National Defense Service Medal - Page 7
Create Post
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

National Defense Medal

Like I said I should have got one,but I really don't care,They told me the reords building burnt down,and they lost a lot of records.I got a Good Conduct medal and an Armed Forces Expeditionary medal.Should have gotten A couple of Vietnam Medals,but didn't so no big deal.I'm just proud to be a Marine!
    Semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    I might be all wet but I thought one unit was authorized after the fact to wear it from the Grenada/Lebanon fiasco. I belive it was an artillery unit from LeJuene. Native Warrior the NDSM is almost like the awarding of the Legion of Merit upon a retirement of a BGen or above or a E-8/9 if the Marine hasn't stepped on toes. In regards to proving that you rated a bunch of fruit salad in the 80's I seen that first hand. Durnig change of command about 3-4 had FAR more fruit salad than the SgtMaj, soooo he had them remove some and only wear individual awards and bravery awards. This applied to E's and O's even if it was Vietnam awards! Come to find out the SgtMaj was just shy of 30 and HAD NOT ever been overseas!! He had if I recall just a Naval Acheivement, NDSM & GCM. The new CO was a Pentagon/HQMC type he had just GCM,Sea Service,NUC & Legion of Merit(was a retread and a padingus) Several senior NCO's requested mast but to no avail. If they weren't close to retirement I think they would've requested mast straight up to the Commanding General 2nd MarDiv

If I remember correctly, the awarding of the National Defense Medal is by date. I don't recall any special exceptions. The last 3 times were for the Vietnam Era, Desert Storm, and the current War on Terror. There are guys at different locations that have earned combat awards for special assignment, but did not get the NDSM. Grenada was going in to help them, not a "national defense" problem.

I have received it 3 times and all it means is that I happen to be serving during part of all of the last 3 issues of the medal. I did serve in Vietnam and in Iraq, so I guess those two awards of the NDSM have a little meaning. I was in the reserves during Desert Storm. We were called up, but never went. I still got it. It basically shows that I was in for a long time and has nothing to do with heroics or serving in harms way.

Correct. NDSM is by date alone. It cannot be awarded for operations, etc. Originally it was designed for Korea.

I got it twice

I weep for what this country is becoming, and fear for my children and grandchildren's future if any more democrats gain national office. We lose more and more freedoms every single day to creeping nannystatism and those who vote for Democrats only want to increase that. Anyone voting for a 'dem' is someone who likely wants to take everything YOU have worked for and mortgage your kids future as well.
    v/r
    The Malignant Leprechaun

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It was My 1st.outta any of My Chest Salad,and is very Special too Me,I stood Tall when I first rated it outta Boot(P.I)and till this Day it Is something(NDSM) I Am very Proud off.S/F

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Correct. NDSM is by date alone. It cannot be awarded for operations, etc. Originally it was designed for Korea.

I got it twice
    Some of the post on this blog mention the fact that some Marines had to quit wearing awards after they left a certain unit.If I got it right,the whole 3rd Marine Divsion had the the right to wear the P.U.C. for service in Viet Nam,65-67.I know they deserved awards,as they were the first large contingent of military units to go to Vietnam,and they were involved in a lot of actions,Star Light,Jay,Prairie.If my fading memory serves me right General Lew Walt was the Commandant at that time.David M. Shoup was Commandant while I was in the U.S.M.C.I had a friend that fought at Gudalcanal and Tarawa.He was a true hero,and said like all good Marines do,I was only doing my job,and the real heroes were my brothers that gave their all!May the Marine Corps live forever.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by pocatellodave View Post
    Some of the post on this blog mention the fact that some Marines had to quit wearing awards after they left a certain unit.If I got it right,the whole 3rd Marine Divsion had the the right to wear the P.U.C. for service in Viet Nam,65-67.I know they deserved awards,as they were the first large contingent of military units to go to Vietnam,and they were involved in a lot of actions,Star Light,Jay,Prairie.If my fading memory serves me right General Lew Walt was the Commandant at that time.David M. Shoup was Commandant while I was in the U.S.M.C.I had a friend that fought at Gudalcanal and Tarawa.He was a true hero,and said like all good Marines do,I was only doing my job,and the real heroes were my brothers that gave their all!May the Marine Corps live forever.
    Semper Fi
    P.S. I was in the Marine Corps from 1962-1966.Someone tell me I rated the National Defense Medal or if I don't.My grand kids think the only two awards I have the Good conduct Medal and the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal are neat,and I was their hero.I wasn't, and we only came under fire a couple of times during the Domincan Republic crisis,and one of them was from friendly fire,as a Domincan Republic P-51 strafed us by mistake!My unit was one of last units to qualify with the M-1 Garand rifle.We shot at the Marine barracks Bremerton range.I had a real good day, shooting expert with both the M-1 and .45 pistol.My skipper Captain J.J. Burke was a stern but fair man.He overlooked a couple of minor incidents,so I received my Good Conduct Medal,and was promoted to L/cpl,before I was transferred to the 1st Battlion 8th Marines,H&S company.

Thanks a lot.Yes it was a hurry up operation,and My Battalion was trucked to Cherry Point,and then flown to the Dominican Republic via C-130's.The first Marines involved received the Navy Unit Medal.We relieved them,as they had been on station for the heavier fighting.

Pocatello, you rate both the NDSM, and, IIRC, EITHER the Expeditionary medal OR the Marine Corps Expeditionary. Those two, at one time, were an 'either/or' type of deal. Now, because this was a 'joint' op, you may only rate the AFEM.

