USMC Cammie Helmet covers
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    By the way, when in WWII did Leathernecks get cammie helmet covers? That was after Guadalcanal-right? They had '03s there, not m-1s?
    S/F
    Eric

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 02-28-08 at 04:12 PM.

I'm thinking that it was more toward 1943 and later when the camo covers came into use.

However, here is a RARE camo helmet cover. Made in Australia for the Marines by the Aussies, since supply problems were such an issue.

This photo is of one in a collection 'down under' and courtesy of the US Militaria forums.

Most covers that are out there are circa 1943 and later.

One point of note, the popular idea that WWII Marines had the EGA on the helmet cover is WRONG. That didn't show up until after the war and was done during Korea and later. Anyone trying to sell as WWII a cover with an EGA on it better have photo documentation of THAT cover being worn by a MARINE in the Pacific and it better have come right from the family. That's how rare and scarce one would be, because it just wasn't done.

So, to answer the question, yes, after Guadalcanal. To both.

Camo covers started to appeared at the very tail end of 1942 in stateside training.

And the only time you would ever see a WWII Marine with an EGA on his helmet cover is if the Marine pinned the insignia to the cover, which I have never seen photographic evidence of, but many reenactors still insist on doing so.

Now this-----when were the Marines isued the M1?

After Guadalcanal.
    1st Mar Div began replacing the '03 and by the end of 1943 the USMC had completely replaced the 03 Springfield with the M1 .

The Marines were hesitant at first, but after a competition they had in 1940 testing the Garand againts the Johnson and a gas operated Winchester, they chose the Garand.

Yes you are right. But you know how we Marines like to "comshaw" army gear. Done it myself in Vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung
    Yes you are right. But you know how we Marines like to "comshaw" army gear. Done it myself in Vietnam.
    or have Army gear pushed on us...like when the Marines in the AEF were made to drop their P1917 uniforms in WWI.
    It was done partly because the P1917 looked similar to the German uniforms and because Pershing refused to burden the AEF supply with 2 seperate uniforms...still the Marines hated switching over, it was like changing from Marpat to the ACU.
    I can hear those Leathernecks now "What?! I don't want to wear that crap brown looking thing." but in a more colorful language.

Bingo! LOL. The concession was (with those uniforms) that they were allowed to place USMC buttons on them instead of the Army buttons. Later on the enlisted Marines were allowed to wear the EGA collar disc.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung
    Being a bit of a history buff, I have read in several books on the Guadalcanal campaign that Marines began to acquire M-1 Garands very shortly after Army troops arrived on the island. I leave the acquisition methods to your imagination.

Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    I'm thinking that it was more toward 1943 and later when the camo covers came into use.

However, here is a RARE camo helmet cover. Made in Australia for the Marines by the Aussies, since supply problems were such an issue.

This photo is of one in a collection 'down under' and courtesy of the US Militaria forums.

Most covers that are out there are circa 1943 and later.

One point of note, the popular idea that WWII Marines had the EGA on the helmet cover is WRONG. That didn't show up until after the war and was done during Korea and later. Anyone trying to sell as WWII a cover with an EGA on it better have photo documentation of THAT cover being worn by a MARINE in the Pacific and it better have come right from the family. That's how rare and scarce one would be, because it just wasn't done.

So, to answer the question, yes, after Guadalcanal. To both.
    I have one of these on a steel pot.

Now, THAT I'd like to see. If you have pics, post em! If not or you don't know how, send me a PM of em and I'll post them for you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Now, THAT I'd like to see. If you have pics, post em! If not or you don't know how, send me a PM of em and I'll post them for you.
    I will double check the pattern to make sure. It was in an attic that I was hired to clean out. Even had a German Officers Dagger. I sold that though.

Your killin me here LOL. And if you want to 'get rid' of that helmet 'just lying around'....

Well.....you know who to PM *hint hint*

Regardless of pattern, I'd still like to see the pics.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your killin me here LOL. And if you want to 'get rid' of that helmet 'just lying around'....

Well.....you know who to PM *hint hint*

Regardless of pattern, I'd still like to see the pics.
    Here it is. It is dated 1955. It is rough. looks like kids got to play with it. It took me awhile to get this picture the right size. I will try to add helment also.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2035.JPG‎
Views:	855
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	5277  

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtHopperUSMC
    Here it is. It is dated 1955. It is rough. looks like kids got to play with it. It took me awhile to get this picture the right size. I will try to add helment also.
    Photo of helment in gallery.

Thread Information