Signing contract... DEP open contract question
Create Post

Signing contract... DEP open contract question

First of all, I am new at this forum and am still finding my way around, so please bare with me. I don't not wish to offend or disrespect anyone.

I have been thinking, talking to recruiters and researching for a while. I did not see a direct answer to my question from searching, so here is goes.

I picked an MOS for infantry. I was told that a lot of people have been doing so by the recruiter. So what he said was that I was going to end up signing a DEP open contract so that he could start to work on getting the MOS that I was interested in. Then before leaving that I would sign the "official contract" (I assume) with MOS that I have chosen. He basically said that if it was not available that I could choose another or not go. Now he is a very stand up recruiter. Told me no bs about how things are, what things might happen and very detailed on many concerns. I do however have concerns about hearing horror stories about signing open contracts. How I see it is that the "initial contract" is allow the recruiter to take you down to MEPS to take the test and physical to make sure that you will not be disqualified from some bogus health concern and to see where you place on the scores from the test. Then when everything checks out you sign another contract with the MOS selected, if available. If I am wrong, please correct me. This is just my understanding of what happens.

Any help with be greatly appreciated!

Sign the piece of paper and then sign the one with your MOS on it. I did the same thing when I got in and my recruiter got me the job I wanted. And I signed a contract at my RSS then signed another at MEPS that both said the MOS I would be going into. Just make sure you know that all 03XX contracts give you the possiblity of being an 0311, 0313, 0317, 0321, 0331, 0341, 0351, or 0352. It all depends on how your scores are and how you do later on. 0321 and 0317 will happen after you get into the fleet with a series of indocs and schools. I have no clue if this has been covered before or not. So no smart aleck answer from. Just make sure in the future that you search for your topic just in case it has been covered. This site has been around a while so there are a lot of posts on here that require the search engine unless you just have a ton of time to go through the different forums post by post.

I missed my edit time. I meant to say no smart aleck answer from me. Here lately I've been thinking faster than my fingers can type for some reason.

Thanks! I just just trying to make sure that this is how the process works. Recruiter seems to be very straight forward and honest, so I just had to check it out for my own verification. Thanks for the tips! I read through many different posts, but I did not see an exact answer relating to signing different contracts. Sorry about this if this concern has been posted before

No problem at all. I was a little unsure also when I was signing up so I just bit the bullet and hoped for the best. It all worked out though. I didn't have this website then so that's why I try to answer as many questions as I can to help out.

So is that how the process actually works being that they do not have your scores or know your physical condition? Do you know if you can actually sign the initial contract with the MOS selected stated? Also, he said that the Marines are not offering enlistment bonuses. Know one way or the other, that is not why I am joining, but I see information contradicting that. Is that just an old policy/ incentive that they did away with? Whether the incentiveis there or not really does not matter, but it goes toward reliablity and honesty with the recruiter. I just figure that it is best to know what to expect ahead of time. Either way I am still going to join, so thats that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan0129
    So is that how the process actually works being that they do not have your scores or know your physical condition? Do you know if you can actually sign the initial contract with the MOS selected stated? Also, he said that the Marines are not offering enlistment bonuses. Know one way or the other, that is not why I am joining, but I see information contradicting that. Is that just an old policy/ incentive that they did away with? Whether the incentiveis there or not really does not matter, but it goes toward reliablity and honesty with the recruiter. I just figure that it is best to know what to expect ahead of time. Either way I am still going to join, so thats that.
    Not a recruiter so I don't know if that is how it works or not. My personal case it worked that way. I signed an open contract at MEPS and swore in. Went home. They got my MOS for me. I came in the office and signed a piece of paper with that MOS. Then I went to MEPS the day I shipped out. Signed my contract with that MOS and swore in the final time.

As far as I know the Corps has sign on bonuses. It just may not be in that MOS or at this current time. Also those 3 little cards you picked out when you went in... You more than likely didn't pick money so your recruiter sees that and doesn't need to worry about using a bonus on you that he could get for someone that will need that to ensure he joins.

Ok, Thanks for all the help and I wish everyone the best of luck! All the information was very helpful!

Thread Information