appropriate for Dress Blues?
Create Post

appropriate for Dress Blues?

I would like to know whether it is appropriate to wear my dress blues to a couple of events I have coming up.

Me: I am currently a Sgt in the IRR until Nov, 2009 after serving 6.5 years with an LAR reserve company (as an 0311, including 2 OIF tours).

Situation: I've been invited and am planning to attend two inaugural balls with my wife, both formal (black-tie) events. The first is partially a fundraiser for the Democratic Party, hosted by the Gov and two US Senators from VA (including Sen Jim Webb--former Marine). The second is an official Presidential Inaugural Committee (PIC) inaugural ball the night of the inauguration, which the new Commander-In-Chief will attend.

I am unclear about three things.
    1) Do I still rate my Dress Blues in the IRR?
    2) If so, can I wear them to a non-USMC formal event, such as an inaugural ball?
    3) Further, would it be appropriate to wear them to a formal inaugural ball that is also a fundraiser for a political party?

Can anyone direct me to the specific regulations that address this question? I can find the general uniform regulations, but they don't specifically address my situation.

Semper Fi,

Yes, as long as you maintain the proper grooming standard, abide by the height/weight standards, wear the proper insignia and awards, and are attending an event that doesn't bring discredit upon the Marine Corps.

mgysgt,

thanks. i'm always good on the grooming standards, so i should be good for the official ball. as for the other ball, a quick clarification--do you think wearing the uniform to this formal event that is also a political fundraiser is too partisan, or would bring discredit to the Corps, or am i good to go there as well?

Credits
    Savings
    I have a question on this also.

I'm sure everyone has seen the miniature hanging medals. From time to time, I've seen former military wearing them on dress suits and tuxedos. No military uniform mind you...I probably couldn't fit one arm in my Blues anyway...just the small medals on the suit. Are there any written standards for this? Is it considered appropriate? I have an executives meeting coming up in Feb. and would love to do this if its okay. Who knows, it might score me some points with the higher ups.

Credits
    Savings
    I found the answer to just about any type of uniform question out there. Here's a link...

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sit...hapter%205.asp

5. Wear on Civilian Evening Clothes

a. Males. Miniature medals may be worn on the left lapel of the civilian evening coat on ceremonial occasions, but only when strictly appropriate to the occasion. On the full dress and tuxedo coats, miniatures will be worn centered on the wearer's left lapel, placed horizontally and one inch below the end of the collar gorge. The top edge of the holding bar will completely cover the buttonhole. If current styles preclude wearing on the lapel, miniatures will be placed in the same relative position as if there was a lapel.

Thread Information