Marine Movies - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marine Movies

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Fire Base Gloria! Great flick, put a Marine in charge and see what happens.

Jarhead was the best representation of a deployed Marine that I have ever seen.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Exclamation Kubrick was a BMW Commie...

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing
    How can you compete with Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. "Let me see your REAL Warface!"
    I loved "Full Metal Jacket", but, Kubrick, the director, meant to make the film as an anti-war (if not anti-Marine) movie. Same with "Platoon".

Both were cool for "action" but the meaning was the same for both movies: "anti-military".

"The DI" remains the quintessential movie about the Marine Corps and depicts how the Marine Corps thinks. "The Great Santini" (The Ace) is a more "human" (1970's 'sensitive') version of the same concept.

"Major Payne" is a closer version of how the Marine Corps really thinks than "Full Metal Jacket" ever was ("Major Payne" depicts how civilians -whether kids or adults - are ever so unwilling nowadays to put their selfish interests aside for just a moment while sh** is hitting the fan...and it was a straight up comedy.)

Sgt gw

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hood
    I would like to see "Fields of Fire" or "We Were One" or "Hard Core" made into movies.
    Semper Fi,
    Eric
    I read an obscure article about this a few years ago and apparently James Webb was on location shooting 'Fields of Fire' somewhere in SE Asia but haven't heard anything since. I just emailed his webmaster looking for updated scoop.

--->Dave

Personally, I think Full Metal Jacket and Heartbreak Ridge are the best Marine Corps movies out there. These new movies are cheap. Flag of our Fathers was also great.

Quote Originally Posted by gwladgarwr
    I loved "Full Metal Jacket", but, Kubrick, the director, meant to make the film as an anti-war (if not anti-Marine) movie. Same with "Platoon".

Both were cool for "action" but the meaning was the same for both movies: "anti-military".
    You right. Both movies are loved by Marines and soldiers but most don't realize that they are anti-war movies. Well not really so much anti-war but very critical of the military and it's role.

Heck even in FMJ there's a line in the end of the boot camp part were the narrator refers to the recruits as "phoney brave."

I'm surprised no one mentioned "Sands of Iwo Jima" or "Flying Leathernecks"
    Just my opinion but "Heartbreak Ridge" was crap, and the only really good part of FMJ was the Boot Camp stuff except for the part with the dead gook in the chair.

Sorry to hijack the thread but has anyone ever read the book that Full Metal Jacket is based on.
    Short Timers by Gustav Hasford.

The book is divided into three sections, written in completely different styles.
    The Spirit of the Bayonet: bootcamp, Body Count: time as a war correspondant, Grunts: time as a grunt.
    The movie mixed the two last parts.

The book is out of print and can't be found anywhere, I'm hoping they reprint it but I doubt they will. Meawhile you can get a free download on Hasford's site.

Yes i read Short Timers and recall the squad leader known as "Craze" lost it and cashed in not from a booby trapped stuffed animal but bouncing BB's from his Red Ryder air gun off the chests of attacking NVA which he kept slung over his shoulder as 'Back up' in the movie.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Until FMJ; a made for TV movie called Tribes, with Darren McGavin, was one of the best representations of USMCRD,SD. I had ever seen. Had the DIs down pretty good too.

Fire Base Gloria is a great movie and you should see it if you haven't. Yeah, it's odd that both Full Metal Jacket and Platoon were meant as anti-war but those are two of our favorites. Heartbreak Ridge was pretty freakin' cheesy and damn sure doesn't represent a Recon unit. I would love to see an outstanding remake of Full Metal Jacket or I guess a completely new version that was meant to show that hardcorps side but then in the end put us in a good light. That would be outstanding but I won't hold my breath. I am lookin forward to The Pacific in 2009 though. That should be squared away if they do half the job they did with Band of Brothers.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

Tribes, with Darren McGavin

Forgot about this one....very good!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RLeon
    You right. Both movies are loved by Marines and soldiers but most don't realize that they are anti-war movies. Well not really so much anti-war but very critical of the military and it's role.

Heck even in FMJ there's a line in the end of the boot camp part were the narrator refers to the recruits as "phoney brave."
    The quote was "the phoney tough and the crazy brave". I loved that line! Often Marines see anti-war movies as inspiration (hey, we are crazy, after all, we mostly, volunteered for this crap). Some non server tries to insult a Marine, it's usually taken in a way that was not intended. "Under paid, over sexed, teenage killers (Bess Truman?). the bulk of the Corps replied, "Hey, that sounds cool, that's us!". Killing machines, "yeah;so what's your point?". The reputation of the Marines as "the meanest of the mean" does nothing to tarnish our Honor and a lot to dis-hearten our enemies. The Japanese were convinced the Marines would ravish the islands, they were terrified of the Marine Corps. In war, that ain't necessarily a bad thing! Let the left wing hollywierdos keep "insulting" the Marines; we can take it, especially if they have some great pyrotechnic scenes thrown in!

Marine Movies

Eastwood used to make good movies as an actor. I only watched "Flags" once. It was too touchy,feely. The book was 1000 times better. The DI with Jack Webb was well done.
    Semper Fi,
    Eric

Ther was a movie that came out in the seventies called the " Boys of Company C'' about the Marines in Nam. Can't remember alot about it but hell I can't remember alot about yesterday. Maybe I'll Google it.

Thread Information