Mos
Create Post

Thread: Mos

Mos

Dad was a Marine in WWII. He was a tractor driver, what the hell was that?

More than likely an Heavy Equipment Operator 1345

B2542,

There was an occupational specialty called "Tractor Driver." The specialty number was "244" and it was a billet within the Transportation Department of a squadron. Below is a photo of T/Sgt Harry Nash of VMB-613 on a tractor in front of a Marine PBJ (B-25 Mitchell). Nash was an aircraft mechanic but this is the type of tractor your father most likely drove.

Was your father in a squadron--possibly one that flew PBJs? Just a though in light of your screen name.

Semper Fi,
    Yanacek

I forgot to mention exactly what tractor drivers did. They moved aircraft to and from the flight lines and pulled trains of ordnance from the bomb depots to the aircraft.

Semper Fi,
    Yanacek

Credits
    Savings

We used to call them 'mules', and used them to tow around our 46's.

Thanks for the input, but I could not tell you if he was an air winger or not. He died when I was 3, so I have been waiting for his records to be sent to me. You know how long that might take.

Semper Fi
    Buddy

Buddy,

There is no telling how long getting those records will take. I would imagine somewhere between three to six months. I'll bet though that he was a winger.

Just for the hell of it, try going to http://www.vmb-613.com/site_search.html and type in his last name and see if by chance he served with VMB-613. If he did, I will be able to give you his serial number, rank, and a brief summary of his service with VMB-613 as I have all the squadron's muster rolls. I might even be able to put you in touch with someone who knew your Dad. This is a long-shot, but there are over 1000 names and I know a few of them were "Tractor Drivers."

Semper Fi,
    Robert

Sorry no match

Could'a been a "tracker" driver YAT-YAS

If I remember right they were called TUD-80's

Thread Information