New York Recruiter to answer questions
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New York Recruiter to answer questions

My name is Sgt Kurz, a Marine Corps Recruiter in the Central New York area, RSS Utica, PCS Oneida.
    If anyone has any questions about joining the Corps or questions in general, please feel free to ask.
    Knowledge truly is power.
    I look forward to answering any and all questions that anyone may have. I will get back with you if I don't have the answers on the spot.

Semper Fi!
    Sgt Kurz

Last edited by Sixguns; 07-28-02 at 09:05 AM.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I already know what Company and Recruit Training Battlion I will be in, can I know what Platoon?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Post Platoon assignment

While it is known what battalion and company you will belong to when you ship to training, it is not possible to know the platoon number you will be assigned to. Each company has a manpower requirement. The company is formed by platoons. The platoons are filled as recruits arrive at MCRD. Numbers are sometimes juggled to even out the number of recruits in each platoon as recruits are processed. There is no way to know what platoon assignment you will get.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

pay question

Not that I joined cause of the money, but I was looking at the pay charts, now is that how much you are paid monthly or on the 1st and 15th of the month?

Credits
    Savings

Unhappy UTOH

I hope you didn't join for the paycheck because it is not enough to live off of as a Pvt or Pfc or Lcpl.....
    The rate is monthy. Depending on how many dependents you have, where you are stationed, beq, and other factors can increase that amount.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Monthly Pay

Divide the number in two for each payday amount (roughly). Remember, taxes and social security come out of that. But remember, you are not paying for meals, clothing or housing. Essentially, it is all spending money. Start planning your financial future by putting some money aside while you're young.

Lakeland, Florida smack inbetween Tampa and Orlando
    Credits
    Savings

Is college in the reserves practical?

Hi. Please give me your thoughts. Im 18 and have completed my first year of college. I live in florida where i am taking advantage of full scholarships for school. I want to join the marines full time but i see that it would be stupid to throw away so much free college money. Would the reserves be a viable option in my case? As i understand it i would go through boot and serve active duty for a short time, then my commitment would only be one weekend a month. Since i have 5 years to use the rest of my scholarship money, would it be plausible to complete my degree under reserve status and then change to active duty full time? Thanks for your help!

Silver_XAT

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question

Iam a 16 year old male. I have a lot of interest in history and what happend to our country. Iam also interested in fighting for it. Iam looking forward to joining the Marines after I take an rotc program. Theres only one problem, i've had to have numerous eye surgeries at Bascon Palmer after the tip of the screwdiver hit my left eye when I was three. A year ago i started having hemrages in it and I ended up having the eye removed (an evisoration). I wear glasses to protect my good eye and so I can see (iam 20/20 in right with them on). Iam wondering if iam still able to be in the infantry. Thanks for your time.
    -The Lion

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Reserves (Silver_XAT)

The reserves is a great idea for you. With your education getting paid for through scholarships, the reserves will offer you the opportunity to be a full-time college student and a part-time Marine. You can even get the GI Bill money for college, even though you have scholarships that already pay for school. You need to speak to a recruiter about the 92-day split "K" program. This is a reserve program that sends you to Recruit Training during your summer and guarantees to have you home in time for the Fall semester. THis will require you to ship to training in May or June in order to complete recruit training, generally, 29 calendar days. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Vision (The Lion)

Unfortunately, having only one eye is disqualifying. The physical examination administered by MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Stations) requires applicants for all branches to fill out a questionaire and discuss potential disqualifications with the doctor. Having vision in only one eye is a disqualifying condition. To my knowledge, there is no way around this. Regardless of your vision or refraction in your one eye, there will most likely be no way to overcome the established standards for military service. I appreciate your desire to serve as a Marine and hope you continue to be a loyal supporter of those men and women who are Marines.

Semper Fi,

Credits
    Savings

Unhappy

I feel like someone just shot me. :hurt:

Don't be too disappointed "Lion" You can't change history.

Do what all Marines do; suck it up and strive to follow our basic tenets and you'll succeed with your future. Our principals are available for all to follow and will guide you well.

Good luck son!

I've been running into some trouble myself Lion, the age clock is ticking in the other direction for me though, and I am wondering if I won't be coming to the same conclusion. So you're not alone here. By the way, an interesting co-incidental trivia fact for you...God's honest truth: I have a one-eyed friend who goes to school in West Palm Beach Fla. Strange coincidence, eh????

Credits
    Savings
    huh thats weird
    Gotta catch up on my sleep, school just started it's our first weekend now

Semper Fi :sleeping:

Hey Silver_XAT
    I planning to join the Reserves too. Like you, I am 18 and I just completed my first year of college. I watch jealously as my cousin went to Boot on the split "K" program( He is the same age and also completed his first year of college). We both plan to finish college while being part time Marines. He told me the split program was full or something. So I am going to go Summer 2003.
    I have a question though, can someone explain the Montgomery GI Bill to me? How does it help pay for college. Does it take money out of your pay?

Thanks

Thread Information