Capt Travis Ford, November 1972 - April 2003
Create Post

Capt Travis Ford, November 1972 - April 2003

You've never met a goodhearted man unless you've met Travis Ford. Always a contagious smile ready to brighten your lousiest of lousy days--a good joke, a kind pat on the arm, a "let me put it in perspective" comment that brought you back to reality...sometimes he would get naked just for laughs. If you had a minute with Travis, you had a highlight in your day. That's just the way he was.

Travis was small but, lord, was he powerful. In every sense of the word. He carried his own weight, and didn't think twice about carrying others' when they needed it. I benefitted from his power many times that I can remember, and there surely were other times when Travis carried me and I didn't even know it. That's just the way he was.

He did his absolute best to make sure you were taken care of. He put others over self to the extreme; I don't know the details of the crash, but I imagine it had something to do with Travis's selflessness. That's just the way he was.

Just like Ben Sammis, I see Travis sitting up in Heaven watching the glorious liberation of Iraq. He's saying to anyone who can hear, "I want to climb that statue! I want to party in that square! I want to celebrate with those people!" And, of course, St Peter will say, "You are there, Travis. You always were."

Semper Fi, Ford. And don't get naked in Heaven; it's bad form.

To which St Peter will say, "He already is, Ron. He always was."

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    CaptRon,

Not taking anything away fro Ben Sammis or Travis Ford, But I DO believe that YOU are a friend worth having.

Sir,
    Capt Travis Ford reminds me of another Officer.
    Who was short in height but went the extra mile for many.
    1st Lt. Frank Stanley Reasoner MOH recipent in Vietnam.
    Was my Platoon Commander in Bravo Company 3rd Recon Bn.
    Died as Company Commander of Alpha Company 3rd Recon Bn.
    Trying to rescue his radioman.
    He was short but very powerful.
    I think that I learn much about of leadership by his example.
    Capt Travis Ford and 1st Lt. Frank S. Reasoner are now in charge of the guard detail in heaven.
    Sir, you set an example that Marine will always be alive if we remember them.

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

1stSgt Mike- Thanks for the kind words, I'd like to think that too.

MilRat- I'm always amazed (but not surprised anymore) at the heart that the small guys exhibit. I remember reading about 1stLt Reasoner, so I looked up his citation again. It means more to me now knowing that he and Travis shared some of the same qualities. I have no doubt that had Travis been in Lt Reasoner's shoes, he would have done the exact same thing--he was that kind of guy.

Thread Information