From Marine Corps to Law Enforcement?
Create Post

From Marine Corps to Law Enforcement?

After the Marine Corps I want to get involved in law enforcement. I was wondering if police departments actually think of Marines as being highly qualified for the job even if they are not grunts or MPs? I'm in avionics. If so, would it be possible to start off as a state trooper instead of a local cop?

i guarantee you Marines are HIGHLY thought in LE or in any profession.when i go to my RVN reunions,many of us are LE,former or retired LE.Marines have a reputation unequaled.

RuffNight, I was in the airwing and had no problems. As for you starting off as a state LEO. Go ahead. In fact, I would apply/test for all open positions. May it be fed, state, county, or local. Just keep your act clean and you will be fine. Be safe.

I was in both the Wing and the ground side. I had no problems, either.

I was a federal LEO for 10 years. I am a graduate of FLETC and rose to a supervisory position. The fact that you are a Marine is a plus, as long as your reputaion is one of someone who is level headed. Departnemts like officers who can think on their feet and take care of situations that need to be resolved. My only problem I ever had is that I tended to end situations quite definitively and sometimes dramtically. But in the end, the situation got handled.
    Most departments that I know of are not really impressed with your knowledge or lack of knowledge of various weapon systems or most other Marine stuff you might know. What a lot of departments I know of value is education and leadership. Lord knows the world lacks GOOD leaders and if you can engrain the USMC Leadership traits and principles into yourself, and truely live by the code of Honor, Courage, Committment (regardless if its cool to do it by your peers or not), you will be well served. But before you get out, GO TO COLLEGE! You may very well be competing against 4-year college or even those with graduate degrees. The ony thing that won it over for me was that I was a 5811 & 8511 (MP & DI). There are a TON of schools you can go to that offers degrees in all sorts of subjects including criminal justice. Just Go for it! I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RuffNight2007
    After the Marine Corps I want to get involved in law enforcement. I was wondering if police departments actually think of Marines as being highly qualified for the job even if they are not grunts or MPs? I'm in avionics. If so, would it be possible to start off as a state trooper instead of a local cop?
    The USMC is a fine qualification to go into any Law Enforcement Department or Division. An honorable discharge is highly sought after and actually preferred in some states...I know it is in Ohio. You have the right traits to enter a paramilitary organization with leaderships qualities and attention to detail and with the endeavor and ability to succeed. A college degree can't teach that stuff! But...a college degree does open more dorrs for yo so don't put that out of your mind just yet. You may want to look into getting a BA degree at some point. After getting my Master's, I never realized I'd go so far. It was difficult at times just like everything else but you have to understand, you'll only go so far without one. Any more questions, just PM me! Good luck!!

Definatley, not sure if they still do it. But, a couple days before I got out they had a seminar with several of the law enforcement agencies trying to recruit us into their departments as soon as we got out.

I am sure they still do it in some places. BUT~~~ I doubt if they will pay you as soon as you got out. They are probably wanting you to apply and start the application and selection process which can take some time to do and you are usually not paid for this process.

So, start looking about a year before you get out to see what's out there. Start the application process while you are still in (take leave to do it if you have too) and then IF you are accepted, then you might start fairly soon after you actually get out.

While you are at it, even though some departments may offer a rather attractive starting wage, look into how much they pay and how much you will have to pay for things like health insurance, retirement, and other things you get for free in the Corps. I suspect that it might cost you hundreds of $$ per month to get health insurance for you and your family. Also check into the deductables, etc. All this comes "off the top" of your pay check which will significantly reduce the amount you actually bring home to feed the wife and kids. So beware of the awesome starting money they might promise you and investigate all the little things you will have to pay for out of that "awesome starting salary".

Overtime? Yes it out there, but if you work enough of it, Uncle sam will also get his pound or 2 of flesh. In some cases, although you work alot of OT, you will also be paying more taxes. EVERYTHING in the civilian world is taxable. Even if you work for the Federal Government as a civil servant, (like I did) even though they say that they will pay to move you on a PCS, the money they pay to move you will be counted as if you were paid the money and you will have to pay taxes on it. Only the military gets tax free money (BAQ, Comrats (BAS), travel, etc.) .

Food for thought before you go hoping the fence for some greener grass.

Thread Information