Have to double check the regs on it but you for SURE rate the NDSM.

I weep for what this country is becoming, and fear for my children and grandchildren's future if any more democrats gain national office. We lose more and more freedoms every single day to creeping nannystatism and those who vote for Democrats only want to increase that. Anyone voting for a 'dem' is someone who likely wants to take everything YOU have worked for and mortgage your kids future as well.
    v/r
    The Malignant Leprechaun

thanks,I was awarded the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal,and the Good Conduct Medal,and I now know I rate the NDFM.The 6th Marines,I'm not sure which unit,but I think it was 3/6,received the Navy Unit Commendation,as they were the 1st into the Dominican Republic along with units from the 82 Airborne,Some Navy vessels also received the Navy Unit Commendation Medal.I'm proud to have served this great country!
    Semper Fi

As I have read all the posts here I am reminded that on Sept 21,1965, graduation day from MCRD San Diego (we graduated in Trops) no one was awarded the NDSM in our entire company. I did not see any of these medals on Marines chest. When leaving Viet Nam in Aug 68,I still did not any medals. I purchased the ones I wore home from the Air Force PX in Oki. I had to go to Personnel when I reported to my permanent duty station and they researched what I rated and put them in my record book. I recently received from St Louis a package containing most of the ones I had earned including one new one--it was the RVN CAC, none of the foreign medals were included. So I had to buy them from Medals of America.

Quote Originally Posted by iamcloudlander View Post
    As I have read all the posts here I am reminded that on Sept 21,1965, graduation day from MCRD San Diego (we graduated in Trops) no one was awarded the NDSM in our entire company. I did not see any of these medals on Marines chest. When leaving Viet Nam in Aug 68,I still did not any medals. I purchased the ones I wore home from the Air Force PX in Oki. I had to go to Personnel when I reported to my permanent duty station and they researched what I rated and put them in my record book. I recently received from St Louis a package containing most of the ones I had earned including one new one--it was the RVN CAC, none of the foreign medals were included. So I had to buy them from Medals of America.
    Which unit were you with to be awarded both the PUC and the Navy Unit Commendation sir.
    Semper Fi

medals

Quote Originally Posted by pocatellodave View Post
    Which unit were you with to be awarded both the PUC and the Navy Unit Commendation sir.
    Semper Fi
    I saw your post asking what unit rated the PUC and the NUC.Iwas with VMFA-531.We were in Danang from April -July 1965.We were near the end of our far east tour when we went TDY to Danang fron Atsugi Japan.We were awarded both the PUC and the NUC for that time.Never understood why but there it is.I never received any awards I was eligible for since I was released COG on 15 July 65 since my enlistment was up on 7 Sept.Kind of wish I had received them just to wow my grandkids. lol I work in a high school now and the Marine recruiters are in the school often.Seems everyone sports a chestful of ribbons,but what with two wars going on they probably have earned them the hard way. Semper Fi

Medals can be a hard to understand,as in it takes some guys many years to get a medal they should have received spot on.My unit should have received medals for Vietnam,but because the U.S wasn't admitting are involvement,we got nothing.The Gulf of Tonkin incident was provoked by the U.S.,and planes from my carrier done the retalitory strike on the North Vietnamese PT base.Many planes came back shot full of holes.
    Many of you have heard of the Lt.Klusmann story.The Kitty Hawks F8A's were flying recon missions over Laos.I seen Klusmann's F8A after one of his missions.He got back with half a tail and many other holes in his plane.A couple of days later the triple A knocked him out of the sky.There were two Air America choppers near Klusmanns location,but McNamara didn't want to let them help,as it would put egg on the U.S.A.'s face.Finally one of the Navy big shots got the President on the phone and told him the situation.Johnson said go get him out.It was too late,as the clever Pathet Laos knew where Klusmann was and let him keep calling for help,drawing in the helicopters so they could pour it to them.The skipper of the Kitty Hawk had already sent one of the Kitty Hawks Helicopters to try and rescue Klusmann w/o permission from anyone!They didn't have door gunners on them choppers,so several Marines were on board the rescue bird,all with B.A.R.s and Thompson sub machine guns.It was too little,too late.The ground fire was intense,and the rescue mission was called off.
    The best part is that Lt.Klusmann escaped with several other prisoners.What a shame to leave a Navy pilot like he meant nothing to are government!
    My battalion 1/8 was doing the same thing in the Dominican that 3/6 was,and they got the NUC,and we got the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.No big deal,but are C.O. was pizzed!

Angry medals and politics

I hadn't heard the Klussman story,thanks for sharing.When we were supposed to leave Atsugi for Da Nang we assembled at the airstrip with C130s waiting like 3 days in a row only to be told to go back to the barracks and standby.We actually had boarded once only to off load and be sent back to standby.Finally we boarded,engines fired up but figured they would shut down again,but we took off.Actually they wouldn't tell us where we were going-big secret.We landed in Okinawa where we spent the nite.Another false alarm.Next morning we reboarded and took off-still not being advised of our destination.When we descended it was pitch black,no navigation lights and dropped right out of the sky.When they shut down the engines and opened the ramp it was hot and steamy,lots of activity and we were met by 6buys with armed Marines in them.Not in Kansas anymore Dorthy.We later learned the Japanese government was pitching a ***** about us deploying direct to Viet Nam from their soil.Okinawa had not been returned to them at this time so we actually embared from a US protectorate.I guess this set the stage for a decade of politics and bull**** in the proscution of a war that left many Americans dead on the beaches because of *******s like Mcnamara.You know the rest of the story. Semper Fi Tom

Thread Information