USMC Hazing
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USMC Hazing

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

USMC Hazing

I wen't to another website and they were talking about hazing in the infantry forum, because one guy got demoted for it..So I was wondering how bad the hazing is when you hit the fleet? Especially if your only an 18 year old and a boot???

Personal stories are appreciated

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    HAZING???? Thats not legal! hehe

We don't really look at it as "hazing" anymore, that's more for the Navy and Tailhook. Marines are given incentive training or remedial PT when they screw up.

That's the official answer, unofficially if you screw up, especially repeatedly, then you'll get stronger. With pain comes improvement. It's supposed to be designed to make you realize there are consequences for your mistakes. But admittedly sometimes it's just for good ole fun. In peacetime your mistakes are a good source of training, in combat they cause lives to be lost.

So, it basically boils down to this, if you're an idiot in boot camp or in the fleet, and you make everyone else pay for your actions then there are repercussions. We police our ranks very well, and have for years by identifying and correcting idiots. More often then not it's going to be done by your immediate peers not some big conspiracy like you might see in some movie. Most times it's justified but sometimes it isn't, but it is what it is.

I'll give you one example,,,,In Greece we used to have the boots and idiots bear crawl across the flight line with a full sand bag in the middle of their backs. It gets real hot on that black top in the middle of the summer. Or take them on gas mask runs in boots and utes.

Just don't screw up much and you'll be ok

Credits
    Savings
    I keep seeing the "gas masks in boots in utes" here and in other websites, is it really hard to breath in a gasmask or something? Or does it just get hot?

Quote Originally Posted by BlindZeal08
    I keep seeing the "gas masks in boots in utes" here and in other websites, is it really hard to breath in a gasmask or something? Or does it just get hot?
    Both, it's a great way to improve breathing skills which helps guys with their PFT scores, lol.

Credits
    Savings
    D'oh!

Hmmm.

I think hazing does occur, but some incidents are attempts at "leadership"...misguided attempts at leadership.

I would hope as professionals we are beyond the "blanket party" of Leonard Lawrence, but the truth is that the legend sometimes make their way back around in spite of ourselves. There was a semi-interesting post about the Russian military and the abuses that go on by "salty" troops to newbies.

I have seen several incidents occur and they were dealt with appropriately by the command.

Hope that answered what you were looking for. Oh as for being 18 and a boot....we were all there.... Not a big deal and you shouldn't get hazed just for being in the fleet.

I believe the statement a few years ago by the commandant was that the only initiation a person needed to go through was MCRD or OCS.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Marine Corps Order 1700.28, which defines hazing and the Marine Corps' intent on the issue, states that "no Marine ... may engage in hazing or consent to acts of hazing being committed upon them."

That's the regulation (order) My fellow Marines! So you know it doesn't happen......R-I-G-H-T!!!!!

According to the hazing order, any violation, attempted violation, or solicitation of another to violate this order, subjects involved members to disciplinary action under Article 92 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

That midnight blanket party for Gomer Pyle was only for motivation, not hazing! Right?

Semper Fi

Dave

Here is an interesting article for you on "past troubles"...

http://starbulletin.com/97/03/17/news/story1.html

No such thing as hazing. If someone tells you to pick up all the snow off the ground and put it in your cargo pocket, you're just policing the parking lot. Etc.

Oh yeah, gas mask, boots and utes. oohrah. Down in Honduras it got so hot and humid that they put the base on absolutely no strenuous activity what so ever. yep except for The Marines. While they were all hanging out in the shade drinking beer and swimming in the pool we were in gas masks, boots and utes running around them through the base. oohrah get some Marines.

Pinning on rank falls in that category also. I remember when I picked up my Blood Stripe I took a day off because I couldn't pick up my arms and could barely walk after going through the gauntlet. Oh what fond memories.

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

What about wearing hot ass NBC gear in the jungles of Okinawa, Japan

I'm sure some stuff still exist in small units but for the most part hazing is over,,

Quote Originally Posted by kaboom1371
    Pinning on rank falls in that category also. I remember when I picked up my Blood Stripe I took a day off because I couldn't pick up my arms and could barely walk after going through the gauntlet. Oh what fond memories.
    I got it pretty good also for my blood stripes. I got out as a Sgt., but you've got to think that each promotion after that gets better because as you go up in rank there's usually less guys to whack you?

But I think they really frown upon that pinning stuff now, I think a little "pinning" is okay but you know how it is with Marines. It usually goes too far.

I also got some nice blood wings on the DZ at jump school by the Marine Colonel liaison officer. He used a Kevlar helmet to pound them into my chest along with the rest of us that day we did our last jump. And then when I got back to my unit in Greece there was two guys jump qualed, our CO and the admin guy from Anglico. So they both got their shot at me, no helmets this time just their fists. Ever see how long the pins are on some silver chump wings? I never complained, because what would Chesty do? Needless to say they don't do that anymore either,,,,

Well, as a 5711, every gas chamber i run i am in boots and utes. technically you should have your blouse on sleaves down, or a MOPP suit...But i am always boots and uts, because it helps me air out CS dust of my skin easier. Not too mention while most Marines are in the chamber for 2-4 minutes, i can be in there up to 45 minutes to an hour depending on how many sticks there are.

Thread Information