NAVAL ACADEMY PREP SCHOOL vs. BOOTCAMP
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member DEAVILA's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

NAVAL ACADEMY PREP SCHOOL vs. BOOTCAMP

I need some advice right now..from anyone..and everyone..

So, I Depped in June 6th 07' during my junior year of high school..and since..I have made the plan of going to Bootcamp as a 92day reservist...and after graduation..going to college..and applying for the PLC...that way...I could do my split two 6 week sessions at OCS...therefore, I would be doing my first 6 weeks of OCS in the summer of 09'..and my other 6 weeks the summer after that..After Finishing my senior year of College..and receiving my Commission I would be going off to TBS...and so forth..

WELL, heres where I'd Like to get everyones Opinions and advice...I'm the Senior Poolee and the GUIDE and my RSS..I love the people at my RSS..I formed a Bond with them..and its just a really tough decision for me right now..

During the Fall/Winter...I applied to the U.S Naval Academy...
    I received the acceptance letter to the Naval Academy Prep School today..(which is also verrrrryyyy hard to get into)...

and now....I have to choose...Bootcamp as a 92day reservist...(taste the Enlisted side)..do the PLC right away...and Become an officer in 4 years...
    or
    get Dropped from the DEP (after 9 months of being in the DEP)...go to NAPS (Naval Academy Prep School)..for 9 months..and then go to the ACADEMY (Annapolis)...for 4 years....and become an officer...5 years from now...

THIS IS THE HARDEST DECISION OF MY LIFE!!..I'd really like to get some advice..or just tell me what you think...Im really stressing out here..I had a Plan since the moment that I Depped in...and Now...I got accepted to the NAPS..and well...CHIT!..i have no idea what im going to do..

My heart is telling me to go to BOOT...and then go Officer...Its not telling me to go to ANNAPOLIS....

*shrug*

If your heart is not telling you to go to Annapolis... what's the problem?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei
    *shrug*

If your heart is not telling you to go to Annapolis... what's the problem?

I got sooo much help from teachers, and Counselors and everyone at school with my application..My Counselor really wants me to go to Annapolis...because it will be the best decision in the LONG RUN...(if that made any sense)..
    Its just hard for me to say NO to them..after soo much that they've done for me...Ive already told my counselor..that i dont wanna go there..i just dont feel it..But then end up making me feel like CHIT...after they say...That I would make a huugeeee Mistake if I let this 1 in a lifetime Opportunity....

Soooo UGHhhhhhhhhh!!!!....im stressed out..

Well... it is a once in a life-time opportunity. So are a lot of things.

In the end, the decision is yours. Make it based on what you would rather do. No one can live your life for you.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei
    Well... it is a once in a life-time opportunity. So are a lot of things.

In the end, the decision is yours. Make it based on what you would rather do. No one can live your life for you.
    Thank You Lt...you are absolutely right...You Made me feel better with those words....

If I could do it all over again, I would have busted my ass and went into the Naval Academy. But it's easy for me to look back and see what I would have done different. If I was given the chance, I would go.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneRJ
    If I could do it all over again, I would have busted my ass and went into the Naval Academy. But it's easy for me to look back and see what I would have done different. If I was given the chance, I would go.
    Yeah...thats something I think about aswell..what if I end up regretting not going to the Naval Academy....so its hard..i really have to think lONGGG and Hard about this one.

Credits
    Savings
    Nancy, you and I have talked about this before.

It has been your dream to get into the Academy.

To be a ring knocker.

My Gawd Child, what was your question?

Jeez, get your butt into the Academy.

Remember where you are from. Remember what I have seen you write before. You worked your asre off, now go.

Just make sure you wear a Marine uniform.

Oh yeah, the folks at your RSS! Sheeit, they have ALL listened to your female banter about the USNA. THEY are all behind you, ALL of them.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165
    Nancy, you and I have talked about this before.

It has been your dream to get into the Academy.

To be a ring knocker.

My Gawd Child, what was your question?

Jeez, get your butt into the Academy.

Remember where you are from. Remember what I have seen you write before. You worked your asre off, now go.

Just make sure you wear a Marine uniform.

Oh yeah, the folks at your RSS! Sheeit, they have ALL listened to your female banter about the USNA. THEY are all behind you, ALL of them.
    THere was a Point in time..where I thought I really wanted to Go to the ACADEMy...
    but then realized that I wasnt really happy about going over there anymore...

I guess I worked my asss off to get in...because i didn't want to let my Counselor down..I've always had this thing..where i need to Please others...(kinda dumb I know)....
    but thats just how I am...
    seeing My counselors face when she said:
    "Nancy...You're very smart, and you know that the Academy will be the best choice for you. You dont have to worry about Money, or anything and it will be one of the best choices you've ever made with your life. It would be a Hugggeee Mistake if you let this Once in a Lifetime Chance go..."

Seee..I mean..that gets to me..and it makes me wanna say.."Yes MA'AM"... and just go for it...But then It makes me all sad..and bummed out to think that I have been in the DEP for 9 months...and then i get dropped 3 months before i was SUppose to go to Bootcamp....

Credits
    Savings
    i am going to leave this post like this -

You received your acceptance letter TODAY.

Sit back, DO nothing you may regret.

For once, think of yourself.

Your whole life is in front of you.

You have to do what your heart says, not what other people tell you would be "best" to do. You don't want to be looking back at things and regretting a decision because you didn't follow what you wanted. I had that happen when I initially went to join the Corps because I was offered a contract to model, but I wanted in on the military more, so I chose that despite people telling me I was nuts. You have to life your life for you, not others. Good luck, girl! :-)

Credits
    Savings
    Methinks me and RockSteady were posting at the same time and said the same thing.

Credits
    Savings
    I understand what you are saying...
    i really appreciate it the advice you guys are giving me...Its helping me out a lot...Its still veryyy hard..believe me...but I'll make my decision by next week..well i have to make it by next week...
    I want to follow my heart...and thats going to Boot..and then becoming an officer (like my original plan was to do)...
    Besides..I'll wear the TITLE of MARINE whichever way i go......

Credits
    Savings
    Sheeit!!

My brother was in a similar situation, he wanted to be Army Infantry so bad, he wanted to get to the fight. He also wanted to be an officer as well and my parents pushed and pushed and pushed him to goto school.
    Well he went to school, joined the GA National Guard and now he regrets it. He tells me everyday, "man I wish I went active duty." Now he has to wait till his contract ends with the NG before he can switch. So now he is stuck, his unit was slated to go to Afghanistan, but they are being replaced by a Marine unit instead.

So, everything he really wanted, won't he can't get. All because he let my parents do the choosing for him. He is kicking himself everyday, while all of his buddies are out there he is at home going to school.

Don't make that mistake, my parents wanted me to go to school first and become an officer. I did 1 semester at DeVry University. Didn't like it, it just kept me from getting my title. Now that I am a Marine, my parents and my friends are still proud of me. They don't look at me differently because I'm enlisted or an officer. I don't care if you end up in the Navy. Nancy you will always be my friend, and I'll back up any decision you make, because we all know how determined you are.

I know this is a big decision, but like everyone else said, follow your heart. I did by joining the Marines and doing Infantry, and I'm not regretting any of it, good or bad.

Thread Information