Global War on Terror Service Medal - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thumbs down Dude

Quote Originally Posted by SmithAdrian View Post
    I know I'm a bit out of place in this topic, but would 0352 qualify for this?

After reading the second page, I see it says some reserve units get it and some don't. What would be the actual qualifications to say they did "enough"?
    First of all you don't rate to post here, second if you are going to be displaying your grandfathers medals and ribbons in your signature, get em right. Your missing the National Defense Medal for one, and two I'm sure there are a few more missing from there.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sooner View Post
    What form is needed for the DD214 correction for non-AD
    Just send a request along with your DD-214 to the Marine Corps Awards Branch they, will send you the medal, if you have the dates, and qualification period. Plus they will submit a update to MMSB, which will send you a DD-215 update stating the change on your DD-214. Semper Fi Brother.

Thanks, Devil.

Semper Fi.

Thumbs up KIll!!

Quote Originally Posted by sooner View Post
    Thanks, Devil.

Semper Fi.
    Not a problem brother, anything to help. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    So. While some would think this is very clear, there have been repeated questions and comments, mostly from new Marines, about getting awarded this medal. The key words in this order are "30 consecutive days" and "Support". (Or designated anti-terrorist for those totin weapons).

Recruit Training? No.

SOI? No.

MOS School? No.

None of those will/would qualify, because, simply put, none of them are 'supporting' the War on Terror. While the Marine is on active duty for those things, it's all training related.
    I've got two questions regarding this:

1) Is there a reason that the USMC and Navy don't award the GWOT after boot camp, but the AF and Army do? I mean, besides the fact that we're better then them, of course.

2) You make it clear that you're not going to get the GWOT until you're done with all the initial schooling, but I am in a weird situation that has my admin section checking the books, and I figured I'd ask your help. I have already graduated my primary MOS school, but the Marine Corps wants me to get my B billet for the MOS before I leave school. While waiting to pick up, I am on PTAD at 8th and I, doing the job I would do if this were my duty station. By the time I go back, I will have 30 days of consecutive service here. Would/should I rate the GWOT, even though I haven't been to my first duty station?

1: Because the USMC and Navy follow both the spirit, and the LETTER of the intent of the award of the medal, and not the 'touchy feely' nonsense the Army does. The Air Force comes and goes with the award, some tech schools tell the airmen to wear it, others do not allow it.

2: It's going to depend on how the admin chief reads the regulations. If it were me, unless your PTAD is, in fact, 'critical' or 'actually supporting' the GWOT, I'd say 'no'. Waiting another 30 days until you reach your perm. duty station isn't going to kill you.

In the top posting it says "a period of either 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days of duty" if you are a reservist then each drill weekend counts towards the 60 non-consecutive days. So after 60 days of drill you should rate it?

I personally do not agree with rating the GWOT-S at all, unless you are directly supporting anti-terrorism missions within the U.S. A buddy of mine earned his for 18 months of armed airport security on Operation Noble Eagle.

Sadly, my GWOT-S was the result of Operation Enduring Freedom back in '04. I came away with that one, the GWOT-E, the Armed Forces Reserve Medal with Mobilization "M" device, and an Air Force Overseas Short Tour Ribbon. I already had a star in my "fire watch" ribbon, so nothing new there. Came back looking like a war hero for one deployment. Only one of the ribbons was Air Force. The others were Federal, awarded under Federal criteria, so it cannot be said that the Air Force "gave" them to me like candy. Uncle Sam did.

BUT, the point is that although I "rate" and wear them, I still think it's overkill.

Bottom line: if your permanent unit regularly deploys Marines, either as a whole or as individual augments, then chances are very high that you will be awarded the GWOT-S within 6 months of your assignment to said unit.

It is one of the few awards you can receive without actually going anywhere.

Recruits shouldn't leave boot camp looking like war heroes. Sadly, some Airmen leave basic looking exactly that way, as it is possible for them to wear 5 ribbons fresh out the gate. Sickening.

I had to earn all of mine.

Brent, I feel your pain, believe me. When I was in Tech school I got into constant 'discussions' (we don't argue in the Air Force, do we??) about this exact topic (the GWOT-S Medal) with kids whose instructors TOLD them to wear the ribbon. I went, personally, to each of the instructors and showed them the reg, because it annoyed the crap outta me. When they 'disagreed', I asked them exactly what anyone in Tech school had done to support the war on terrorism? They said "We've always done it that way".

My response? "Great, it's been wrong for years, why don't you do it the CORRECT way???"

I wasn't a popular fella at Brooks, needless to say. But right is right.

BTW, I got my GWOT-S for being at the Pentagon on 9/11. 'Nuff said.

I was wondering if this picture was right. I mean the last my S1 said, we are getting the ICM and Overseas ribbon. Why doesnt this 'Cpl'? I could be wrong and when I get home I will know for sure. this was his pic coppied and pasted.

He may have just left it off inadvertently. Remember those are 'build a rack' photos you have to plug in the right stuff.

Mine (below) doesn't show everything I rate either.

LOL. You got plenty. I can recall the days (when we wore armor...***** to polish...never mind...) when if a Marine had 3 ribbons he was a 'stud'. I had 3 ribbons (MUC, GCM, SSDR) plus jump wings, rifle/pistol badges and people in 87 thought I was some kinda war hero. LOL. Oh, how times have changed, haven't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    He may have just left it off inadvertently. Remember those are 'build a rack' photos you have to plug in the right stuff.

Mine (below) doesn't show everything I rate either.
    Ahh ok. Thats my bust Sgt. I just get a kick out of all the people that the ribbons didnt add up quite right but I just thaught maybe I was told wrong. Thanks for the info on that signature dealy

No, no, no worries. Valid question to ask.

Thread Information