Global War on Terror Service Medal - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil Dmax View Post
    I was wondering if this picture was right. I mean the last my S1 said, we are getting the ICM and Overseas ribbon. Why doesnt this 'Cpl'? I could be wrong and when I get home I will know for sure. this was his pic coppied and pasted.
    I remember reading something about it online but I do not have the reference to cite. If he rates, it will likely be the SSDR, not the Overseas Ribbon (just a guess, as I cannot recall the details of what I read), and his records will eventually update to reflect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    He may have just left it off inadvertently. Remember those are 'build a rack' photos you have to plug in the right stuff.

Mine (below) doesn't show everything I rate either.
    I discovered that these ribbon rack builders are a little out-of-whack anyway, especially when you've crossed services. I left one of my ribbons off because it appears in the wrong order of precedence. Silly reason I know, but I'm a stickler for accuracy. Bad enough my SSDR is out of place, but I wasn't going to leave that one off.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Ok so I am still pretty confused on the criteria for this award.

One description I just read off Wikipedia said that reservists rate this award after being with their unit for 3 months or the standard 30 consecutive active days/60 non-consecutive.

Trying to get my blues ready for the ball next month and needing to know if I am going to rate this or not. Spoke with a few others from my unit and they believe I rate it along with them according to that criteria..??...

any help or update to this would be very much appreciated

don't use wiki for medals.

go do a search in the maradmins.

better yet, email your Plt Sgt and have him/her find out.

If your Marine Online shows that you have it under Awards, then you rate and can wear it. However, I always thought it was 30 days at our unit, but my friends and I from comm school all have it under our MOL Awards section along with the National Defense and we've only been here a little over a week.

Quote Originally Posted by dizark View Post
    If your Marine Online shows that you have it under Awards, then you rate and can wear it. However, I always thought it was 30 days at our unit, but my friends and I from comm school all have it under our MOL Awards section along with the National Defense and we've only been here a little over a week.

MOL is not always accurate and his S-1 would have had to put him in for it. If he rates it and his unit didn't put in for it then you see why he's asking.

as I said, ask/email your Plt Sgt and he'll find out for you. There's a chain-of-command for a reason just like he is put in that billet to answer your admin questions and take care of those issues.

I didn't realize S-1 put in for it. I apologize for the lack of proper information. Thank you SSgt.

Semper learn Marine. ;D

everything in MOL is controled by 3270 and entered by S-1.

well, training and such is done by your training and well... crap, all your S-shops enter what their supposed to enter at any given time for what ever reason.

and after it's updated it takes about a day and MOL get's updated. I think they have a "updated such-an-such date" on there somewhere now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    LOL. You got plenty. I can recall the days (when we wore armor...***** to polish...never mind...) when if a Marine had 3 ribbons he was a 'stud'. I had 3 ribbons (MUC, GCM, SSDR) plus jump wings, rifle/pistol badges and people in 87 thought I was some kinda war hero. LOL. Oh, how times have changed, haven't they?
    Same here , when I went in in 88 there were people who had been in 6 to 8 years and all they had was a good cookie and maybe a sea service deployment , and maybe a Navy achievement medal .

Deployments to Bahrain this year qualify for either one?

Likely the GWOTEM.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdminAssassin View Post
    Deployments to Bahrain this year qualify for either one?
    a deployment that doesn't rate a campaign medal will get you the GWOT expeditionary medal. The Service medal is an automatic award once you have been in service for specific period of time, which I would imagine being that your a Lance you should rate.

So to answer your question, yes you'll qualify for both

First of all, I introduce yourself that Jesse, today I just joined here, I was just a working person, do not have what experience, hope can and everybody mutual communication, give me some Suggestions, thank you

Coach Shoes
    Coach Wallets
    Coach Handbags

This may or may not be a silly question, but from any admin guys out there, I need a little clarification...

According to the MARADMIN;

"NO MARINE WILL QUALIFY FOR THIS AWARD
    SIMPLY BY BEING ON ACTIVE DUTY ON OR AFTER 11 SEP 01. MARINES MUST
    MEET THE CRITERIA OUTLINED IN THIS MARADMIN, AND BE APPROVED FOR THE AWARD. MARINES MUST BE ASSIGNED, ATTACHED, OR MOBILIZED, IN CONUS OR OVERSEAS, TO A UNIT PARTICIPATING IN OR IN SUPPORT OF (INCLUDING INDIRECT SUPPORT) APPROVED OPERATIONS FOR 30 CONSECUTIVE, OR 60 NONCONSECUTIVE DAYS..."

and it further clarifies,

" DUE TO THE INDEFINITE NATURE OF TERRORISM AND ITS GLOBAL
    EXPANSE, THERE IS NO PRECISE MEASURE OR STANDARD OF PARTICIPATION OR SUPPORT DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY THAT QUALIFIES A UNIT OR INDIVIDUAL FOR THIS AWARD. THEREFORE, PER PARAGRAPH 4(E), THE COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS (CMC) APPROVES THE GWOTSM FOR THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS AND ORGANIZATIONS: HQMC, ALL OPERATING FORCES, SUPPORTING ESTABLISHMENTS, AND EXTERNAL ELEMENTS THAT MEET THE ELIGIBILITYCRITERIA OUTLINED IN PARAGRAPH 3"

I served 58 consecutive days at an Officer Selection Office (PTAD) before I attended TBS.

Would this period of service make me eligible for the award? Is recruiting duty not eligible?

The MARADMIN further clarifies,

"MARINES IN INITIAL ACCESSION TRAINING OR FOLLOW-ON MOS TRAINING DO NOT QUALIFY FOR THE GWOTSM UNDER THIS AUTHORITY (E.G., RECRUITS, OFFICER CANDIDATES, STUDENTS AT THE SCHOOL OF INFANTRY OR THE BASIC SCHOOL, STUDENT NAVAL AVIATORS, ETC). ELIGIBILITY BEGINS ONCE A MARINE IS ASSIGNED TO HIS/HER FIRST UNIT SUBSEQUENT TO ALL INITIAL TRAINING."

So, even if the PTAD qualified, would I be ineligible because I have not yet completed TBS and flight school?

Am I not eligible for the award at all until I've completed flight school, regardless of what else happens?

Any response is appreciated.

I would say you are correct, in that you are not eligible for the award as of yet, and once you complete flight school and THEN report to an FMF unit, your 'clock' will begin.

Thread Information