Button Thread
Create Post

Thread: Button Thread

Button Thread

Since the topic was brought up, post pics of your buttons on your uniforms here.
    This is a closeup of a brown USMC button on a Vandegrift (or 'Ike') jacket, circa 1950's.

Next up, something you will likely NEVER see....
    It's real. After much discussion on one of my military forums, the experts decided it's a WWI or Pre-WWI. The EGA is from the Spanish American War period.

Button close up:

EXTREMELY rare private purchase officer's buttons from WWI. These likely were for the summer tunic circa 1912 or so as they are removable.

Here's how they are held to the uniform:

Although private purchase, they are a composition 'vegetable' type and NOT made of metal or brass.

The Marines in WWI had these made and issued. The regular snap was replaced on the canteen cover with:

These covers are marked USMC and dated. Extremely rare but can still be found.

The seller is saying these are reproduction Civil War USMC buttons. No doubt Union.

10.00 for a set of 6, BTW. Website is here, least I can do since I stole his image LOL
    http://www.shipscompany.org/Buttons.htm

WWI issue button. Used for a long time after WWI as well:

Reverse:

These were used for a LONG time after the Civil War.

NOTE: ALL IMAGES POSTED HERE (with the exception of the ships company button image) ARE NOT MINE BUT USED WITH PERMISSION OF THE USMILITARIA FORUM. PLEASE CREDIT SAME IF YOU USE THEM.

Button with S S H above it?

Hi, Can anyone tell me any information about a silver button that has an anchor with the letters S S H above? I have it with my vintage Marine buttons but I don't think it belongs there. Thanks in advance.

Please post a profile. You can send me a pic of the button and I'll try and ID it for you.

S S H Button

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Please post a profile. You can send me a pic of the button and I'll try and ID it for you.
    It is silver, has a rope border and is on a lined field, maybe like a military school button? thanks ...

If you posted a pic, I can't see it, sorry. Sounds almost like a railroad button.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sgt. Lep,
    Always love these kinds of Threads you start.
    Great History and Photos.
    Thank you My Brother.
    Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Anytime bro!

Awesome Sgt. Leprechaun, thanks so much!

Thread Information