.

SSGT Nelson and Sgt Wookie can probally tell you the saying of MT,"We may not be the pride,but without us the pride won't ride!"

The Marine Corps needs ALL MOS's to be an integral working wheel and yes the grunts are supported by ALL but it takes ALL to keep the wheels greased and moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerMMA
    I have been told by several different people that Motor T is looked down upon by fellow Marines and it is also very difficult to get promoted in it. Is this true?

Currently I went reserves with the MOS3531 (Mobile Vehicle Operator) and hope to get into PLC as soon as I come back from my MOS training, in late January...I have also been told that I am "out of my mind" for going 3531 since Motor T is considered pretty dangerous???

Sorry if these questions are common sense but I just want to hear what you Marines have to say....

Dave
    I was in artillery and we worked well together you just need everybody to make that elite force to work .

I have requested to be in the motor T as well. it dosent matter whats considered looked down upon if you do it with pride and "keep your honor clean." we will be Marines and we'll be proud of it. keep your chin up and eyes on the road. if in doubt, DO IT ANYWAY.lol.

I remember the Motor T guys had a saying; We might not be the pride, but without us the pride don't ride.

S/F
    Finger

Well we looked down on them in FT Lenardwood becaue those bastard had like 15 njp's a liberty weekend and like 4 in the week. They where drunk **** bads who can't handle there liquor,

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hell NO MT ain't looked down on - every now and then a driver will slide over and let you drive.

Either that or ride off the side of the road through the orange groves so you can hang off the side in the back of a 5 ton and pick oranges going down the road

Vietnam======that LZ Ross to LZ Baldy run by MT was one bad a$$ run. Like when they were hauling arty ammo. Not too much of a truck was left.

Most Marines (especially grunts) look down on anybody that doesn't share their MOS. Don't worry about what other people think, pick an MOS that you think you will be good at and maybe enjoy doing. It is a little dangerous now with IED's, but passengers in the back and the gunner up in the turret aren't any safer than the driver. And I don't know who told you that Motor T promotes slowly, but they definitely don't. Promotions through LCpl are the same regardless of MOS, and the scores for both 3531's (MT drivers) and 3521's (MT mechanics) are far lower than average to pick up Cpl and Sgt. Not sure about SNCO ranks. They also have pretty high re-enlistment bonuses right now, indicating that we don't have as many as we need. Go for it

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogHEMech
    Most Marines (especially grunts) look down on anybody that doesn't share their MOS. Don't worry about what other people think, pick an MOS that you think you will be good at and maybe enjoy doing. It is a little dangerous now with IED's, but passengers in the back and the gunner up in the turret aren't any safer than the driver. And I don't know who told you that Motor T promotes slowly, but they definitely don't. Promotions through LCpl are the same regardless of MOS, and the scores for both 3531's (MT drivers) and 3521's (MT mechanics) are far lower than average to pick up Cpl and Sgt. Not sure about SNCO ranks. They also have pretty high re-enlistment bonuses right now, indicating that we don't have as many as we need. Go for it

Thank you for your comments. I feel much more comfortable now after hearing yalls opinions and suggestions. Also yes the enlistment bonus was nice, $20,000....

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Hell NO MT ain't looked down on - every now and then a driver will slide over and let you drive.

Either that or ride off the side of the road through the orange groves so you can hang off the side in the back of a 5 ton and pick oranges going down the road
    That makes sense. Dad did Motor T and they had him out in the middle of the desert in Yuma- by the orange and lemon groves.

DangerMMA, I'm not sure how long it took for him to get a promotion but I can ask if you want me to.

There was a website I fell across about a month or so ago, that said Infantry was second in the most dangerous jobs in Iraq, and MT was the first. I'll see if I can refind that site.

Thread Information