Thomas A. Craigg Jr. USMC
Create Post
    Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

Thomas A. Craigg Jr. USMC

Thomas Arthur Craigg Jr.
    JACKSONVILLE - Gunnery Sgt. Thomas Arthur Craigg Jr., retired, U.S. Marine Corps, 90, of Jacksonville, died Sunday, March 2, 2008, at Britthaven of Onslow.
    Funeral services will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday, March 5, 2008, at Johnson Funeral Home in Jacksonville will full military honors and Masonic rites.
    Mr. Craigg was a young man from Sulpher Springs, Ark., when at the age of 22, he enlisted Sept. 17, 1940, in the U.S. Marine Corps. More than a year before America's official entry into World War II. When the war broke out, Pfc. Tom Craigg was on the Philippine island of Luzonin.
    FALL of BATAAN
    The war in the Pacific officially began Dec. 7, 1941, with the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Soon after, the Japanese launched a successful offensive against Bataan. Pfc. Craigg was in the 4th Marine Regiment under operational control of the Army, Gen. MacArthur's forces. Pfc. Craigg and his unit were ordered to the Battaan Peninsula to defend it and the island of Corregidor against overwhelming large Imperial Japanese forces. Despite a valiant defense, the outnumbered defenders were ordered to surrender April 9, 1942. Tom was wounded in action while defending the Philippines on May 2, 1942, at Corregidor and taken prisoner by the Japanese. He was transported to Japan
    In a hell ship, he was forced to shovel coal in Japanese coal mines, 12 hours a day for almost 2� years. POW May 6, 1942, to Aug. 26, 1945.
    Technical Sgt. Craigg, serving in Korea, was wounded in action Sept. 27, 1950, and retired from active service in October 1963.
    The awards for Gunnery Sgt. Thomas Arthur Craigg, Jr. include:
    Silver Star Medal, Bronze Star Medal w/combat "V" and Gold Star, Purple Heart with two Gold Stars, Combat Action Ribbon with one Gold Star, Presidential Unit Citation, Presidential Unit Citation (Army) with one Bronze Oak Leaf, Navy Unit Commendation, Prisoner of War Medal, Good Conduct Medal with one Silver Star, American Defense Service Medal with Base Clasp, American Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with one Bronze Star, World War II Victory Medal, Navy Occupation Service Medal with Europe Clasp, National Defense Service Medal, Korean Service Medal with one bronze star, Philippine Defense Ribbon with one bronze star, Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, United Nations Service Medal, Republic of Korea War Service Medal, Rifle Expert Badge and Pistol Expert Badge.
    Mr. Craigg was very active in local and state veterans affairs, where he has served as the North Carolina state and local commander for the Disabled American Veterans (DAV Chapter 16), lifetime member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9133, and a member of the Order of the Purple Heart. He was a 32nd Degree Mason (St. John's 1), a 32nd Degree Scottish Rite and a Shriner.
    Mr. Craigg is preceded in death by his wife, Allene Toler Craigg; and daughter, Sue McKnabb.
    Three sons survive him, Thomas A. Craigg III of Wilmington, Carroll Wayne Craigg of Carlsbad, Calif., and David Cox of Jacksonville; two daughters, Beverly Page of New Braunfels, Texas, and Joan Parrish of Manteo; one brother, Joe Barnes Craigg of Kansas City, Mo.; 10 grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.
    The family will receive friends following the service. Memorial contributions may be made to the DAV Chapter 16, 300 Sherwood Road, Jacksonville, NC 28540. Arrangements are by Johnson Funeral Home in Jacksonville.

RIP Marine, may the Lord welcome you with open arms

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    A Hero,, Worth remembering.

My great uncle

Gunny Sgt. Thomas Craigg was my great uncle. I found out today he passed, they are distant relatives. I didn't know him well, just met him once or twice mnay years ago. I am an Army vet, but not distinquished like him though, he's a real inspiration and model of American patriotism. I have a file of stuff my Dad gave me on him, and I included in that file this obit article, and it will be passed on to my kids, the next generation won't forget guys like this, I'll make sure of that.

I just wanted to say hoo rah to him, and I know God has a special place in heaven for great Americans such as this!

D.E. "Sonny" Craig
    Apache Junction, Az.

Thread Information