National Defense Service Medal - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by davblay View Post
    So, from the way I read this, a reservist who only goes to boot camp and SOI/MCT and school, is not qualified for the NDSM unless/until their unit is deployed or put on active duty status? But should/would not get one out of Boot camp? That's the way is was in my day, during the Nam years! I am just trying to get this straight in my old head.

I am sure we have some actve reserve members on the site, will someone please clear this up for me?

Thanks, and Semper Fi,

Dave
    I've got kids in my unit who have never deployed with 5 ribbons. WTF??? One is the National Defense ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by bobpettit View Post
    What is the meaning of "two or more periods" ? I was on active duty for 6 yrs. Do I get to wear the medal with 3 small bronze stars or 2 or just 1 ? I served Aug 1961 to July 1967. Served in Cuba blockade and a year in Vietnam.

Quote from Reg; "Sailors and Marines with active duty in two or more of the periods wear a small bronze service star on the ribbon for each additional eligibility period. "

Thank you for your service and attention to this post, Bob Pettit
    I read the reg on this one -
    If you served during the Vietnam Era or earlier
    If you served during the 1st Gulf War
    If you served during the current conflicts

Between these periods the NDSM was not being awarded - Depending upon when you served you might qualifiy for 1 to 3 issuances of the medal. Because my service time on active duty and reserve time stretched across all three, I have two stars on mine. It only means you served during a time of crisis...no big deal.

1 medal, 1 award sir. Your period encompasses only 1 'award period'.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Some here say (with all due respect) that medals don't mean anything..
    Well, i'm not a Marine (not even close!)

But, in my opinion, medals are to remind the Marine of what he has accomplished, and what he has done for his country. A wound is a Purple Heart, if it was a minor wound, a stranger wouldn't be able to tell that he had bled for his country, but that medal would proof he did. You can't look at a person and tell if he's a 'hero' and shows great courage on the battlefield.. But you can tell if he has been awarded the Medal Of Honor, Navy Cross, Silver Star or Bronze Star (for example)..

I personally believe medals mean alot to all the service members, because that way, they can prove what they have done for their country.. without ever needing to say a word. Is a man with less ribbons then another less of a Soldier/Marine/Sailor? No, it only tells that he didn't get the chance to EARN that ribbon/award.

But then again, i'm no Marine, so what do I know

Quote Originally Posted by Laurens View Post
    Some here say (with all due respect) that medals don't mean anything..
    Well, i'm not a Marine (not even close!)

But, in my opinion, medals are to remind the Marine of what he has accomplished, and what he has done for his country. A wound is a Purple Heart, if it was a minor wound, a stranger wouldn't be able to tell that he had bled for his country, but that medal would proof he did. You can't look at a person and tell if he's a 'hero' and shows great courage on the battlefield.. But you can tell if he has been awarded the Medal Of Honor, Navy Cross, Silver Star or Bronze Star (for example)..

I personally believe medals mean alot to all the service members, because that way, they can prove what they have done for their country.. without ever needing to say a word. Is a man with less ribbons then another less of a Soldier/Marine/Sailor? No, it only tells that he didn't get the chance to EARN that ribbon/award.

But then again, i'm no Marine, so what do I know

Ur point exactly

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by viper1833 View Post
    Ur point exactly

Damn, Marines are mean..

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurens View Post
    Damn, Marines are mean..
    You ain't seen or heard **** yet.

... and, your 'Favorite Quote', is a bit sick and lame, *******.

Favorite Quote - "Discussing Over The Internet Is Like The Special Olympics, No Matter Who Wins, You're Still Retarded.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    You ain't seen or heard **** yet.

... and, your 'Favorite Quote', is a bit sick and lame, *******.

Favorite Quote - "Discussing Over The Internet Is Like The Special Olympics, No Matter Who Wins, You're Still Retarded.
    I'll just shut up, since someone here can always find something wrong with anything I say.. Sure, i'm a kid, i'm a nasty civilian, but atleast try and educate me instead of always downtalking..

Unless I had to.... I didn't wear the ribbons. Gave the inspecting officers less to stare at and less to find wrong. You would get some young O1 or O2 who was given the duty to do the morning inspection. They boys had rulers and spent way too much time checking and measuring and such. Some of them had a firewatch ribbon and some didn't.
    Didn't need flak from some kid.

I have the Good Conduct Medal and the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.I fell in the proper time frame for the National Defense Medal,but never was awarded the medal.A case could be made for receiving the Viet Nam Service Medal and the Viet Nam Campaign medal I guess,as my ship was involved in combat,and we lost two aircraft to AAA during attacks.Several planes came back shoot up real bad,but we weren't supposed to be doing that sort of thing according to the news back then.Navel reservist rate the medals from 1960 till 1973.Advisers rated the medals from 1962,but we didn't even though we were in actual combat.It was another cover up and lie by the government.I just wonder why they omitted the N.D.M.No big deal,as the whole who deserves what medal has always been a little suspect.Officers get medals for pushing units around on a map,and winning battles.The grunts get medals for doing the close in stuff,getting wounded,and dying!Just my 2 cents worth.
    Dave

Thanks for the post. Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Welcome aboard!
    Semper Fi
    Dave

I read with interest the posts regarding the National Defence Medal. I went through the Island in Jan 1969 and we all called it the "Firewatch Ribbon. I wore one with my shooting badge when I graduated on 1 Apr 1969. Now for the kicker, I was a Reservist. After reporting to my reserve unit, we pretty much wore utes all the time. I don't recall wearing a dress uniform again after getting off my 6 months active duty. Years after I was out, I was talking to another Marine (a former 1st Sgt) and mentioned having National Defence and Good Conduct ribbons. He told me that I was eligible for neither, that my Organized Marine Corps Reserve ribbon was it. I went home and pulled out my DD214 given me upon transferring from active duty to reserve duty and it specifically mentions my being awarded the National Defence and also mentions the start date for my Good Conduct. I have been totally confused since then. It is no big deal, but I would kind of like to know what I actually earned. By the way, was it standard to not get a DD214 when being discharged from a reserve unit? I never received one from other than my 6 months active duty and don't recall anyone else in the unit getting one. The only paper I remember getting was my Honorable Discharge.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The DD-214 is documentation of release from active duty. I would have to look but I think mine also has a good conduct start date on it. There is a block on there that lists your awards and if it contains the medals you mentioned then it was either a clerical error or you rate them. Reservists do have a seperate and distinct good conduct medal. If you did 3 years on active duty and stayed out of trouble then I believe you would rate the good conduct medal. Otherwise you do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    The DD-214 is documentation of release from active duty. I would have to look but I think mine also has a good conduct start date on it. There is a block on there that lists your awards and if it contains the medals you mentioned then it was either a clerical error or you rate them. Reservists do have a seperate and distinct good conduct medal. If you did 3 years on active duty and stayed out of trouble then I believe you would rate the good conduct medal. Otherwise you do not.
    Thanks for the info. On another site, I had listed the Good Conduct, National Defence and Organized Marine Corps Reserve as my awards. I think I'll go back over and take off the Good Conduct and National Defence. I don't want to claim, even through error, anything I am not entitled to. H**l, just the title of marine is far good enough for me. Thanks again, and Semper Fi.

Thread Information