MOS 0203-Scout Sniper Platoon Commander
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

MOS 0203-Scout Sniper Platoon Commander

Hello,
    I am a college senior and I am seriously considering joining the Marine Corp upon graduation.
    I am considering trying for a ground intelligence officer position and am told I would most likely end up as a scout sniper platoon commander initially.
    I would like to hear any information as to what this job entails on a day to day basis? I have read all the liturature I can find and talked to my recruiter (however she is in a completely unrelated MOS and doesn't have a lot of specifics).
    I am especially interested in hearing from any scout snipers or officers that are in or have had this job.
    I am looking for an MOS that does not put me behind a desk, at least for the majority of the time. I have also considered joining enlisted infantry and trying to work up to an NCO rank; however, all the recruiters I have talked to so far have not seemed to like this idea since I am almost done with college. I'm not joining for the money and have no family to support so the pay differences between officers and enlisted do not factor into my decision at all. If anyone has any thoughts on this as well I would appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance for helping out a wannabe,
    Roy

I am hoping that since you're viewing your profile, you are filling it out.

Quote Originally Posted by roy5506
    .... am told I would most likely end up as a scout sniper platoon commander initially.
    ROFL. Who the fk told you that? Clearly someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

You can do some searches on these forums on how Officer's obtain their MOS.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2
    ROFL. Who the fk told you that? Clearly someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

You can do some searches on these forums on how Officer's obtain their MOS.
    The recruiter was told that by her CO, a Major who served in ground intelligence. Also the MOS guide from www.marineofficercandidate.com/MOS/intelligence(0203).htm says "Initially, the ground intelligence officer will serve as a scout sniper platoon commander in the infantry battalion."
    I have done a few searches and I read a little but I just found this site tonight and I have a meeting with the recruiter tomorrow morning so I was hoping to get some quick info tonight. Can you briefly describe a more realistic expectation on how officers obtain their MOSs.
    Thanks

This is new information to me. I always thought these were infantry officer assignments. I think they're overstating it, though. There are way more intel officers than available STA platoon leaders. I'm betting that most of these stay on intel staff and not as platoon leaders.

Since I laughed at you, I'll serve up the answer to your question:

When you're graduating from TBS, your class is ranked and divided into thirds. The top of each third gets their first choice of MOS if it is available. So, if you have a 100 person class, the 1st, 34th, and 67th placed officer get's their first choice.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the info, that is very interesting and something I had not heard before. One of the many small details I never seem to hear from recruiters...
    Anyone elso who can chime in on what the position would be like assuming I that I could get it would be appreciated.
    Thanks

The idea behind the STA platoon leader being an Intel officer was to give the ground intelligence officer a leadership role as well as some 'actual' experience as a grunt, since he would be briefing grunts and those 'on the ground'. It was also a way to get more officers into the MOS as well as make it more 'sexy' for people to WANT to become Intel officers.
    (I worked for the Director of Marine Corps Intelligence during my last tour and there were constant meetings/discussions about this topic)

The problem likely is now, that there are more Intel officers than there are STA platoon billets. AND a place needs to be found for them. I'd guess that only the top 10 percent, (or so..give or take) out of ground intel school, as well as the other required schools, get those slots.

Lastly, Sgt V is correct, the choice of MOS is almost totally dependant on class standing, then 'needs of the Corps'. The prospective officer's wants and desires fall VERY far down on that list.

Thanks for the insight, Sgt. Lep.
    My initial reaction to the question was based on the fact that there cannot be that many STA platoon leader billets to promise anything like what that link states.

Confirm something else for us. The STA platoon leaders aren't shooters, right?

Sgt V, I take it you mean 'aren't shooters', as in, haven't been to Scout/Sniper school?

In that case, as far as I know, you are correct. Of course, there are always exceptions to 'prove' that rule, but it's not what the STA/Intel officer would be there for. Not when he has trained Marines to do the job for him.

Roy
    SGT V and SGT Lep are both correct in the manner of getting your duty assignment. The needs of the Corps comes first.

But if you think you are going to be the one out in the bush, gathering the intel, you are mistaken. You will have the teams doing that work and they will inform you of their mission. ratherly do officers snoop and poop in the battalion with STA. that is left to the NCO and SNCO's.

Intel officers sometimes, not all the time but sometimes go to the seo course, they may go out on training missions but no, they don't go "out" in the real world. In my opinion they should go to sss but, they only stay there for short periods of time so if they ever get to go to school (sniper school) it'll be sort of a waste, chief scouts pretty much run the show.

I smell some bum scoop.

Some very lucky 0203's may go to a SS platoon. Hell some are being called over to be in charge of infantry platoons. As an 0203 you will go to Scout Sniper Platoon Leaders Course, this teaches you how to use your Snipers by the books, however, the SNCO's will be directing most of the work on the ground anyway. Most 0203's will go to the head shed and work in the S2/G2 shops (behind the desk work). Some 0203 and 0302's get to go to the Scout Sniper Course if there is room. The thinking behind this is not to have them the trigger man but to see more in depth what his Marines are capable of doing. 0203 can be a very fun and interesting job but many who join the Corps wanting 0203 look at it as a sexy MOS, sure you can try out for recon as a 0203, but 95% of the Marines in the Corps don't even have what it takes to be a Recon Marine so the thought that a civilian does, well thats for the birds. You want to be on the ground with Marines go 0302 or 1302, but realize once you hit Captain or even 1st LT you may be behind a desk at company level anyway. The true on the ground Marines are those Enlisted Marines. Officers are the support elements for the platoon basically, admin paper work, logistical planning, training schedules etc.

I'm with 2/5 and we got in a new 2nd LT... great guy by the way he was our 2 alpha 0203 he went to ITB - IOC -then GIOC "Ground Intel officers course" then to us... we had him for a month and then he became a platoon commander for Echo Co. then he said he may get a SSP commander spot... the thing that lets them do this is that 0203's go to IOC the equivalent of ITB so they are Gruts that have a Intel background and are officers.

Yup, I know a few 0203's that have been in the Platoon Comanders role in Infantry Battalions. Not to throw sand in your face or anything but ITB is nothing in comparison to IOC. Sure they both give the Marine the 03 designation but outside of that IOC far surpasses ITB.

Thread Information