New York Recruiter to answer questions - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lakeland, Florida smack inbetween Tampa and Orlando
    Credits
    Savings

Reserve GI Bill

That's cool, I was beginning to think i was the only one wanting to do something like this. I'm not doing the 92-k plan though. I'm going to just go to boot around january and be done with MOS training by the end of summer. My scholarships and everything will wait, so why not? The Reserve GI bill as i understand it works like this... If you sign up for less than 6 years of commitment, you dont get any money until you're through. However if you enlist for a 6yr or greater term of enlistment you get a monthly check to help you out so you can go to school while you're still in the reserves. I understand also that they just add it in with you're pay and it's one of those things where the money doesnt HAVE to be used for school... it's just yours. I think it totals to a little above $400 B4 taxes. After three years of school, when i get my degree, i'll just fill out the papers and transfer over to active duty. Along with this i'm told, comes the ability to laterally transfer your MOS so you dont have to do the thing you were doing in the reserves just because it was the nearest unit. Good luck, and private message me sometime if you want more info... better yet talk to sixguns about it. I do

Lakeland, Florida smack inbetween Tampa and Orlando
    Credits
    Savings

Reserve GI Bill

They dont take anything out of your pay like they do in the active duty program, but then again you dont get as much either. Im not sure if your monthly and GI Bill checks are separated or if they come in a lump sum, but like i said, you put as much of it towards college as you want... If you're going to college full time, you get the money. For instance, i have scholarships and dont need it for tuition, but they still send me the money regardless. Since i commute 35 miles to school both ways, I could damn sure use it to pay for gas.

Thread Information