Display
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Display

Display

I don't know where the thread went to but here's a picture of the shadow box or display case I made up for short money.

I've got a set of ribbons, jump wings w/ anodized Sgt. chevrons beside it, an EGA up top. Below the rifle badges is what's left from a plaque that was given to me when I left CQB (the rest burned and so did that actually) On the left I have my airborne tab, with my CQB instructor name tag below that. On the right it's my name tags that are framing a dog tag.

Last edited by thewookie; 01-08-09 at 12:20 PM.

Just wondering are you wanting to ask a question or just showing off your work?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    stand it up a little higher,,, maybe on a couple a beer cans.

No, there was a post here earlier that has been deleted apparently, and the subject of a display case came up. I said I would post a picture of mine, and I did with an explanation. Do you understand?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    stand it up a little higher,,, maybe on a couple a beer cans.
    I just set it on the mantle to my fireplace to take the picture, but that's not a bad idea sparkie! Normally the glass case is closed and it's on a shelf in my office. But I had to get the right lighting

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Too early for a joke,,,sorry, didn't mean nuthin. Hell,,,i'm just jealous. If I made one, it would be mostly empty.

I hear you on that one Sparkie. Mine would be sad. I would only need something about the size of a playing card box. It's very nice wookie. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thank you Nelly.

I don't have much "original" USMC stuff left over because a while ago, I had an accidental fire in the apartment I was renting (sob,sob) so that's it.

But you can fill it with plenty of things I'm sure, there's nothing special there. Just some of my stuff that represents some good old stories,,,,

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CPL Nelly
    I hear you on that one Sparkie. Mine would be sad. I would only need something about the size of a playing card box. It's very nice wookie. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Yeah, mine would elicit a comment from my Drill Instuctor, "That's about ****ing humble!"

In the end it is not about what you have to show but the fact that you served your country honorably.

Let me tell you something, it's all just stuff. What really matters, like you said is the fact that you served your country honorably. I never cared what ribbons/awards/titles I got unless it got me more moolah, which I would then blow on girls and Saki! All that stuff I got there is mainly new stuff, but it's all just stuff. What will always remain constant is the great memories.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    thewookie-
    No, there was a post here earlier that has been deleted apparently, and the subject of a display case came up. I said I would post a picture of mine, and I did with an explanation. Do you understand?
    It was worth the wait. Good work. What kind of wood did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Osotogary
    thewookie-

It was worth the wait. Good work. What kind of wood did you use?
    Thank you. I bought the case, it's really a flag display case at Walmart, I think for $20. Then I got some 3" thick styrofoam that I cut to size and I covered it with some red cloth that all together cost me about $10 bucks.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Dammm, wookie, you are as cheap as I am! I bet you started out with about $40 and spent the rest on beer. LMAO

Well done. It's the cases that are put together like that that really mean something later on.

One suggestion....inside the case someplace, or on the reverse, type out your personal history and ensure it remains attached somehow. Not only does this 'personalize' the case for you and your loved ones, but 50 or a 100 years from now, will be a nice bit of history for a military collector. Remember the old saying "A man lives forever if his name is remembered".

I recommend everyone do that, case or no case. Even with "the little" that some of you only claim to have, most of your stories will be lost to time if you don't put them to paper...and attach them to what you have earned.

Even if you don't think that you did anything 'historical', or even worth remembering, you will be surprised at those who feel otherwise, generally starting with your immediate family.

As a military collector since I was a wee Leprechaun, I have hundreds and hundreds of pieces of militaria that no doubt had some sort of story to tell....and meant something to someone. But now, they are silent, because no one thought to just simply put their name and service dates on or with the items.

Something to think about, not only from a personal point of view, but from a historical one as well.

OK..climbing off the soapbox......................now....LOL

Thread Information