NAVAL ACADEMY PREP SCHOOL vs. BOOTCAMP - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Nancy, I've been holding out and reading what most most of the other poster feel on the subject, and you KNOW HOW I FEEL, lol.

Isrowei has given you some great insight as the Lt. went there, that has to help.

I of course agree with Jack, BigAl and most others, get your butt on over to Annapolis....its in a great area, (as you know I live about 1/2 hr away), and a great institution.

The balls in your court....no need to stress, its just the biggest decision of your life up to this point.

****Posting at work and got distracted and the cursed 5 minute correction rule got me again, lol.*****

"what most most of the other poster".....
    MEANT TO SAY:
    "what most of the other posters".......

I didn't read all the posts from everyone else because I don't have much time right now so forgive me if I'm repeating anything that was already said.
    If your goal is to become an officer, then by all means go to the Academy! I know how you feel about wanting to ship to boot camp, because I used to feel guilty about letting recruiters down too (they really know how to make us women feel bad). You feel like you're obligated to ship and that you'll be letting them down after you've shared some kind of bond with them. But, what you're not looking at is the longrun. After you get home from boot camp, those poolees and recruiters aren't going to be there anymore. They'll really care less about what you're doing, because there will be new poolees to worry about. It's not to be mean or anything, but they're more interested in keeping you happy so that you'll ship and fulfill your contract. The point I'm making is that if you really want to be an officer, you couldn't ask for anything better than to go to the Acedemy. You'll get a great education and it's something to be really proud of. Don't just go to boot camp because you feel guilty right now about letting recruiters down. They'll understand, believe me.

Thats a very good point Vicki, I agree about the recruiters.....they care about you but they have a job and Nancy knows about recruiters who do not get their quota....a boot in the rear and back into the fleet.

Nancy is getting it from all sides....go, don't go....do PLC....go enlisted then 92 day reservists....no, no go USNA....do OCS, etc.

I told her to take a sheet of paper and put down her options, PLC, 92 day reserve, (I assume its different than PLC), and then USNA.

Then put down the good and the bad for each, that way you can see it in writing, not just trying to sort it in her head. Then analize each and try to make a smart decision and stick with it and don't look back saying, "what if"?

We all want her to make the best decision for herself AND for the USMC.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I think that's a really good idea Sgt!

Nancy, I just stopped by here today since I haven't been on lately and just found this thread and I just have to give my opinion on this. Now I know you have been mentioning about applying to USNA a lot during Poolee Chats and such, so my answer is: Go to Naval Academy.

What is bothering you? You know you want to be an Officer. I know Mustang route is appealing as it is to many other poolees who want to be an officer,
    But First, getting accepted into Naval Academy is a big accomplishment there. Don't give that up.
    Second, as it was mentioned, being a Mustang doesn't necessarily guarentee all the respect from the enlisted Marines. It is how you do things as an Officer. You can get as much respect as Mustangs coming out from Naval Academy.
    Third, you might have the big desire to go to Recruit Training since it is just about the only thing right now we hear from so many others. It won't be the same in USNA, but you will go through the training like that regularly and I am sure that it won't be easy either.
    Lastly, you mentioned that you have been in DEP for 9 months now. I know how long of the wait that was and how much you want to be a Marine right now, but if you have waited that long, you can certainly wait about 5 more years. That 5 years in USNA (plus the Prep School) will give you more things for your future. Don't just look right in front of you but look far ahead. Just make sure to stay motivated.

That being said, I wish you the best luck!

VMI...... And be like Chesty

Marine Friend Free Member DEAVILA's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    OK!...So I had to come and give everyone the great News!!...I went to the CANDIDATE VISIT WEEK at the Naval Academy...So I was able to stay with a Midshipman...go to Classes with her..and even PT with her Company...and well I have to say..It was Totally different than what I thought it was going to be..It was absolutely amazing there!..and I had Lots of FUn!..the Midshipmen were great and very helpful. I realized that, USNA is where I belong!..and well..

I HAVE ACCEPTED MY OFFER!...IM GOING TO USNA!..YAYYY!..IM REALLY EXCITED NOW!...

AND THANK YOU GUYS!..for Posting in here..and giving me advice and stuff..You guys were RIGHT!..I need to go to the Naval Academy!..and Now I am!..and im soooo excited!...

OUT-STANDING NANCY!!!
    Congratulations on taking the offer.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Congratulations! All the best to you in your quest to become an officer.

See, I knew the visit would make a difference. This nasty civlian knows a lil somethin'.

Congratulations, do you know what prep school you're going to? I go to Hargrave Military Academy and a couple of my buddies here are going to the USNA next year

Congratulations Nancy, I am so happy to hear that you have taken this outstanding once in a life time oppertunity.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Good to go, Nancy!

Just follow your heart mate, it knows what is best for you. We can't help you for everyone is different. If your heart says you want to go boot then go that route.

Credits
    Savings
    YES!!!!!

annapolis is a great first choice... you can always go back and become a reservist if you fail annapolis.... just don't be one of those gay "Sgt Petzold is a motivator... you should be more like Sgt Petzold when it comes to PT...." (I'm the one saying that if you are confused(talking 3rd person))

I dealt with a f@cktard 1st luetenant who did that.... he was an annapolis grad....

I say go for it man!!!!! annapolis all the way!

Thread Information