Marine or marine?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Marine or marine?

I've been a member now for, I'm guessing, a little over five years now and this question I am about to ask I don't really recall asking it or if I saw this question and following answer before....bear with me.
    I just finished reading a book about Marine Corps Scout/Snipers in Iraq and the word "marine" was always written with a lower case "m" unless the word "marine " was starting a sentence. My question is, when is it proper to capitalize the M in Marine? I know that a lot of good natured ball busting gets directed to those, especially, poolies and newbies who do not capitalize the word Marine. What's the scoop? My guess is that as soon as the word becomes "formal" as in United States Marine Corps or at the beginning of a sentence, eg., Marine, what the %$#@ are you doing?, the M is upper case; all other usages of the word Marine are begin with a lower case m. Am I on the right track, Marines or marines?
    Gary

Marine should always be capitalized.

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by outlaw3179
    Marine should always be capitalized.
    Agree

Marine is to be capitalized since it refers to a title and is sometimes used in place of a proper name (e.g. Hey Marine, adjust your cover!", Vice President of Sales, Mr Jones, Public Relations Officer etc etc).

One thing I have noticed in some books when it is not capitalized is generally due to the program that checks spelling, grammar and puncuation.

About the only time I expect to see (or use) the word "marine" not capitalized is when it is used in reference to water terms (marine life for example) or as used in this sentence.

Credits
    Savings
    One thing I have noticed in some books when it is not capitalized is generally due to the program that checks spelling, grammar and puncuation.
    The book, HOGS in the SHADOWS - Combat Stories from Marine Snipers in Iraq by Milo S. Afong, which I just finished reading, is filled with the word Marine typed with a lower case m. See "marine" so frequently I thought that maybe I was mistaken about using an upper case M when spelling Marine. Thanks for the update.
    Gary

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Use 'M' capitol in our presence,,, That will suffice.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    THIS MILO CHARACTER WAS PROBABLY NEVER A US.MARINE?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by FISTFU68
    That was my 1st thought.

I've seen the little m before, and it always, not only pizzed me off, but I could seem to tell that the author WAS NOT a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Osotogary
    I've been a member now for, I'm guessing, a little over five years now and this question I am about to ask I don't really recall asking it or if I saw this question and following answer before....bear with me.
    I just finished reading a book about Marine Corps Scout/Snipers in Iraq and the word "marine" was always written with a lower case "m" unless the word "marine " was starting a sentence. My question is, when is it proper to capitalize the M in Marine? I know that a lot of good natured ball busting gets directed to those, especially, poolies and newbies who do not capitalize the word Marine. What's the scoop? My guess is that as soon as the word becomes "formal" as in United States Marine Corps or at the beginning of a sentence, eg., Marine, what the %$#@ are you doing?, the M is upper case; all other usages of the word Marine are begin with a lower case m. Am I on the right track, Marines or marines?
    Gary
    Marine, Marines, Semper FI, Leatherneck, Got It.

Credits
    Savings
    Marine, Marines, Semper FI, Leatherneck, Got It.
    I always did get it SGT7477 but I thought that this question was a good one to ask for those not quite familiar with this website's protocol who might be lurking. I'll take the heat for asking such a question as long as someone learns appropriately from those who know.

FISTFU68-
    Name- Sergeant Afong, M.
    Billet- Scout/Sniper Team Leader
    Area of Operations- City of Hit, Al Anbar Province, Operation Iraqi Freedom II,August 2004-February 2005

MarineNCO
    An excellent point and an excellent example.

I Use All Capital Letters Because There's So Dammed Many Old People Like Me On These Forums We Can't See The Small Letters. Thats All I Got To Say.

Quote Originally Posted by Osotogary
    I always did get it SGT7477 but I thought that this question was a good one to ask for those not quite familiar with this website's protocol who might be lurking. I'll take the heat for asking such a question as long as someone learns appropriately from those who know.

FISTFU68-
    Name- Sergeant Afong, M.
    Billet- Scout/Sniper Team Leader
    Area of Operations- City of Hit, Al Anbar Province, Operation Iraqi Freedom II,August 2004-February 2005

MarineNCO
    An excellent point and an excellent example.
    That's ok just so we are on the same page.

Marine is the same word as describing a "soldier" an "airman" or "sailor" which do not require capitilization unless in front of a persons name.

If you are referring to an institution...Marines as a shortened version of the US Marines, it requires capitilization.

A book from those who served, should, in my opinion, be capitilized.

Quote Originally Posted by FISTFU68
    One thing about Jack...he uses caps for ALL WORDS, hahahah, Semper Fi brother.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    WOW,IM UNIMPRESSED(LOL) SO HE WAS A scout sniper MARINE

Thread Information