Collector thread! Show off your collection here! - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Richman,

I swear that I have never seen any ribbons like that before. I'll bet it was a real pain to replace them when the became soiled. Judging from the campaign ribbons, it looks like U.S. Army or USAAF of WW-II era.

After a second look, these ribbons show World War II service but would represent service after 1953 (the year the NDSM was established).

Credits
    Savings
    Has to be Korea time frame because of the NDSM and the AFRM. Embroidered ribbons existed up through the early 80s with the Army and Air Force. USMC seemed to end the use in the early 70s as I haven't found examples of them since that era. Air Force and Army are still authorized to wear them. I have mine directly sewn on my greens. I also have a set of the clutch back type for my blues, so I can wear full size medals from time to time.

Credits
    Savings
    The AF Vice Chief of Staff has a set he wears. Here is his picture. I have a close up picture of his set (before it was delivered to him). The pic is too big to post here.

http://www.af.mil/bios/bio.asp?bioID=6426

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by yanacek
    Richman,

I swear that I have never seen any ribbons like that before. I'll bet it was a real pain to replace them when the became soiled.
    Just the opposite. I have had a couple hundred people finger %$##$% the hell out of my set and they still look great. My BX bought version wouldn't last with the same treatment with all the normal oils found on skin and fingers.

Sewing them directly on the uniform is a pain, but they can be dry cleaned.

The embroidered ribbons became popular during the Japanese occupation (and the German as well..but that's a different topic..) and then after the Korean war. They were 'private purchase' by the individual.

Remember this was in the days when you *might* have gotten 5 total ribbons throughout your career, perhaps more, but you weren't adding a ribbon a year like some do now.

I've never seen a USMC set of embroidered ribbons in wear on a USMC uniform. Plenty of army and navy, and a few AF, but never seen USMC. They look very impressive.

These ribbons were sometimes worn with p/b so they could be removed for cleaning, but most of the time they were stitched directly to the uniform and left there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Sergeant Majors were authorized a distinctive belt buckle to denote their position sometime in mid 1943 or early 1944. This buckle was the old army pattern officer buckle as used during the Civil War. Not sure when it was no longer authorized for wear, likely the Korean era since SgtMaj Lynch probably retired with "20" prior to Korea. These buckles are rather uncommon these days. This one is unmarked as is the belt.

The dress blue cover...that is a dress BLUE cover! These were used from before WWII, during WWII (when the barracks cover was issued) and until just before Korea. The Blue cover is actually more commonly seen during this time period than the white cover is for some reason. I have the white cover as well. The brim is a nice thick leather and would have had to have been 'spit shined'.

I am happy to see the blue cover on this site as a while back I saw the movie on the history channel "Wake Island,
    the Alamo of the Pacific" and some of the pictures of the Marines that defended it and were captured were wearing this cover in the pictures they showed during the movie. I have inquired to many Marines that were in WWII and none could remember a blue cover (actually I thought it was black) so again thank you for finally clearing this up for me.

My new "Man Cave" is still in progress. I will have some new pics soon with "duce gear" and such.

S/F
    Finger

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jims room (26).jpg‎
Views:	166
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	5648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jims room (24).jpg‎
Views:	182
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	5649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jims room (23).jpg‎
Views:	179
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	5650  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jims room (22).jpg‎
Views:	184
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	5651  

AS PROMISED

Name:	Jims room (30).jpg‎
Views:	185
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	5653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jims room (29).jpg‎
Views:	167
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	5654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jims room (31).jpg‎
Views:	186
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	5655  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jims room (32).jpg‎
Views:	180
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	5656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jims room (33).jpg‎
Views:	179
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	5657  

A few more

S/F
    Finger

Name:	Jims room (34).jpg‎
Views:	169
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	5658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jims room (35).jpg‎
Views:	180
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	5659  

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    whats a gcr?

London fog

Quote Originally Posted by yanacek View Post
    Sgt Lep,

I too wore the horseblanket until the day before it was no longer authorized. It was a great piece of gear, especially since I was stationed in Cleveland. We used to call that hideous-gray coat "The London Fog" coat.
    We were in style before it was stylish, Sgt, Go out, and price a London Fog coat these days. Semper FI!! Ken

LOL. Yeah, believe me I know. Great pics finger!

58yrs and counting

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    The unfaithful fiancee, trash the ***** brings back memories.
    Got a 'DJ' from a girl I'd only known for a month. Went Korea, came home, looked her up, and married her. We've got six kids, twenty two grandkids, five G_G_grandkiids, with two more on the way. Scarey ain't
    it? Sempre Fi! ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenrobg30 View Post
    Got a 'DJ' from a girl I'd only known for a month. Went Korea, came home, looked her up, and married her. We've got six kids, twenty two grandkids, five G_G_grandkiids, with two more on the way. Scarey ain't
    it? Sempre Fi! ken
    Well Ken that was my first girlfriend when I first got into the Corps I dropped the cheating witch but my wife I have now I met her my last year and a half I had left in the Corps and this Jan the 22nd will be 32 years, got married on my birthday, Semper Fidelis.

Thread Information