USMC enlistment question
Create Post

USMC enlistment question

It's my career goal and life's dream to become a U.S. Marine.

Y'see, I thought I would be an excellent candidate for the Marines ... I've never tried any illegal drugs, I've never even remotely gotten in trouble with the law, I'm in good health, though I wear glasses for computer and reading work I could probably pass an eye exam as 20/20 (my prescription is practically nothing), and even though I'm homeschooled I'll have a real diploma since it's really considered just another private school. Then I thought, oh shoot! A few years ago I had some real emotional issues. When was 12 I was bulimic for a few months. After 5 weeks of outpatient treatment all was well. Then, when I was 12 1/2 I overdosed on tylenol and had to be hospitalized while they got it out of my system. For about a year off and on I saw a therapist. I was never diagnosed with anything and never put on medication, but do you think that would stop me from enlisting?

I know that was quite personal ... I'm sorry if it was overwhelming.

If I have to take a blow of disappointment I rather it be sooner so I can look into other options than later.

I'm currently 15 and plan to enlist in about 22 months on my 17th birthday. I plan to graduate high school a few weeks before my 17th birthday, have the support of my parents, and am preparing now physically and academically. I've been okay since my overdose and don't foresee any problems in the future. Will I need a waiver? By the time I'm 17 it'll have been 4.5 years since I overdosed and 3.5 years since I saw a therapist. My passion is to do all I can to become a U.S. Marine. I don't want to see that go away.

Registered User Free Member Barrio_rat's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Enlistment

From what you stated and from what I know for joining the Marines you should have no problem. They would only be concerned with clinical diagnosis. That this happened to you at a very young age and does not affect you today, I doubt seriously that they would have any problem signing you up. I also had counseling when I was in high school with a therapist. Depression and anger were my problems. The subject never came up since I wasn't diagnosed with anything.

You can, though you are 15, go to a recruiter and tell them what you are planning. Let them know what your goals are and ask them questions. I was contacting my recruiters from the time I was a freshman in high school. I learned a lot from them and was told that some of the programs would not be available to me while others may open up when it came time for me to sign up. By the time I did sign up, I knew what I wanted and I knew where I wanted to go. That was a great feeling when making such a life changing decision. By going to the recruiters now, and it sounds like your parents are supportive of this - so bring them along, it will help you in making that same decision. So you have time to research what MOS's are available to you and that you hold an interest in. One thing I would suggest. Look to the future. What would you like to do when you get out of the Marines. I know, no one wants out. I would have signed a 30 year contract if they had it. Looking back, I'm glad that wasn't an option! Things change. So you should look at an MOS that will prepare you or train you in something you'd like to do as a civilian. If you never get out, it's just a plus. If you do get out, you're ahead of your peers. I'm sure recruiters will talk with you and they will help you. Especially if they see that you really desire to be in the Marines. I wish you luck in your journey. Have a great day and Semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Post It's all in the documentation

The issues you discuss will mostly not be an issue for enlistment. Remember, by the time you are 17, these incidents will have happened 5 years ago. Nonetheless, MEPS will probably want to see medical documentation on these two issues. The MEPS doctor may also send you for a consultation with another doctor to get a second opinion. The MEPS has all the regulations and guidance on disqualifying conditions. The doctor will use these regulations and the findings from your medical examination to determine your eligibility for service. Stay healthy and focused on your goals.

SF,

Thank you both!

That's an enormous relief.

In my post I may have misworded a few things: I was diagnosed with bulimia (but treated and considered "cured" within six weeks of being diagnosed) but after overdosing I was never diagnosed with depression or anything of the sort or put on any medication.

Around the first of the year I plan to make my first visit with my recruiter. At this point I'd be too embarrassed. As much as I feel I know about the Corps there's so much I have yet to cover. Physically I also need to make some changes, which I'm working on.

Thank you for your quick responses. They put my mind at ease.

Jess

Thread Information